5.5 gallon leak - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By scottedontknow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
5.5 gallon leak

So a mini disaster has struck. My 5.5 gallon tank has a leaking seam at the top of it, which news I found out when I was messing with the filter today. I had filled it up to within a centimeter of the top last night since I've got it cycling, but the leak didn't manifest until this evening when I was water testing and adding some filter media. It seems like the top of the seam might be pulling apart, but I really can't tell very well and it could also be a hole in the silicone.

I'm wondering what my options are. If I absolutely have to get another tank I probably could, but I'd like to try repairing it if possible in the interests of not blowing through my budget so early in the month.

For the record, it's a top fin 5.5 but the only thing I'm using from it are the filter and tank, and I've already removed about a gallon of water. Provided the leak doesn't travel any further I'm hoping to deal with it tomorrow.

If I can figure out the source of the leak, what are my chances of re-sealing it?

newbie | 5.5g planted | 10g planted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:30 AM
Algae Grower

Just buy another 5.5gal. They sell them for $14 at petco. If itís a seam issue you will need to pull all the panels apart to reseal then tank, and odds are youíll end up snapping the glass in the process as the glass is sooooo thin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nlewis and Nlewis like this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 05:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Buy another one, use this one as a terrarium. Not worth the trouble of trying to repair, especially since the silicone would probably cost more than a new tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottedontknow View Post
Just buy another 5.5gal. They sell them for $14 at petco. If it’s a seam issue you will need to pull all the panels apart to reseal then tank, and odds are you’ll end up snapping the glass in the process as the glass is sooooo thin.
Thanks for the tip! I couldn't find them at petsmart lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
Buy another one, use this one as a terrarium. Not worth the trouble of trying to repair, especially since the silicone would probably cost more than a new tank.
Thanks for the idea! I'm off to petco today to pickup a replacement. Is there any site you would recommend for info on making this a terrarium?

EDIT: nvm, lol. I didn't realize there was a terrarium board on this site

Last edited by blackbirds; 10-12-2017 at 05:30 AM. Reason: figured it out
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottedontknow View Post
Just buy another 5.5gal. They sell them for $14 at petco. If it’s a seam issue you will need to pull all the panels apart to reseal then tank, and odds are you’ll end up snapping the glass in the process as the glass is sooooo thin.
Thanks for the tip! I couldn't find them at petsmart lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta132 View Post
Thanks for the idea! I'm off to petco today to pickup a replacement. Is there any site you would recommend for info on making this a terrarium?

EDIT: nvm, lol. I didn't realize there was a terrarium board on this site
Petco has the dollar per gallon sale I just picked up a 20 gallon
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent69 View Post
Petco has the dollar per gallon sale I just picked up a 20 gallon
I stopped by there and unfortunately they don't do the $1/gal. sale for the 5's so it was $14. I went ahead and got it because I have my accessories for that size already already and I haven't got the space yet for anything bigger, but I'm going back for a 10 or 20 within the next week or so- my mom was staring longingly at them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode