25cm Portrait Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
25cm Portrait Tank

Empty Tank Shot
by JosephLeee_, on Flickr

This tank is a 25X25X30cm tank with curved front corners. The thread will be updated once every week, with more frequent updates nearer to the start. I apologize in advance for my poor photography skills!

Equipment List:

Ehiem Classic 150
DYMAX CO2 Diffuser
UP-aqua CO2 Regulator
Chihiros Metal Jet Pipe S
AST X5 10W Light

Last edited by JosephLeee; 11-21-2017 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Adding in image
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 0

Day 0 of my planted tank:
With all my equipment ready, it's time to buy hardscape and plants. For hardscape, I decided on a kind of grey stone, with interesting layers and textures. For plants, I went with H.C, S.repens, Rotala sp.green and Rotala bonsai.

Unfortunately, I bought both hardscape and plants on the first day, so I had to work fast. First, I set up my hardscape. I'm still not sure about this layout. I get the feeling that the main stone is too small for a aquarium this size.

Hardscape Setup

Unfortunately, I did not take any photos of the planting process, but here's one of the finished product, after setup:

Planted!

In the coming week, I will try to do daily water changes, as detailed in Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel, except without the water additives he uses.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 3

Apologies for the delay in posting, but here is Day 3.

Day3 Tank Shot

This is the tank shot of day 3. The H.C is doing fine, with slow growth. Since it seems to be growing straight up, I have increased the CO2 rate to see if I can get it to spread.

Day3 HC

I have been continuing with my daily water changes.

Day3 top-down shot

From the top-down shot of the tank we can see that the S.repens and Rotala 'Bonsai' has been exhibiting significant melting. While this might just be a sign of it transforming from emersed to submersed, I am starting to get worried, as the melting is very fast and there has been no sign of new growth yet.
(As of day 5, the S.repens has comp[letly melted, laying flat on the soil. When I tries to pull off he dead parts, the whole plant came out of the soil. Quite worrying )

Day3 S. repens melt

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 14

Sorry for the lack of updates, I seem to have misplaced my camera, along with some earlier photos.

Anyway, here is the tank shot for day 14.

Day14 Tank Shot

Comparing to the tank shot on Day 3, you can see that there is significant growth on the Rotala sp. 'Green', and some growth on the H.C, especially on the left side. The S.repens and the Rotala 'Bonsai' are completely dead, and I will remove them while doing a water change and cleaning the tank.
I have decided to add Rotala rotundifolia instead, which will be planted where the Rotala 'Bonsai' was planted.

Day3 Tank Shot

Last edited by JosephLeee; 12-03-2017 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Adding content
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day35: The battle against diatoms

Day28

Very sorry for the lack of updates. Between day 13 and this, I ave taken some photos, but have not taken the time to post. In that time, I have started EI dosing, and have planted rotala rotundifolia (tissue culture from Tropica), in the back right corner of the aquarium. The HC has continued to spread slowly. You can find more pictures on my Flickr page here.

Day35

Day 35: The walls of the tank are coated in algae, which is easily removed. However, the rocks are COMPLETELY coated in diatoms. I try to remove them using a toothbrush, stirring up large clouds of diatoms, which settle onto the substrate as a layer of unattractive whitish dust.

Day35
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 37 & 41: Amano Shrimp

After seeing diatoms overtake my tank, I want ahead and bought 3 Amano shrimp (or Yamato shrimp).

Day37

After adding them to the tank, the shrimp are a bit blue and stressed. However, they soon return to their normal colors.

Day41

A few days after adding the shrimp, the tank is much cleaner. The diatoms on the rocks are almost completely gone, and the various plant detritus clinging onto my H.C. are removed, leaving my HC completely clean. The amano shrimp constantly busy, grazing on various plant detritus or biofilm. Even though they don't have the bold colors of other ornamental shrimp, they are still 1uite cute!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 42

Day 42! First, a full tank shot:

Day42

I am concerned about the lack of a midground in my tank. Aside from the large rock on the risgt there is almost no transition between my foreground and the background. What can I do to remedy this? I was thinking of planting something behind the rocks, but I'm not really sure how well that would work.

Day42

The H.C is spreading well on the left side. The clup of H.C on the left is sending out runners.

Day42

I replaced my Dymax CO2 diffuser with a NEO diffuser. Originally, I was going to buy a Intense bazokka aomizer, but the NEO diffuser produces very fine bubbles, for a fraction of the price. However, it is very fragile, being made out of plastic and is easily broken if you handle it too roughly.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Help me identify this plant!

Ok, so there's this plant in my tank that I'm having trouble identifying. It was labeled as Rotala sp.'green' but after it grew, it seems to be something else entirely.

Day35

A photo from Day 35. You can see the jagged edges of the leaves, as well as the number of leaves per node, which seems to very from 3-5.

Day42

A top down photo from day 42, showing the leaf structure.

Day45

Another photo. The underside of the leaves seem to be reddish in color.

I know that currently, no one else has responded to any of my posts. But this is a good chance! I'm sure that you, reading this post must have some idea of what plant this is.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 10:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephLeee View Post
I know that currently, no one else has responded to any of my posts. But this is a good chance! I'm sure that you, reading this post must have some idea of what plant this is.
My guess would be limnophila hippuroides.
Maybe more growth better ID?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode