Picos anyone? Show your tanks.... - The Planted Tank Forum
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Picos anyone? Show your tanks....

Looks like the last show you tiny tank thread was about 2 years ago. Thought maybe we could start a new one since a lot of the pics in the old one are busted thanks to crapbucket.

Anyways...been throwing around the idea of doing a low tech tank for my office...needs to be pretty small though. An 8" cube is about as large as I can go. Thought maybe a few plants and something small like a baby oscar. They only grow to the size of the tank right?

Seriously...heavily planted...might play with Walstad method...few shrimp, call it good. I work 4 on 4 off so I can't do fish or anything that needs feed more than every 4 days...shrimp and snails are the only thing I know that will work in an established tank. So post up your setups.

Add as much detail as you can if you don't mind...hardware, livestock, ect. Or just post pics. Anything for some inspiration is appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 01:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
In my experience, no fish truly grows to the size of the tank it's in, especially large cichlids. Oscars can top out at around 16 inches, and while they may grow slightly smaller than that if kept in inadequate space, they'll end up deformed and unhealthy, as well as probably skittish and thus, frequently injured, as they have a habit of dashing around the tank if startled and running into decor. Keeping one in an 8x8 wouldn't work.

Look into Bolivian rams. I have a single male in one of my smaller tanks (12x12) and he's doing great. Bolivians don't have the same temperature and water quality requirements that German blue rams have, making them a little easier to keep. Plus, they're cichlids: you still get that same great personality, just packed into 2 inches of fish.

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I guess you missed my bad attempt at making a joke in regards to the Oscar.

As far as any fish...I have no intentions of putting any fish into this tank. First of all...way too small. I wouldn't even put a Betta in it. Second...and most importantly...I'm off 4 days in a row every week so I don't want to have to go to my office on my off days to feed the fish. Shrimp no worries. A few shrimp in a well planted tank will have more than enough to eat for 4 days while I'm gone. Lid on the tank to minimize evaporation. Dirted tank so I don't even need to dose. Light on a timer. Hopefully a pretty simple relatively maintenance free setup.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 03:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, I saw the number of posts and was like, really? I guess my humor is taking a day off...

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB79 View Post
Yeah, I saw the number of posts and was like, really? I guess my humor is taking a day off...
My delivery of humor took the day off too

post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 02:25 PM
Planted Member

Scarlet "Badis" (Dario dario) make excellent nano fish for such a tank, BTW.

post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Algae Grower

I have an 8" cube tank that I'm in the process of upgrading to a 10" (4 gallon) cube. The 8" started out with a planned scape (first picture) but without dosing any ferts the thick flame moss wall and cardimine lyrata died off. From there I just let everything grow out into a giant jungle mess as seen in the second picture. The last picture is of the new 10" scape (you'll have to forgive my horrible photography skills).

Started off the 8" with a single pregnant orange cherry shrimp and ended up with about 30. I then added a wild brown cherry that hitched a ride with an online plant order. She apparently had some interesting genes, as I ended up with higher grade reds and even some red rili. I also have 2 horned nerites in the tank. I only feed 1 single crushed up veggie/spirulina pellet (bought from an eBay seller) once every 1.5-2 weeks.

Some info on the 8" budget build:

Equipment:
Aquaculture (Walmart) 5-15 gallon air pump (comes with a check valve)
$3 eBay sponge filter rated for 5 gallon tank
No heater necessary (light heats the tank sufficiently)

Lighting:
Fluval Mini Compact 13w Lamp

Plants:
Flame Moss (Failed)
Cardimine Lyrata (Failed)
Subwassertang
Anubias Nana
Anubias Nana Petite
Water Sprite
Needle Leaf Java Fern
Dwarf Water Lettuce

Other Information:
Lots of spider and cholla wood to gather biofilm
No fertilizers, no CO2
Weekly 20-30% water changes
Undetectable nitrates; could probably go with as little as monthly 30% water changes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views:	284
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	812026  

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	812034  

Name:	FullSizeRender (2).jpg
Views:	275
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	812042  

daFrimpster, tredford and sakura83 like this.

4 Gallon Heavily Planted
6.5 Gallon Heavily Planted
20 Gallon Lightly Planted
29 Gallon Moderately Planted
75 Gallon Moderately Planted
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
What size defines a pico? I'm thinking under 3 Gallons, but there' no hard and fast rules I guess.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah...That's my thinking...definitely under 5g but IMO 3 or less. As far as this thread...I'd like to see things try to stay at 5 gallon or less.

post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Well that pretty much qualifies all my current tanks, although I am working on a 60P. I always like my Money Tree 0.9G Pico. You've probably seen it before. It probably only held like 0.1G in actual water, but it was sorta - Houseplant meets Planted Aquarium. Had this setup for around 2 years.

Peacock Moss grow well above the water line

post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

haha...yeah...that's pretty sweet. Thought about doing something similar with a Peace Lilly. I'd like to be able to have enough room in the tank for some shrimp...maybe. Which shouldn't be too much an issue if I go with the 8" cube (3g) tank I was looking at.

post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 06:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
haha...yeah...that's pretty sweet. Thought about doing something similar with a Peace Lilly. I'd like to be able to have enough room in the tank for some shrimp...maybe. Which shouldn't be too much an issue if I go with the 8" cube (3g) tank I was looking at.
I've raised tons of shrimp in a 1/2 gallon bowl. They'd have no issue with a larger tank like that
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 01:55 PM
Algae Grower

New to this community! I currently have a 0.4 gallon low tech "betta" cube:

FLORA
Vesicularia dubyana - Java Moss
Salvania aurucalata - Butterfly Fern
Lemna Minor - Common duckweed
one mystery plant

FAUNA
One baby ramshorn snail

post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 06:33 PM
Planted Member

Nice little water box, @miachoi. Where do you keep this? Natural lighting or other?

I have a couple of ramshorns that I kept for quite a while in the 0.9g marina cube, no troubles. I eventually moved them to a 4g just to change up the 0.9 that is in work - will post it next week perhaps.
I think I’m liking the ramshorn fauna in a pico, more than shrimp. Lower maint, and makes for a stationary scape. Shrimp are awesome (I have many), but sometimes I want more of a sculpture-type tank, without any real motion. Office desk ready, perhaps.

I can only grow plants when they're completely under water. Everything else is doomed.
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 04:53 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus01 View Post
Nice little water box, @miachoi. Where do you keep this? Natural lighting or other?

I have a couple of ramshorns that I kept for quite a while in the 0.9g marina cube, no troubles. I eventually moved them to a 4g just to change up the 0.9 that is in work - will post it next week perhaps.
I think I’m liking the ramshorn fauna in a pico, more than shrimp. Lower maint, and makes for a stationary scape. Shrimp are awesome (I have many), but sometimes I want more of a sculpture-type tank, without any real motion. Office desk ready, perhaps.
Thanks Proteus! I keep it on my desk so its receives some natural lighting in the day. I turn on a desk lamp at night for about 5 hours. The ramshorn is adorable but I do foresee some problems with aeration - he's been coming up to the surface quite a few times (I suspect) to take in oxygen. I'll definitely be moving him into my parent's mature shrimp tank when he's bigger.

Do post your 0.9 when it's ready! I'm actually looking for a slightly bigger tank, perhaps a 1 gal cube from my LFS, we'll see

Nano tanks below 2 gallons only, I love a challenge

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode