Nano overstock - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nano overstock

Hi, I have recently set up a 40 litre nano tank I think that's about 8.5 gallons. And I think it may be over stocked but not sure,

I currently have the following fish and other critters:

1x male betta
9x cardinal tetras
4x harlequin rasboras (I think)

6x cherry shrimp
4x amano shrimp
3x assassin snails

Is this too many, just enough or can I squeeze a few more fish in there? I will try to figure out how to attach a photo too.

Bump:

Last edited by XMXR; 10-02-2017 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Added Photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 12:16 AM
Planted Member

Nice looking tank, thanks for sharing. It isn't so overstocked that you're doomed, I think. More frequent water changes, and perhaps more filtering than typical, and you have a really rewarding tank. I'd like to see updates.
As everyone always says, the challenge with nanos is how quickly they can go bad. Manage to keep parameters steady, water clean, you're all good. If you're up to it, get yourself a test kit, and do some monitoring. Math out how much food your fish need, pollution you add with feedings (poop), and how quickly nitrates build up. That can guide your frequency of WC.
Morally, it would help to have a second cycled tank and filter ready just in case of trouble. Also a good place to grow out plants, etc. without worrying about the 'scape. (And then, MTS...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I can only grow plants when they're completely under water. Everything else is doomed.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
40 liters is about 10.5 gallons; with that stocking list, Aqadvisor has it at 135% stocked. Probably even more so since it looks like you have a lot of volume taken up with hardscape.

What sort of filter do you have on this tank?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, how many times would you recommend a WC? I'm currently changing it every weekend at about 1/3rd of the water. I have water test strips that I use, and all the stats seem good. I've checked online to see how accurate they are as I've read their not very accurate but these had pretty good reviews.

I'm using this filter:
http://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/internal-filters/1829-superfish-aqua-flow-100-8715897041730.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw6szOBRAFEiwAwzixB XT3KyVbpbZC_l6DUvVf-a8IlFHhmNtIknG9UHyzZlsh0eJDroFszhoC9EMQAvD_BwE

It came inbuilt with the tank, but I took the casing off as my cardinals kept getting stuck and never returned.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 06:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I go by how the fish look and are acting. Are they healthy and active (if an active species)? Are they well-colored? Are they stressed or acting unhealthy?

I've had 9 emerald dwarf raspboras in a 7 gallon tank. I genuinely couldn't tell how many I had, but the plants were thriving (probably from nitrates), the fish were healthy, if jerks to me, and the only reason why I moved them was because I wanted a shrimp tank.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 10:18 PM
Planted Member

I wouldn't put any more in than what you have. I have not had good experiences with overstocking nano tanks at all

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode