• 4 Post By hivemindhermit
  • 2 Post By slamdi
  • 4 Post By jclee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking Simple Planted 5G For Lucky Rescued Betta

My friend was telling me how she got a fish for her 5 year old autistic son, and how he grabbed him and squeezed him and it died. Then proceeded to tell me it was an Oscar so I did not feel so bad haha but seriously an Oscar?! I guess they wanted the biggest fish at Walmart...

So I am at her house and I see a Betta in a typical bowl with some colored gravel and a plastic tree, she said that was round 2 and out of reach this time. I hate being near anyone with a Betta because it compels me to help the damn thing and turns into a time consuming project. I can't complain enough about the Betta industry, so I will save the rant we all know it. I could see an empty 5 gallon on her deck...apparently that was the Oscars home...a 5 gallon tank, no tank vac, nothing. Probably better it died because life in a 5 gallon would have gotten old real fast. So I told her I was taking that empty 5 gallon home and I would be back with it in about a week. I had to do a lot of educating in the meantime, the leaves on that plastic tree in its current bowl had pellets of food all over them I can only imagine the levels in the water column, I supplied NLS and insisted on feeding minimally. Water changes were 100% and required a stressful fish handling process it was a nightmare.

I went to my local pond found a great stump, hacked it up, boiled it, tied it to a rock. I used some fine small gravel for scale, if I had enough black planted substrate left I would have given her that. Decided that not planting anything in the substrate was probably best and to just use tons and tons of Java Moss with an emerging plant and cross my fingers they help export nutrients. I painted the back of the tank black, and supplied a $12 goose neck LED desk lamp from Walmart which seems to be the perfect amount of light. I did add a clean up crew of one Nerite snail and two cherry shrimp...it will be fine I have done it before and this tank has been up and running for a week now with no problems nothing has gotten eaten yet. The fish is very thankful and is fed 2 pellets twice a day of NLS so he has no desire to eat the shrimp or bite the snails antennas (I threw her Walmart "Betta" flakes and pellets away). This will lower the maintenance she will have to do on the tank and when the cherry shrimp are gone I will likely just add a single Amano shrimp but I already had the cherry shrimp and Nerite on hand. I added an Indian Almond leaf and gave her a handful of them to use over the next year or two. I also got her a gravel vac with a siphon pump, and replaced her Walmart water conditioner with Prime...and got her using Flourish. Strict weekly water change followed by Fourish and this tank WILL flourish lol. She seems dedicated to keeping up on maintenance, and the Java Moss and Pothos will help if she slips. I made it clear no water change no Flourish.

AlGee, AlGee, Syris and 11 others like this.

Last edited by Teebo; 11-09-2017 at 04:48 AM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 08:29 AM
Algae Grower

This makes me both sad and happy to read. <3

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Teebo, Teebo, slamdi and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- ~30G low everything, open top, dirted community aquascape ... thingy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 10:33 PM
Algae Grower

Love it. Glad you saved the betta.
I just set up this tank for the betta that my husband bought for our little boy--for me to care for LOL

AlGee and AlGee like this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 11:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nicely done. On behalf of that beta, I thank and congratulate you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Teebo, Teebo, pandagobyguy and 1 others like this.

7 hermit crabs var. sizes in 50 hex
2.0 guinea pigs

*rebuilding animal addiction after a cross country move.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode