First Nano Tank - Need some help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First Nano Tank - Need some help

Hello Everyone!!

I'm new to the forum and planted tanks. I have been in the reefing hobby for many years now and always wanted to try planted tanks.

I need some help with my first nano tank I want to start! I wanted to start low tech(for a while) and then add CO2 but I am stuck on lighting, I wanted to order a "UNS 5N tank" but can't seem to decide on the best lighting for it, was also thinking of ordering the "flexi mini scape set" but not sure if that was too much light. I also saw a UNS 5N kit on "glass aqua" that included a light but not sure if that light would be enough.

I want to grow Bucephalandra, anubias, moss, HC, cryptocryne parva mini and some others. If anyone could recommend a led light to start off with that would be awesome!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 07:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristym1456 View Post
Hello Everyone!!

I'm new to the forum and planted tanks. I have been in the reefing hobby for many years now and always wanted to try planted tanks.

I need some help with my first nano tank I want to start! I wanted to start low tech(for a while) and then add CO2 but I am stuck on lighting, I wanted to order a "UNS 5N tank" but can't seem to decide on the best lighting for it, was also thinking of ordering the "flexi mini scape set" but not sure if that was too much light. I also saw a UNS 5N kit on "glass aqua" that included a light but not sure if that light would be enough.

I want to grow Bucephalandra, anubias, moss, HC, cryptocryne parva mini and some others. If anyone could recommend a led light to start off with that would be awesome!!

Welcome!

HC is a plant that really benefits from co2, all plants do... I would seriously consider a pressurized co2 system it can save you a lot of headache and is probably the best investment in planted tanks. I don't think that HC is even possible w/o co2 (correct me if I am wrong).

I really love my chihiros rgb plants grow great and I like the looks of it. Livestock also very nice colors. The chihiros rgb 30 is nice for your tank and also comes with dimmer. Very handy!

Chihiros RGB LED, about 8000K made up of color LEDs

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 10:40 PM
Planted Member

Lots and lots of tank logs or diaries or whatever to read here, you wonít find a shortage of examples. Specifically, youíll find lots of advice on how to start (and lots of debates). My key advice for that: have patience. Then, have some more. Most would agree that reefs are more difficult, so perhaps youíll find fresh planted easy!

The plants you list (Bucephalandra, anubias, moss, HC, cryptocryne parva mini and some others) donít have seriously demanding light needs - except for HC. So, figure out what your carpet will need, and the rest will likely be just fine. Also, only the crypt and HC need roots in the substrate - something to consider for your scape.

A shorter tank needs less light strength to get the needed PAR etc. at the substrate (a nice benefit of nanos), so you really have your choice of lights - pick a shape, style, and color you want. I do suggest you go higher power than you need, as dialing back on-time is easier than trying to add more light (and likely cheaper over time).

As others will say, HC needs CO2 in most cases, but especially if youíre looking for a picturesque carpet. I donít do CO2, so I donít try for carpets like that anymore. Crypt Parva works well in the front for my style (which is cheap, super easy, and good for fiddling around with).

Please keep this post or another up to date with photos. I enjoy when salty folks go planted - theyíre more likely to try new things. Welcome, and enjoy.

I can only grow plants when they're completely under water. Everything else is doomed.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Thank you!! I will definitely keep up to date with photos once I start!!

I found a light on ebay but not sure if it would work "Chihiros C-Series"

Also saw this one on marinedepot "Aquaticlife Reno"

They don't have any reviews or par readings so wasn't sure about them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode