Ammonia off the charts!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ammonia off the charts!!!

I'm so lost rn! The readings on my tiny tank that houses my shrimpies and two baby panda corys is reading off the charts for ammonia but everyone is totally fine! They are molting regularly the corys seem super happy as always there is lots of plant in the tank and I have a saddled cherry and a couple saddled amanos I know the amanos won't have babies in there but I'd think they would all seem stressed and hide if the ammonia was really as high as the test says. I had the water tested along with the water from my ten gallon and the ten gallon was fine so I don't think it's the test kit. The only thing I could think of is that I'm getting a false reading cause the last two time I took the water to get tested I marked the nano tank bag with my nail polish (such a girl thing to do I know) maybe that mixed with the bag I put the water in created a chemical reaction that made the test read high? I have done a75% and a 25% water change and the reading hasn't budged. Please help me I love these little guys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If the critters are still alive, the ammonia isn't off the charts, and something is wrong with the test kit. Even small amounts of ammonia will kill fish, and definitely shrimp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's what I thought too. It has got to be something else cause the last time I had Sven a small ammonia spike in my 5g from a guppy on guppy homicide almost all my crs died! Corys have always been my first sign when something is off because they are air breathers and they are completely fine too. My theory is that my nail polish on the bag of water threw it off some how. Otherwise I'd have a tank full of dead shrimp and some seriously messed up cory cats.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
You say you take teh water to get tested. Most stores use test stirps if they test water for you. Test strips are nutritiously inaccurate. You'd be better off buying an API freshwater master test kit (liquid form).
For what its worth I tested my goldfish tank yesterday-max ammonia! Did 2x 95% water changes because that made em freak out. Today the ammonia is 0ppm (impossible if tests are right). I think I added too many/few drops for liquid test (make sure you follow directions correctly with those!!) so I had a wrong reading.
If you get a liquid test kit and still see ammonia buy some Seachem Prime and dose to bind ammonia/nitrite (bottle directions says up to 5x dose every 48 hours but I dose every 24 when needed for ammonia/nitrite).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Today I went and had it tested again after a 25% wc and the reading was the same. Brought in two bags, one with nail polish and one without and they read the same. Test kit was not the strips and is infact liquid so very strange. I got a new bacteria start from one of their healthy tanks in hopes that I just don't have enough good bacteria in the tank and did a 75% wc and will be doing a 50% wc tomorrow. Maybe that will do the trick. My aqua babies love the mess in there right now. Also not feeding for a day or two. I also pruned the you know what out of the plant in there and trimmed it down a bit then squeezed out the marimo ball I have in there for them over the sink too. I Will test again in two days. Hopefully I can get this under control! It's making me crazy and I'm so confused!? I should have ten dead shrimp in that tank!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 05:44 PM

I'm going through the same thing right now. Tested my 37 tall with astronomically high ammonia readings (API ammonia test kit which is a liquid kit). My 10 gallon is fine. There are a few tricks I am trying out to get it to read low, as I am not losing any fish either and everyone seems happy, but I totally understand that it's annoying. I built a DIY biological filter which you can check out instructions on here. I figured adding some more biological media most certainly wouldn't hurt, but I wanted something to work quickly just in case. There are a few videos on using house plants that help absorb ammonia to check out like this one, but I heard the whole shell thing isn't a great idea but that isn't the point of the video. Also, dosing some water conditioners like Seachem Prime will create a false ammonia reading. The conditioners will detoxify the ammonia but not remove it so the plants and any biological media can do the trick while the fish are unharmed. I'll let you know if this stuff works for me, but hey, it could be a fluke. Better safe than sorry! Good luck!

Brandon
Avid Fishkeeper
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Definitely let me know if it works. Gunna do another wc tonight and test again tomorrow. Wc and new bacteria start should do the trick I hope. It so frustrating cause it's my shrimp tank. It does have a low ph and I was reading somewhere that it could be ammonium not ammonia which is non toxic at a certain ph I guess so I'm kinda scared to mess with the ph at all by adding anything like shells. I'll let ya know how the test goes tomorrow Thanks for all the help and info and if you find anything else on the subject definitely share! I'll do the same. Having happy aqua babies is what this game is all about right!? ?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 05:33 AM
Algae Grower

Hi,

Sorry you are having water quality issues.

Has your tank been set up for a while or have you done a major substrate change recently.

It would be worth your while and to your benefit to shell out the $ and get an API test kit with liquid reagents.
Then you are in full control with your parameters and you can test against your tap water to see where problems might be.

Are you treating the water with Prime or similar before water changes. (sorry, I have lost my question mark)

Glad to hear your livestock is ok.

I stayed up all night changing water one time when my betta tank went through a mini cycle for some reason. I just kept testing the water and added new until I had no ammonia readings. Then kept daily checks and water changes until the cycle had re established.

Good luck.

Jackie
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm using spring water with perfect parameters so i couldn't imagine it being the water I'm changing with. I have come to the conclusion that it's the plastic in the tank and am taking the tank back. I have collaborated with every fish keeper I know both professional and not and am just going to restart these babies in my five gallon glass nano. Boy what a project I have ahead of me this next couple days lol. Will let everyone know how it goes. I did more water changes and just about everything I can think of and it just reads the same every time with different test kits. Little babies will have a new home here soon and petsmart will have som splanin to do! Lol
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 12:31 PM

So I finally did get my tank to read 0ppm. The biggest change that I noticed is when doing what Jackie had said, which was just changing the water until it was reading correctly while running my hand to turn over the substrate and kick up any gunk (of course with the livestock moved to a different location, which might not be as convenient for some folks). After a few changes I was reading closer and closer to 0ppm. I'm glad your shrimp are doing alright, and I hope the new tank does much better for you!

Brandon
Avid Fishkeeper
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 01:15 PM
Algae Grower

What is the ph of your tank water? Ammonia in lower ph is converted to ammonium which is harmless. If the ph of your tank water is lower than 7 then your fishes are safe. The thing with API is it does not differentiate between ammonia & ammonium. Even at ph = 7, most of it will be in ammonium form & about 0.6% ammonia and is safe up to 2mg/L. But if your ph is greater than 7, dose your tank with prime immediately.

What is the substrate you used? Have you used any fertilizer? Some substrates are known to be leaching ammonia/ammonium for quite a while. Fertilizers too, such as osmocote can cause ammonia spikes.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got my new tank set up and all is doing well. I figure it was ammonium not ammonia because I have a very low ph, around 6.7, and I think I found the source of it after I cleaned everything out and was washing stuff to put into the new tank. There was a little pottery cup I had in with them and it smelled like ammonia. That might be weird to say but I sware it did. I took the tank back to petsmart too and they said that they have had ppl bring those tanks back saying the same thing. The five gallon is looking great doing a small wc on it today. All of my reading are perfect but will be testing again tomorrow
Also not using ferts causebits my shrimp tank.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 04:31 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmeghann View Post
I got my new tank set up and all is doing well. I figure it was ammonium not ammonia because I have a very low ph, around 6.7, and I think I found the source of it after I cleaned everything out and was washing stuff to put into the new tank. There was a little pottery cup I had in with them and it smelled like ammonia. That might be weird to say but I sware it did. I took the tank back to petsmart too and they said that they have had ppl bring those tanks back saying the same thing. The five gallon is looking great doing a small wc on it today. All of my reading are perfect but will be testing again tomorrow
Also not using ferts causebits my shrimp tank.
Wow! That was unexpected.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah very unexpected! It's still doing great parameters are still perfect! Ammonia and nitrite and nitrate are all 0ppm so I think I fixed the problem. Finally!! Thank you guys for all your help!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode