First 10 Gallon Planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First 10 Gallon Planted tank

Hello! I just set up my first 10 gallon planted tank in the science room at my school. It is just a standard 10-gallon tank from Walmart that I derimmed. My goal for it is to have a DHG carpet. I will also be painting the back black as well. Here are some of the specs for it. Any advice is very helpful! I will continue to add pictures and updates starting tomorrow when I return to school.

Link to a picture of the tank- https://www.flickr.com/photos/154493...posted-public/

Substrate: Fluval Shrimp Stratum. ~about 2 inches in the front and 4 or 5 towards the back.

Lighting: two 60watt, 5500k, 800 lumens, LED bulbs. On 10 hours a day.

Heater: 50watt Tetra.

Filter: Aqua Clear 20 w/ a filter sponge and ceramic media.

Plants: 2 Java fern, some tall grass plant along the back(not sure of the name), Dwarf hair grass in the front, and some kind of sword plant on the right.

Fauna: 1 blue ramshorn and like 8 random neocaridina shrimp. I know it is too early to add fauna in, but I figured since I used some media and water from a cycled tank it would be fine. Eventually, I hope to have it full of shrimp.

Some questions I have right now:
I have a co2 diffuser coming in the mail soon and have the rest for a co2 gen ready now. Any advice on setting this up?

I have looked into different fertilizers and root tabs and I am kind of lost. What should I use? if any?

Are my lights too much? Or not enough?

Advice is wanted! I am rather new to this and have probably done a lot of things wrong. Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode