Fluval Spec - LED replacement - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval Spec - LED replacement

I bought a Fluval Ecobright LED as a replacement for the original Spec tank light which was over 4 years old. The new light is much brighter and now my Anubias have developed GSA where they are exposed to the light. Tried removing it w/a soft toothbrush which didn't work. I'd hate to lose these well established plants. I've stopped using the 100% setting and am using between 50-75% for around 8 hours. Will the GSA go away on it's own?

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 04:01 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Anubias is tough stuff. Follow the directions for a hydrogen peroxide dip you can find on the forums and along with the decrease in lighting there's a good chance it will vanish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you Boris dude. That was an option I was considering, tried it recently on some Hydrocotyl that had cyanobacteria. I was hoping it would go away just by reducing the intensity of the lighting. Is it necessary to be manually removed first? Cannot believe how it doesn't budge by scrubbing with a toothbrush.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 04:53 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
You're welcome. When it dies off it gets soft and pale. Shrimp and certain fish will eat it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have a couple of Nerites so hopefully they'll work in tandem w/the reduced lighting. I'll use the H202 as a last resort if I don't see any improvement on the Anubia's leaves. What type of shrimp eat it? I had a ghost shrimp up until recently, maybe I should replace him/her?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 11:28 AM
Planted Member

If you by chance use Seachem Excel you can pull the plant and "paint" it onto the leaves or dip it into a small dish with Excel. I tried that personally a while back for GSA on some of my anubias, just painted it on waited 3-4 minutes and put them all back in the tank, all traces of GSA were gone in a couple of days.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsamm View Post
If you by chance use Seachem Excel you can pull the plant and "paint" it onto the leaves or dip it into a small dish with Excel. I tried that personally a while back for GSA on some of my anubias, just painted it on waited 3-4 minutes and put them all back in the tank, all traces of GSA were gone in a couple of days.

Did you rinse off the Excel before adding the plant back to the tank? I've been spot treating the plants with Excel leaving them in place. Might be seeing a slight improvement since doing so.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 11:30 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellife View Post
Did you rinse off the Excel before adding the plant back to the tank? I've been spot treating the plants with Excel leaving them in place. Might be seeing a slight improvement since doing so.

Nope I just let it sit for a few minutes out of the water and put the plants straight back into the tank. And it took a few days for me to really see that it was disappearing but it completely went away.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode