New to all of this - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to all of this

Hi folks. I got into fish the way many people do....my kid won goldfish at a fair. Being stupid, I let her keep playing. So we got 3. One was dead the next morning, but I went and got what I thought was a good enough tank for 2 goldfish. A Tetra LED Cube kit, 3 gallons. Wrong!

After a few months of frequent water changes, ich, and general discontent, they died. We replaced with a betta who lived happily with us for a year. Then, during a water change and tank cleaning, I messed up with the water and she died :-(

Replaced with a male betta. He did well until I added a live plant to the tank and it died. I wasn't able to remove and change water fast enough and the poor betta died too.

So, now I have this tank with a pretty cool mountain rock in it, two live plants that I think are some sort of sword but I'm honestly not sure (petco purchase), and a tiger nerite snail.

Visited the LFS on Sunday because my daughter and I would like to turn this into a nano tank for green neon tetras and RCS. My only concern is the size of the tank and the number of tetras I can carry, which still having the tetras be happy.

LFS and I discussed getting the shrimp and 3 tetras, then seeing how they do and possibly coming back for 3 more. Anyone have thoughts?

Pic of the tank included. Any advice would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170924_135909.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	792586  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The problem with such small tanks is you are very limited in what you can realistically keep in them. Also there is very little room for error if you screw something up. Water parameters can swing more quickly and to a much greater extent than in a larger tank. I think you would be better off investing in a larger tank and starting off with a few very hardy fish with room to add more later, after you have gained a little more experience. My two cents worth. Good luck.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 01:51 AM
Algae Grower

I agree at 3 gallons your gonna likely be doing more work than if it were 50 gallons my advise is to get a 20g plant it and get 3 sets of 6-8 schooling fish or just pick out a strand of guppy and make a small colony (they can get out of hand though so be aware). And don't forget to cycle the tank! With the 3gallon you could just put some shrimp in there but fish wise it's pretty sparse.

Ecology student with too much time on his hands...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

A 3 gallon is far too small for neon tetras, they need room to swim. You need at least a 10 gallon for them, and a larger tank is definitely going to be easier to maintain and keep stable. About all you can keep in a 3 gallon are shrimp or a long-tailed betta.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just wanted to update. Went to the LFS again today and talked with some folks about happy fish vs bioload. Decided upon a new half moon betta and a few red cherry shrimp. Chose one male and one female, so hopefully we'll have more.

Here a pic of Cherry in his new tank. Not sure why the picture is rotated, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170930_203148_1506821289771.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	793441  

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
With a Betta in such small quarters you'll be lucky if the adult shrimp survive let alone any offspring. Asking advise at a LFS or one of the chains is very hit or miss in term of them knowing what they are talking about.
Kubla, Kubla, CollegeFresh and 1 others like this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
With a Betta in such small quarters you'll be lucky if the adult shrimp survive let alone any offspring. Asking advise at a LFS or one of the chains is very hit or miss in term of them knowing what they are talking about.
Plus 1

Soon only the male Betta will exist in that tank. Wait til he builds a nest and then has eggs to protect, it will all be over quickly for everyone else assumimg hes a real gentleman til then. Think of your male betta as christian bale in american psycho, its just a matter of time before he does his thing... Do you like Huey Lewis? "Their earlier work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. Hes been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor."
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This guy was in a tank with 12-15 rosy loaches, a bunch of small snails, and some shrimp at the store. All their bettas were kept with tank buddies.

So far he seems very interested in my nerite snail, flaring at him often. But other than eating the shrimp food, he's paid them no attention. Fingers crossed.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 12:40 AM
Planted Member

I tried cherry shrimp (from an existing colony) with a new betta. He left them alone for a month, then apparently thought they looked tasty. Turns out, he was probably right. He actually goes after snails, too, which is frustrating when they do a great job of cleaning the walls and plants. My other betta leaves the snails alone completely, and has a prettier tank to show for it.

3g is small, but manageable with frequent maintenance. As long as you can keep consistent (and good) conditions, no trouble. You don't get to ignore the tank for a bit or delay maint. like you could with a larger tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I can only grow plants when they're completely under water. Everything else is doomed.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had a Betta in my 29 and he definitely snacked on the medium and small cherry shrimps from time to time. But by the time he was in the tank there was already a huge population of them so he couldn't really make a dent. But in my current 3 gallon with a Betta as much as I would like to add some shrimp I think they won't be able to find hiding spots.I wonder if an Amano shrimp would be safer?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 04:03 AM
Algae Grower

That tank is quite pretty in a spare way - but there's no place for a shrimp to hide. I think you're going to need a lot of plants for the shrimp to hide in if they will have any chance against a betta. If you go that way, remove the betta, put the plants in and then add the shrimp. Give the shrimp a day or so to explore and find hiding places before re-adding the betta.

"All men are equal before fish."
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update for everyone. 5 days in and everyone is just fine. Shrimp are doing their shrimpy cleaning thing and the betta is much more interested in the snail than anything else.

So far the hardest thing to deal with is the greedy fish stealing the shrimp food, but I solved that problem.

Water levels look great, but I'm going to do the first PWC today to keep things clean.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

One week and everyone is great. The shrimp molted, which scared the heck out of me, but everyone seems really happy.

I just added some new features with java moss and everyone is running around checking it all out. Pretty cool.

Still don't know why my pictures rotate. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171008_162630_1507494412947.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	794546  

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
New to all of this

Itís nice to see someone managing to keep cherry shrimp with a betta. I think the key may be keeping him fed sufficiently that he never has to resort to shrimp and developing a taste for shrimp. I was doing ok for 2 days with 13 cherry shrimp and 5 amano shrimp till the weekend came and he had to make do on his own at the office. Monday morning there were 3 cherry and 4 amano. I still canít believe he took down an amano.

He wonít eat flake or pellets now, only live. Spoiled fish. Iíll have to bring in some more culls. I removed the amanos as they were there to clean up some plants.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 11:07 PM
Planted Member

+1 to saving a Betta. Bettas and tankmates are always hit and miss all depending on the character of the Betta. Nice looking tank.

The pictures are sideways because you are using a cell phone (I think) I read that somewhere but don't know how to fix it sorry.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode