Nitrogen Cycle(Update) - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By sfsamm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nitrogen Cycle(Update)

My tank has been running for a little over one week. I'm kinda confused about the results can someone who knows help me out.

Test Results:
Ph: 7
Amonia: .25ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

Tank info:
5 Gallons
Established for 1 week
Substrate: Fluval Spectrum Substrate
Plants: Staurogyne repens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 09:45 PM
Planted Member

You're hardly started. Do you have fish in the tank yet?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
You're hardly started. Do you have fish in the tank yet?

No, not for awhile. Trying to do everything right since this is a nano tank, first time I've ever tested anything other than Ph. Is it normal to see slight amounts of ammonia but 0 nitrates and nitrites.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 10:44 PM
Planted Member

In order to actually cycle the tank you need Ammonia. You'll actually need 1-2ppm Ammonia to get it going. Did you use any type of bacteria starter, if so which one and how long ago did you add it? If not you can easily do it without but you'll need an Ammonia source and understand it may (usually) takes longer. You will need an Ammonia source regardless to keep the process going to completion and maintained until you add fish.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
In order to actually cycle the tank you need Ammonia. You'll actually need 1-2ppm Ammonia to get it going. Did you use any type of bacteria starter, if so which one and how long ago did you add it? If not you can easily do it without but you'll need an Ammonia source and understand it may (usually) takes longer. You will need an Ammonia source regardless to keep the process going to completion and maintained until you add fish.

Other than the Plants, soil, some rocks and Prime water conditioner I haven't added anything to the tank.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 11:36 PM
Planted Member

Maybe you have Ammonia at the tap, probably worth testing to see since you have Ammonia readings in the tank and no source. It'll be handy to have that info when you add fish.

For now if you're doing a fishless cycle and adding fish afterwards, my personal recommendation is seachem stability and any Ammonia that is dye, perfume, and suffectant free. Basically look at bottles of Ammonia and if it says any ingredients other than Ammonia it won't work. Dr Fosters and Smith has one and most Ace hardware stores have it. I've always had luck at any hardware store finding it to be honest. I do believe Dr Fosters and Smith is much smaller though so you don't have it hanging around the house. There's Ammonia dosing charts online (Google & pick one lol), dose up the tank (don't add prime within 48 hours before or after) and add Stability. Stability should be dosed daily. I have run a fishless cycle complete with Ammonia and Stability in a week with 2 days of confirmation testing.

Depending on what stock you are planning to put in, you can also do a fish in product such as Tetra Safe Start + or API Quick Start. Those are ones where you add the fish and 12 or so hours later add the product and do nothing for a 7-14 days. No water changes, test results will be crazy if you try so there's no point. I don't like them because I can't test or water change.

When you are fully cycled:
Stability and Ammonia method - you'll dose Ammonia and it will be fully converted to nitrAtes in 24 hours or less. Ammonia 0 - nitrIte 0 - nitrAte of some reading over 0 generally over 5, planted tank you'll likely want over 10 unless dosing nitrogen.
Fish in cycle with product - you will test after your waiting period and hopefully have Ammonia 0, nitrIte 0 and some nitrAte reading over 0. If not do a huge water change and dose again and wait. Fish in can be very hard on any fish, sensitive types do very poorly and shrimp won't survive it.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 11:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
This
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A tank needs a constant ammonia source to get the cycle going and then keep it going. Either from fish waste or added ammonia/rotting food. I feel like there are pet stores (or people online) that tell people cycling a tank is having it empty of fish for a month and they are not doing new hobbyists any favors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 03:19 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triport View Post
A tank needs a constant ammonia source to get the cycle going and then keep it going. Either from fish waste or added ammonia/rotting food. I feel like there are pet stores (or people online) that tell people cycling a tank is having it empty of fish for a month and they are not doing new hobbyists any favors.
This is extremely true. Restarting after a huge move recently I had a small fish store tell me that they would not sell me fish because I refused to buy bacteria starter and had cycled with Ammonia... I've been in the hobby over 25 years. I just said to the guy "one less stop when I come to town then" and walked away. I refuse to debate methods at a store (or online for that matter), but I will explain the process to anyone who wants help getting started off in the right direction.

Triport and Triport like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode