HyperNano ADA 30w Tank Thread - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
HyperNano ADA 30w Tank Thread

Hi all! First post on this account. I had another account on here when I was 12 that had like 700 posts but I forgot the password and felt it was time for a change. This is a thread I wanted to start to catalogue my progress on this tank, as well as to seek some help from the community, as I have a number of questions about setup that I would really appreciate some help on.

A little bit about me: I am now 21 and will be graduating from Boston College this May and starting work in Manhattan in July. For this Christmas, I thought it would be nice to start pulling together some pieces for a little tank to bring with me to the office after I'm settled for a month or so. I've had about 5 tanks in the past, ranging from a low tech manzanita scape, to a higher tech 29gal with pressurized co2, to a reef. Now, I'd love to really go all in on this office tank I plan to set up. I anticipate a lot of hours in the office and I'm sure a little tank space will be nice for stress relief.

My priority for this tank is to make it look as polished as possible. My Christmas gift from my parents was an ADA Mini-S (or 30w cube garden, as it's referred to now) and a chunk of "aquarium money". So far, since yesterday, I put some of that money toward standard Aqua Soil Amazonia, about 12 pounds of seiryu stone from BucePlant.com, an AZOO Flexi Mini light in silver, and a nano co2 diffuser. While this is a start that I'm definitely happy with, I know I have a lot to go.

My shopping list for right now is as follows:
HARDWARE/HARDSCAPE
-Nano co2 system (was hoping for one of those smaller kits with the tiny pressurized cylinder, especially since this is for my office and I don't want to freak people out by wheeling in a 10lb pressurized cylinder; sidenote, I'd be totally okay with a non-kit alternative and getting everything separately, if its better for quality)
-Canister filter (was thinking an Eheim 2211 with a single double tap release coupling to lever down the flow a bit)
-A heater (I was hoping for suggestions on a good inline option that wouldn't fry the fish. However, I know there is very little below 150w that meets that profile, so anyone that could make a suggestion on a nano-appropriate inline heater with compatibility to the 13mm 2211 tubing, please let me know)
-Lily pipes
-Thermometer

I'd really love advice on the filter, co2 accessories, and heater. Any input there would be awesome. I'd love for a slightly stronger filter, so I can place it on the floor beneath my desk and run the tubes through the open space for the wires to my computer (I've interned this past summer at my soon-to-be full-time employer, so I can know what to expect desk-wise). I'm trying to keep all the hardware (excluding the mini co2 canister) concealed, so the 2211 with a good inline heater is key.

The seiryu stone and Amazonia is slated to arrive around January 5th, so I'll follow up with some hardscape pics then. I'm shooting for a steep slope with a singular focal point stone, but the vision is better embodied via picture than words, so I'll include some hardscape follow up pics in the weeks ahead when that arrives. I don't intend to fill until I'm actually in the office, but I want to have as much in place as possible, so I don't distract any coworkers. That said, I'll be carrying in the tank with the hardscape finished. Consequently, I can mess with the tank over six months before filling

Thanks in advance for any comments you might be able to give!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick update with my initial setup and hardscape:

Link to the album can be found here. EDIT: have not reached 5 posts, so I can't post pics *just* yet.

Hopefully it is accessible. Let me know if otherwise.

I'm still waiting on the diffuser and the lily pipes, which are coming from China and should take at least a few weeks, not that I'm in any rush. I have yet to buy anything co2 related beyond the diffuser, so I'd still love some recommendations there. For filtration, I decided to go with the SunSun 602-b. Seemed like a neat little design and it was $23. So if it's crap, then no huge deal. Seemed like it had good reviews. I can report back when I get it in a couple days and test it out in the sink.

As you'll (EDIT) soon be able to see, the hardscape is pretty classic for an iwagumi, but I've started to think about an audible. I'm content with just the stone in the tank for the hardscape (no wood), but I think I want to add some color and a bit of height to the finished scape. My thoughts for the scape are to do monte carlo for the foreground, staurogyne repens on the front right, back left, and center for a midground, some dwarf hairgrass behind the back central rock in the center, alternanthera reineckii 'mini' as the stem in the back left (trimmed to a tight bush), and maybe a stem of hygrophilia pinnatifida a bit behind the central staurogyne, as I think the longish leaves would look nice draped over the stone a bit.

Also, I could use some help thinking of the stem plant that grows straight like an arrow, oftentimes has a reddish/purplish hue, and the separation between leaves (the nodes) are like two inches apart. The leaves grow in pairs of two and are very long and thin. And it will grow emersed out of the surface of the water. Any help would be hugely appreciated. I might want to do a stem or two of that, for a mini out-of-water component.

Any comments on the hardscape (EDIT: when I can post it), help on the mystery plant name, advice on the co2 system, or general input would be awesome.

Bump: hopefully this can circumvent the picture issue. Just remove the space after the // and it should hopefully be accessible for view. Let me know if that works or not.

https:// imgur.com/gallery/6dncd
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is an update now that I've reached the post threshold. Just got my diffuser and lily pipes in today, also pulled the trigger on the aquatek mini co2 regulator with accompanying solenoid valve. Really pleased with the pipes and especially the diffuser, whose size conforms perfectly to the glass thickness and the diffuser "plate" hovers a perfect height over the substrate without any adjustment. I was really hoping to get one that doesn't necessitate the tubing being fed into the tank, as I think that looks a bit unsightly, especially if suction cups wouldve been needed to affix the diffuser or tubing properly.

The filter also arrived and has been tested, seems like it will work great

Still to be purchased, co2 tubing, a paintball cylinder, a bubble counter, a heater. Would love recommendations for the latter two!!

Update pic:
Link

Hopefully this is clickable now! Please, let me know if otherwise. Any comments or critiques would be awesome.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 05:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you can attach photos to your post if you want to go that route

personally i think the rocks make it look too symmetrical. play around with the formation/placement and see how you like it. as for the inline heater. there are hydor and sunsun, make sure you find the correct tubing size

-SF Giants WS champs-
Haters gonna Hate

Tags
30w, ada, aquarium, hypernano, office

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode