Filter 3 marina cubus 0.9gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Filter 3 marina cubus 0.9gal

So... I maaaay have bought a bundle of 3 marina cubus "betta" tank (0.9gal each, 6" cubes, there won't be any betta in there, maybe a few neo shrimps) and now I'm wondering about filtration. If say, the 3 were set up side by side, could a single small canister filter (200l/h flow rate, for example) do the trick for all of them with a siphon tube between the 3 tanks ?

So the input would be in the first tank, that first tank would be linked to the second one by a u-shaped tube, then that second one would be linked to the 3rd one by another u-shaped tube, and in the 3rd one would be the output. Would that work, or is it a recipe for disaster ? I'm thinking that it would be a gain of space in the tanks, as well as less electrical sockets taken by tanks so small, and maybe more stability in the water parameters since it would basically equal a 2.5gallon, maybe slightly more if we add the water that's in the filter.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 02:54 AM
Planted Member

I did a syphon tube between two tanks because I only wanted to buy one filter. It was a disaster waiting to happen. I had some large hole mesh over the intake and it will still get clogged easily. Also, the water level was lower in the intake side aquarium. Also, the water flow in the tanks wasn't that good.

Maybe try some tiny HOB filters so the filter doesn't take much room in the tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My issue with HOB is that I don't have the space to put one on them. The light I'm using is already sitting at the back and it's already the width of the tank. (I'm not using the light that came with it but this kind of cheap lamp that's much more powerful)

I'm wondering what would be my options here... Run them filter-less ? Try to build a small canister filter for each of them somehow with a really reduced flow ? I really don't know. Air-run filters are a no-no for me as well, the noise of the air pump and the bubbles... I just can't stand it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thought about this before.
The only idea I could think of was vertically stacked and flow control pipes working top to bottom. Still is so finicky and hard to do that it's not worth it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Filter 3 marina cubus 0.9gal

I could probably chain a bunch of National Geographic Easy Clean 1g tanks together letting them overflow into each other and have a sump and pump back to the highest. They’d each have to sit on steps 1” higher per tank.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 07:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

What about a thin DIY sponge filter that covered the whole back of each little tank? run all 3 with a single air pump split 3 ways.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode