2Likes
  • 2 Post By ThatFishThough
  • 2 Post By PoPoBTC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking to Better my Aquarium

Hi, all! I'm new here and joined because of an unfortunate accident... I was using a desk lamp to light my 15G 'rimless' tank (I took the rim off the top only; it had been chewed by my Gerbils when they lived there and was unsafe for fish), and it was accidentally knocked into the aquarium. Luckily the aquarium is mostly okay, save for a couple of misplaced rocks and uprooted plants.

I'm looking for advice on how to better the tank. I want to do a massive redo; currently the Wisteria is taking over the tank, the Crypts are melting, the Corkscrew Val is (slowly) growing and the Amazon Sword has almost white-lime-yellow leaves. I think the S. Repens is doing okay, it is compact but bushy and growing slowly.

I have an Aqueon Quiet Flow 20 with Pothos growing in the filter. Currently it doesn't have a heater but the tank is in an temp-controlled room and it stays at a constant 78*. Black sand substrate w/ root tabs (that I should probably put more in of, now that I think about it; it's been about 4 months but after stirring up the sand and doing a revamp 2 months ago, the two I have in the tank were only about half size), river rock decor. I'd love to upgrade the tank but I simply don't have the space (you know, with 14 other Betta tanks...)

Stocking is as follows (It is overstocked but parameters are 0/0/0... According to the city water report we have a Ph of anywhere from 8.8-9.2! o.O I haven't been able to test it but the fish haven't had any ill effects...)

- x1 Male Betta
- x8 Longfin Blue Danio (4 are technically shortfin)
- x? Panda Cories; I can never count them. Originally had 8 and lost one a few months ago, so I'm assuming 7, but normally only see 5 out at a time)
- x5 Male Guppies
- x3 Ivory Mystery Snails (2 are pretty small, from a clutch that my adult Ivories had. Split the adults up after finding the clutch! The 3rd is an adult.)
- x3 Amano Shrimp (To control the Hair Algae that overrun my tank this past summer; As far as I know they're still alive but I don't see them out often.)

I'm open to any and all suggestions. I do have two 20G longs that could be converted into planted tanks. I would love to get a custom 30x18x24 tank (about 56g, the max size that I can have on this desk) but am restricted by both parents and money. I do have a source of money but it's not consistent nor does it pay much.

ETA: Apparently I can't create a new post with 'Go Advanced'. It just adds "Bump:" to this post without bringing up a box to write stuff in.... Here's a picture of the tank when I started it, and then one from a couple of months ago (which I have since redone and sadly it doesn't look nearly as good. )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7044.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	812602  

Name:	IMG_7583.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	812610  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update: I redid the tank yesteday; trimmed the Wisteria, removed melting parts of the crypts, and gave new root tabs to the Sword and the Val. It looks really underplanted because I moved the hardscape from a center piece to a pile of rocks in each corner that slowly 'tumble' towards the center of the tank. I'll upload a pic tonight. Still looking for ideas on things like photoperiod, new lights, better filter, hardscape, CO2, etc... I want a total revamp!
PoPoBTC and PoPoBTC like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 04:35 PM
Algae Grower

Honestly I think you are good with what you have right now. You might think about moving the filter to a different side of the tank, I can't tell if you have dead zones where the water isn't being turned over or not from your pictures. You could think about putting sand in between the rocks so that there is a place you could plant some plants may give you a different look. CO2 isn't really necessary for the plants that you have currently.

Did you replace the bulb in your lamp recently? Because I do think I notice your problem and the reason that your plants are melting. If the top picture is of your tank currently and the bottom tank is the old tank. Your problem may be your light bulb. In the top picture your lighting is a warm yellow color which tells me you have a bulb that is in the 3000K range. That isn't a good bulb to grow plants with. You need a light similar to the color in the bottom picture which is bright white with a 6500K. You can pick up two 6500K CFL bulbs for about $8. Hope that helps.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The top is the color it was when I started the tank. We did change the bulb a few weeks ago because the light burnt out; I see what you mean on the color. I have since changed the aquascape again and it's not where I want it.... grrr...

I'd like one of the new Finnex Planted+ CCs or whatever. They're way out of my price range. I'll check into the bulbs you mentioned by my mom is pretty adamant that I get an actual aquarium light.

ETA: here it is now. The goal with this scape was to give the swords as much light as possible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8397.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	813946  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode