Setting up 5.5g tank (newbie!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Setting up 5.5g tank (newbie!)

Hi All!

I am brand new to this world and I am feeling quite confused about a few things after hearing so many conflicting instructions on how to set the tank up and create a beautiful, healthy and happy home for it's new inhabitant/s.

I bought a 5.5g tank from my local fish store and asked their advice on preparing everything and they simply said to let the filter run for a week and then it'll be fine. My initial thought was "amazing!! i can have little friends swimming around so soon!" but then I became curious as to why I had to wait a week and how to tell if everything was actually safe and inviting. This led me to fish in/fishless cycling (the idea of fishless seems like an obvious choice to me). I also bought a black quartz substrate after asking the assistant which would be best and he said any is fine, which I hope is the case, and I also bought an anubius on a bit of smooth driftwood. I'm planning on heading back in a few days to pick up a few more smaller/taller plants.

I am really needing a bit of guidance on getting that good bacteria started while keeping the plant happy. I bought a master test kit today and checked the water after it's been running for 24 hours with the heater at 28 degrees (C) and with decent aggitation at the surface in a low light setting. The ammonia seemed to be sitting at 0.25 ppm and nitrites and nitrates both at 0. Is anything happening with my tank? What can I do to encourage the bacteria growth? Should I wait before I add any more plants?

And another question I'm struggling to find a decent answer for is who is going to live there. It's been suggested that get a betta and a 3cm bristelnose catfish until they are ready for a larger tank which I was told could be a year or two? Again I'm just a confused fish tank owner wanting to create a healthy and happy environment and I would absolutely love any advice or opinions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 12:39 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshrfrnds View Post
Hi All!

I am brand new to this world and I am feeling quite confused about a few things after hearing so many conflicting instructions on how to set the tank up and create a beautiful, healthy and happy home for it's new inhabitant/s.

I bought a 5.5g tank from my local fish store and asked their advice on preparing everything and they simply said to let the filter run for a week and then it'll be fine. My initial thought was "amazing!! i can have little friends swimming around so soon!" but then I became curious as to why I had to wait a week and how to tell if everything was actually safe and inviting. This led me to fish in/fishless cycling (the idea of fishless seems like an obvious choice to me). I also bought a black quartz substrate after asking the assistant which would be best and he said any is fine, which I hope is the case, and I also bought an anubius on a bit of smooth driftwood. I'm planning on heading back in a few days to pick up a few more smaller/taller plants.

I am really needing a bit of guidance on getting that good bacteria started while keeping the plant happy. I bought a master test kit today and checked the water after it's been running for 24 hours with the heater at 28 degrees (C) and with decent aggitation at the surface in a low light setting. The ammonia seemed to be sitting at 0.25 ppm and nitrites and nitrates both at 0. Is anything happening with my tank? What can I do to encourage the bacteria growth? Should I wait before I add any more plants?

And another question I'm struggling to find a decent answer for is who is going to live there. It's been suggested that get a betta and a 3cm bristelnose catfish until they are ready for a larger tank which I was told could be a year or two? Again I'm just a confused fish tank owner wanting to create a healthy and happy environment and I would absolutely love any advice or opinions!
Hi,
Welcome to the fish world!
The fish store owner is correct about waiting a week. You want the beneficial bacteria to develop first before you put fish in. While you are waiting, you can add a few flakes of fish food in the tank so that the bacteria can develop faster. The tank might be a bit cloudy, do not make any water change just yet. Check the ammonia level. When it is 0, then the tank is ready.

Giving the size of your tank, I'd like to suggest you try cherry shrimps. Keep in mind, there shrimps don't like to be disturbed by the swimming fish.

Good luck. Love to see you post some pictures of your setup

Kevin

Tags
5.5 gallon, nano tank, planted tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode