Switching from a HOB to a sponge- seeking sage advice and opinions - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By JusticeBeaver
  • 2 Post By JusticeBeaver
  • 2 Post By Nubster
  • 2 Post By aqua hippy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Switching from a HOB to a sponge- seeking sage advice and opinions

So I have a 10 gallon heavy planted tank, dirt with a sand cap. 1 betta, 20 RCS and 10+ ramshorn snails. Still newly set up, about a month.

I stared with the HOB and media from my goldfish tank but I guess Iím not super happy with how much itís blowing everyone around.. The HOB has a sponge filter covering the intake to protect everyone
Question is, it silly to add a sponge filter now orrrrr should I just make the switch? And if I switch I need to run the two filters concurrently (is probably put it in my goldfish tank and move it over as itís a larger tank and is well established)

I learned about sponge filters after being hardcore HOB and now I feel silly for even having this internal debate..
Anyone want to help me flip a coin here?

First time posting, forgive any newb mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I actually went the other way when I set up my tank. I had an in corner air driven filter and went to an HOB filter and am much happier. The bubbles from the sponge filter was just too loud for me and made my room sound like a fish store. Also there weren't many options for smaller sponge filters which take up a non-insignificant amount of space in my aquarium. Also the bubbles from the filter would spray water all over my aquarium top and since my water is hard would cause deposits everywhere.
rocklobstr and rocklobstr like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
I actually went the other way when I set up my tank. I had an in corner air driven filter and went to an HOB filter and am much happier. The bubbles from the sponge filter was just too loud for me and made my room sound like a fish store. Also there weren't many options for smaller sponge filters which take up a non-insignificant amount of space in my aquarium. Also the bubbles from the filter would spray water all over my aquarium top and since my water is hard would cause deposits everywhere.

Blahhh hard water!! I didnít even think of that! I would have the same issue :/
Maybe Iíll just stick with this HOB lol. I appreciate the reply!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobstr View Post

I've always thought that HOB filters are an eyesore but I got one of those marina slim filters which I stuffed with bioballs, sponges, and some filter floss (didn't use any of the recommended filters). It moves water a lot more efficiently than my sponge filter, makes very little noise and has adjustable flow. It is a bit weak even though I went a size up but does a much better job than my sponge filter ever did.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
With one fish you don't have much need for heavy filtration. A sponge will be plenty and be more for biological filtration anyways. Shrimp love sponges and the betta might appreciate a little less water movement. I don't find mine loud at all and it's maybe 6 feet away from me right now and I can't even hear it. And as far as splashing and deposits...there's just a little near the rim of my tank just above where the bubbles are but you can put a 90 elbow on the top of the lift tube which will direct the bubbles towards the center of the tank and create flow across the surface much more like an HOB does which will eliminate much if not all of the splashing a deposits.

You could also setup a corner HMF filter with directional flow towards the center of the tank. They work excellent but do take up a little space inside the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
With one fish you don't have much need for heavy filtration. A sponge will be plenty and be more for biological filtration anyways. Shrimp love sponges and the betta might appreciate a little less water movement. I don't find mine loud at all and it's maybe 6 feet away from me right now and I can't even hear it. And as far as splashing and deposits...there's just a little near the rim of my tank just above where the bubbles are but you can put a 90 elbow on the top of the lift tube which will direct the bubbles towards the center of the tank and create flow across the surface much more like an HOB does which will eliminate much if not all of the splashing a deposits.

You could also setup a corner HMF filter with directional flow towards the center of the tank. They work excellent but do take up a little space inside the tank.

Ooooo! The elbow! Thatís a good idea too! I kinda feel like with the HOB itís over filtering (?) and then all the plants on top of it.. its what got me looking into sponges... the great debate continues!
This tank is downstairs so noise isnít an issue to me. Thanks for the input!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2017, 06:07 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobstr View Post
Quote:

When I lived in Kentucky I had super hard water and one of my tanks had a sponge filter.
What I did was extend the tube the air travels up about 1.5 inches out of the water. I then put a cap on it (used a pice of tubing cap from Home Depot) and cut some slits on the part of the tube that was out of the water, all around the tube (like an upside down hob filter intake kind of)
This kept water from splashing up, made the flow from the bubbles a bit less intense, and kept water from splashing on my tanks lid.
Took a bit of effort to not make it look awful, but in the end was totally worth it,as far as cleaning hard water deposits goes...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode