Nitrogen Cycle and Neocaridina davidi - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

I just set up a 5 Gallon aquarium a week ago and I'm planning on making it a Shrimp only tank. I know shrimp are super sensitive to ammonia but I want to order higher quality shrimp online. Would adding 10 Neocaridina davidi to a tank all at once cause the amonia to spike to much and kill off all the shrimp(especially since its a new tank)? Also I'm growing Staurogyne repens in the tank, anyone know quality fertilizers to use that are also shrimp safe? Also are my filter slots too large for shrimp? There a little smaller than an inch long.

Tank info:
5 Gallons
Established for 1 week (I know I need to wait longer don't worry, test kit is coming in tomorrow)
Substrate: Fluval Spectrum Substrate
Plants: Staurogyne repens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1299_1507159194278.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	794074  

Last edited by CollegeFresh; 10-04-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
For best results, cycle the tank BEFORE you stock it. 10 Neos should not present a problem as far as an ammonia spike. Just make sure not to overfeed them, and pull out any dead ones as soon as you see them. It is not uncommon to lose one or two of the weaker ones in the first few days, just don't leave them there to rot.

A paranoid shrimp keeper, is a successful shrimp keeper.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 10:37 PM
Planted Member

The entire seachem line of liquid fertilizers are shrimp safe when dosed according to recommendations or less. And I wouldn't put any shrimp in an uncycled tank at all. I'd definitely do a fishless cycle before hand and then add the shrimp. If you do that you by no means will have to worry about an Ammonia or nitrIte spike harming or killing your shrimp.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 02:32 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeFresh View Post
I just set up a 5 Gallon aquarium a week ago and I'm planning on making it a Shrimp only tank. I know shrimp are super sensitive to ammonia but I want to order higher quality shrimp online. Would adding 10 Neocaridina davidi to a tank all at once cause the amonia to spike to much and kill off all the shrimp(especially since its a new tank)? Also I'm growing Staurogyne repens in the tank, anyone know quality fertilizers to use that are also shrimp safe? Also are my filter slots too large for shrimp? There a little smaller than an inch long.

Tank info:
5 Gallons
Established for 1 week (I know I need to wait longer don't worry, test kit is coming in tomorrow)
Substrate: Fluval Spectrum Substrate
Plants: Staurogyne repens

Is that your filter? If you want to breed your shrimps, you might want to cover the filter intake w sponge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode