2.5 gallon attempt - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Blizwiz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
2.5 gallon attempt

Any plant suggestions? First attempt at a nano tank. Thinking rotala indica in the corner near the filter, some s. repens in the front left corner then a monte carlo carpet, maybe some ludwigia red or a different red rotala. Thoughts on hardscape so far?

Azoo mignon filter and an aqueon nano heater (10 watt). Substrate is ADA amazonia with some osmocote sprinkled in.

Last edited by Blizwiz; 09-03-2017 at 11:55 PM. Reason: changed pic links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Great start! Why the heater? It will always be an eye sore in a tank this size and it probably isn't needed unless your ambient room temperature is very cold. IME... the scale of these tanks is very hard to maintain with most stems. I'd go with 1 or 2 species tops and try the carpet. I think the s. repens + a carpet plant would look great! The rotala will be a real pain to keep trimmed in such a short tank, been there done that lol. I have a thread of a few 2.5s linked in my sig, check it out!

My 20 Gallon Low Tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

35 Gallon Kettle Pond

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twin 2.5 Gallon Nanos

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizwiz View Post
Any plant suggestions? First attempt at a nano tank. Thinking rotala indica in the corner near the filter, some s. repens in the front left corner then a monte carlo carpet, maybe some ludwigia red or a different red rotala. Thoughts on hardscape so far?

Azoo mignon filter and an aqueon nano heater (10 watt). Substrate is ADA amazonia with some osmocote sprinkled in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan8768 View Post
Great start! Why the heater? It will always be an eye sore in a tank this size and it probably isn't needed unless your ambient room temperature is very cold. IME... the scale of these tanks is very hard to maintain with most stems. I'd go with 1 or 2 species tops and try the carpet. I think the s. repens + a carpet plant would look great! The rotala will be a real pain to keep trimmed in such a short tank, been there done that lol. I have a thread of a few 2.5s linked in my sig, check it out!
Nice, I like the layout. Out of curiosity - when will you be adding plants, what are the water parameters within your tank, why did you initially sprinkle osmocote into your 'amazonia' substrate, and will you be using CO2?

The plant selection that you have listed above is doable (more so in a high-tech set-up), but with such a small footprint, most stems will likely require added attention in regards to pruning/trimming (unless you don't mind exerting the time and effort to do so). Roshan8768 made a very good point pertaining to stems and the scale of your tank. Have any plans to add fauna with your flora? If you are (depending on what requirements and/or species), you just may need a heater to keep your temperature steady.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan8768 View Post
In MN so come winter we usually turn our heat down to ~68, would just feel better to have a heater to keep the water a stable temperature. I like the idea of s. repens and a carpet, but I also want something to go behind the larger piece of wood.

Quote:
Nice, I like the layout. Out of curiosity - when will you be adding plants, what are the water parameters within your tank, why did you initially sprinkle osmocote into your 'amazonia' substrate, and will you be using CO2?
The plant selection that you have listed above is doable (more so in a high-tech set-up), but with such a small footprint, most stems will likely require added attention in regards to pruning/trimming (unless you don't mind exerting the time and effort to do so). Roshan8768 made a very good point pertaining to stems and the scale of your tank. Have any plans to add fauna with your flora? If you are (depending on what requirements and/or species), you just may need a heater to keep your temperature steady.
Not sure when I'll be adding plants, need to decide on what to put in there first. Haven't checked the parameters yet but I'm assuming the pH is ~6.8 like my other tank with amazonia substrate, probably has really high ammonia/nitrites/nitrates since it was recently setup. I laid down a thin layer of the amazonia first then sprinkled in some osmocote, then put in the rest of the substrate before hardscape and water. I think I'll be using seachem excel, but nothing pressurized or DIY. I think at least one stem plant behind the larger piece of wood would complete the look a little more, but still undecided haha. Probably a betta, or just shrimp/snails
Roshan8768 and Roshan8768 like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizwiz View Post
In MN so come winter
Enough said haha! Maybe try some microrasboras instead? I have a group of 6 ruby tetras in my 2.5 rn and they have tons of personality and school well

My 20 Gallon Low Tech

35 Gallon Kettle Pond

Twin 2.5 Gallon Nanos

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode