Struggling to maintain foreground/carpeting plants - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By houseofcards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Struggling to maintain foreground/carpeting plants

I'm after some advice if possible, currently on my very first setup and still very green to things so bare with!
I have a small 20L nano setup and created my substrate with the following;

1- small thin layer of JBL Manado Planted aquarium substrate
2-added a few seachem flourish tabs
3- slightly thicker layer of Seachem Flourite in black
4-slightly thicker layer again of caribsea eco-complete

I have a couple of plants that seem to be doing ok (Anubias barteri), however any small carpeting plants ive tried just don't seem to be taking.
The first I tried was Glossostigma elatinoides, which didn't last at all and I've recently replaced that with Tropica Hemianthus however that is starting to discolour.

Water temp is around 26 degress, and just this week ive started dosing with co2 (liquid form for now). Algae isn't an issue and Ive recently added a couple of amano shrimp to help out.

Hopefully Ive not made any obvious blunders and go easy - I'm still new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Your plant selection: Glosso and HC absolutely require high lighting.
You didn't mention what light, which is probably your problem.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I have to admit I've not given any consideration to the installed light.
The LED light is that which came with the tank, a photo of the spec below;

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 11:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Most if not all of the kit lights on a beginner setup really aren't intense enough for most plants certainly not the carpeting plants you mentioned. Not only do you need stronger light you usually need co2 to 'really' grow those.

You could try growing anubias, ferns, mosses.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.
I started dosing co2 with the below liquid, just under 1ml most days, its done wonders for the alagae (along with a couple of razorhon snails).

The plants issue seems to have slowed down but id rather look at a better light if possible.
Is LED suitable or should I be looking at something else? This is my very first setup, so really only looking at something entry level.
Any pointers or recommendations very welcome...

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
LED is fine, most here have converted over to LED you just need something stronger. There are a ton of LED Aquarium Lights for sale on Amazon and [Ebay Link Removed] I can't recommend an exact light for that size tank someone else might know of one. It's hard to estimate the strength of these light but just from experience you probably need something with 600-800 lumens for that size tank. Lumens is one of the indicators that usually mention.

Products advertised as liquid co2 are not co2 Your note it says "Co2 Booster". Real co2 is a gas. Products like this and Excel help with algae control and some plant growth but does not replace the demand for real co2 in some plants. Carpeting plants like Glosso and HC usually struggle without real co2 unless the substrate is providing some.
Adam1V and Adam1V like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 04:37 AM
Algae Grower

Ok so here is my 2 cents. I would recommend a finnex planted plus fixture for you aquarium. It will be a good med/high light for your aquarium. If you want to grow a carpet plant but don't want to go "high tech" with co2 injection I would recommend dwarf sagitaria grass. It can handle no co2 and low to medium light. The one thing you want to pay attention to when choosing your plants is what light levels are recommended for optimal growth. I am talking about low, medium, high light. It is designated by the par levels the plant needs. That light I feel would grow most everything you can put in the tank. Just keep in mind that not doing co2 injection your plants will grow slower.

One thing about getting new plants and putting them in your aquarium is the fact that "die off" is normal while they adjust to your aquarium. I honestly think you may have jumped the gun on getting rid of your first carpet plant. Always look at the roots and see if they still look healthy. If they are green or white leave it and give the plant time to recover. I had about half my plants die off and now there shooting out new plants like mad (I have co2 injection and high light).

Don't base the success of your plants on the anubias because they are a very hearty plant and are practically bulletproof. Your temp you listed is a little confusing due to not having a F or C to let us know the accurate temp. Most plants like a temp of 70 - 80 degrees Fahrenheit. If your temp is below or above that you need to remedy that. I think your mix of substraight is fine and should not present any problems for you. I think the best advice I can give you is to get a light actually ment for plants and be patient.

Here is the thread for my tank for inspiration. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...-low-tech.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode