What needle valves work best in nano tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
What needle valves work best in nano tanks

Hey y'all, first post here. I have had a finnex 4 gallon set up for a few years now that I've been slowly transitioning to a high tech tank. Currently I have a 23 watt 6500k cfl, a deep blue biomaxx HOB, a gravel bed of Seachem fluorite. The main thing holding me back is the little 22g pressurized co2 kit I bought a year or so ago. The valve on the canister is total garbage. I have spent countless hours trying to get a consistent bubble count for a tank that small. I'm trying 1bps or less. It seems it's all or nothing with that thing. I have a 10lb cylinder with one of the old Red Sea regulators and would like to find a decent needle valve for small tanks. In the next few months I'll be setting up a 10 gallon and will have a split after the solenoid to two needle valves. There are so many on the market and so many opinions. I would like to hear what you run on tiny tanks.
Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
I really like the GLA Manifold not sure if they sell the manifold separately to run on your regulator. Used ideals in the past also and they are really nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3540_1504373857038.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	786522  

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
This link narrows down most of them. Look for the smallest Orifice and Cv.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-...ed-system.html

I have a Circle Seal MV92 with a 0.020 Orifice and 0.0096 Cv. They're fairly uncommon though :-( (I scored a handful on eBay for next to nothing in an otherwise worthless lab equipment listing). I've had it set as low as 5-6 bubbles per minute (1/10th bps) on my 4.5g and it could prob go lower. It's a chore to get it set that low, but once you do it'll sit at that rate forever.

I have some Aalborg VM1-SV-2A's that are Orifice 0.042 and 0.0005 Cv

http://www.aalborg.com/images/file_t..._VB_Valves.pdf

They have some more reasonably priced options (VM1-BB-1A) that I believe are in the $60-70 range. They often pop up on eBay cheaply too, under either Aalborg, Dakota, or Cole Parmer (all identical valves). I run a pair of these now and the one on my 6g was well under 1bps. Again, a little fine tweaking at setup, then holds that rate seemingly indefinitely.

The Swagelok 21/31 series is also a favorite of mine... 0.02/0.007

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode