Hi-tech Fluvial Spec V 5 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Dr.

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi-tech Fluvial Spec V 5

Iíve been in and out of the hobby for 6+ years now but had to loose my 55g heavily planted tank after a move last year. Now that Iím settled into my new space, Iíve finally talked myself into starting the nano tank of my dreams, simple and clean, to keep in the bedroom.
With the purchase of a new tank on Saturday, I needed to shuffle some fish around(upside down cat & beta) to accommodate some new shrimp I bought locally in a established tank, also a 5 gal low-tech, but I fear I got ahead of myself.
In a effort to jumpstart the new tank, and prevent the new shrimp from becoming fish food in the old tank, I added new substrate and used the old water from established tank, rinsed old sponge filter and filtration in new tank to get all that good bacteria going. I let everything settle for a couple hours then dumped the catfish in. Being the hardy bastard he is heís doing fine and enjoying all the food for himself.

So as I mentioned, I think I got ahead of myself with the new tank. Want to know what you guys think.
Again, itís a SPEC V, 5g, 17Lx6wx10d. With 2in of Amazonia substrate itís only going to be 8-9 inches deep so Iím going to be planting all micro and foreground plants.
Iím running a finnex 24/7 and CO2.

In my haste to get the new tank running, donít judge me , I didnít put down any power sand, becter 100, or other trace elements. I want to get this right and donít mind restarting if Iím really going to see a difference over time with them. But the power sand seems to be most important to keep the substrate from compacting. Does it add nutritional value as well?

What do you think on how important are they? Will the ďmulti bottomĒ sticks work just as well?
I also plan on introducing ADA Green Brightly 1 for the first 3 mo after planting along with Brightly K. Iíll continue to use liquid ferts as well for the life of the tank.

Finally, if I do need to start over, what is the Amazonia substrate going to be like after I dig it all out and restart? I donít really want to do that but if it makes a difference in the long game Iím down to do it right. Will I be able to put the wet substraight back in and use it?

This is the start of this journey and Iíll try to get pictures going if anyone is interested.

Thank you for you feedback in advance.

Steve 0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Pics pics pics!!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 10:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

I only use ada aqua soil in my tanks and they do fine... I wouldn't put everything out but you could do it and reuse the soil if you want. Just be careful with it as it can turn easily in mud.

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Dr.

No mud lol. Substrate was only submerged for a few days so it hadn?t changed much.

So here?s the progression as of today.
Plants: HC
Marsilea quadrifolia
Staurogyne[censored]repens
Jave (all the lfs had
A couple mysteries that were scooped up with the jave. Looks like Rotala.

Plan is to let everything settle and start some roots then, fine tune the hard scape in a few days to a week.
The pebble path is too linear and still have some rocks, (alien rock, little petrified wood) that I might add for balance. The Jave stone is not going to stay there either.

Anyways, here it is. Let me know your thoughts.

After everything is stable, I plan on adding some shrimp and maybe a few Danio margaritatus. Does anyone know if I can put two male together in this 5g?

How many bubbles per sec do you think I should be running on this tank? 35-55?

I start the Co2 about a hour before I turn the light on max around 7:30, then shut the Co2 off when I get home about 6:00.
Is that a health cycle?

What else am I missing other than a timer?

Thanks for taking the time look. We?ll see how it goes.

Dr.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E6C16CA-F6BD-4019-8A23-4936D59AF5AD_1506659552232.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	793041  

Name:	C00BE16E-8000-495C-932C-BDEFDB8A1BC9_1506659597969.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	793049  

Name:	87FC9568-3F9A-4B3F-820D-1A1CB61E07EA_1506659647695.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	793057  

Name:	80AE9CC7-0922-4EEC-AD7A-06DAEF2BA3A8_1506659718958.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	793065  

Name:	47FD9464-FDF4-4900-8CB5-7E1D46BF665A_1506659773438.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	793073  

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 06:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hard to say what bps you need. It depends on your bubble counter and kh value. Use your drop checker to get an "idea".

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode