Salt to Fresh, Need help in starting right - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to SubMariner0805
Salt to Fresh, Need help in starting right

Hey everyone,

I am extremely interested in setting up a nano planted tank and I am in the beginning research phase. I am not new to the hobby and I have kept many freshwater tanks in the past that included live plants (although while successful I have not ever really attempted a serious planted tank). Approximately one year ago I set up a nano reef tank (10 gallon IM NUVO) and it made me fall back in love with everything aquaria. My nano reef has been largely successful and I attached a pic because I can't post it yet due to my low post count. However, I miss the freshwater side and am going to jump back in. The thing is, I want to do it right. I was hoping I could get your advice/recommendations for tank/equipment. Here are what I am looking for:

10 gallon all in one: I really want to have a similar tank to my reef to show the dichotomy between fresh and salt.

I am planning on running CO2.

I currently have an LED light that I was using for my reef tank (MicMol Aqua Mini) that I am planning on using for this tank.

Livestock/plants have not been determined yet but I really have always wanted a dwarf hairgrass carpet.

Other than that info, I am open to suggestions for which tank, substrate, and cO2 equipment you all recommend. If this information is sticky'd somewhere then I apologize for wasting your time and not searching enough.

Thank you all and I look forward to being a part of this community.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0850.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	812770  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Seems like thereís more reefers doing planted tanks these days. I blame Inappropriate Reefer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
yup seems like there are a few of us reefers on here! I to got the desire to set up a FW planted tank and am in the research phase myself... I was thinking a 20-25 IM nuvo black but might start out with a 10gal tank as I have it. also have a cpl 40br around to...

I am sure you have looked into the all the common AIO, like the flex, fluval, JBJ ect. but have you looked into SC Aquariums AIO its on the narrow side for me but it is often on sale. the problem I see in AIO is most of the time you have to mods them anyway so why not get a basic tank then add the goodies. that the way I think I am gonna go.

here a link to the 24gal AIO
24 Gallon Starfire Tank With Built-in Overflow 24x15x15" 6mm
good luck and keep us posted on what you decide and how it goes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode