Zoids Spec V (5.6) Dumbo Betta - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Earth Prime, Sol System, Milky Way, Horrible Gelatinous Monster
Cool Zoids Spec V (5.6) Dumbo Betta

I set this tank up for my little one back in April 2017, as she really wanted her own fish.

Hardscape:
4 Separate pieces of Driftwood
Some Cherry shrimp caves (which are useless since Beast ate them all...)

Inhabitants:
Male Dumbo Betta
3 Amano Shrimp
10 Assassin Snails

Plants:
Jave Fern
Buce Brownie
Java Fern Windelov
Some bad looking Dwarf Baby Tears
Rotala sp...?
Crypt Parva
12 Mini Marimo Moss Balls
Frogbit
Salvinia Natans
Mini Indian Almond Leaf Litter

Stock Filter of the Spec V (with a Fluval Edge Prefilter Baffle)
Finnex Planted+ (with a half piece of a 5g glass cover, covering the holeon top)
Strip LED Lights and Glass Diffuser Background
Eco Complete
Hydor 25w Heater
Fusion Airpump

Beast the Dumbo Betta is doing well but the tank it self is hell to clean.
Every single week since I set up this tank it gets a 50% Water change and scrub down because algae wont stop growing.

The water does have tannins in it (which I like) and the Light Stays on a timer (8hours)
I dose daily with Excel and with Flourish the day after Prime PWC.
I made him a diy Floating Log out of Plastic Canvas which he sleeps in/rests in daily.

Besides the constant cleaning I'm guessing this tank and the hardscape I created is the perfect habitat for this dumbo betta. No Complaints from him except him flaring when I take pics.

Beast the Dumbo Betta was completly White when we first got him and has coloured up nicely to a Pale Peach/Pink Body and Dark Blue Dragon Scales with Dark Yellow and White Fins

any ideas on how to lighten the load on cleaning this tank? less light? more excel? something else?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zoidborg; 08-27-2017 at 11:21 PM. Reason: More pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well. If it were my tank I would assume too much light for too long a photoperiod for the species of plants I'm keeping. Besides the dbt and the rotala, none of these require that amount of light at all. Without gaseous co2 (pressurized or diy), your dbt will slowly die into nothing.

For the rest of your plants, you could probably dose ferts monthly and excel every couple of days or just after a water change.

It looks like you're putting too much into plants that don't need it, and not enough into plants that do. If it were me, I'd forget about the rotala and the dbt and forces on the other, low light plants. Reduce your lighting somehow and reduce dosing.

Flow is also a big deal with lower light tanks. Low light tanks live flow. Especially anubias and java ferns.

You could also add more floaters to help block light.

You can't really do too many water changes but several smaller ones are better than one large one. You're betta would actually be fine with 100% water changes.

If you did nothing else, daily 50% water changes would be your best way to help get back on track.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Earth Prime, Sol System, Milky Way, Horrible Gelatinous Monster
Thanks so much for the info!

I will definitely remove the tears and rotala and focus on the other low plants, I have a surplus or anubias in other tanks I can easily add to this tank.

I don't want to use co2 on this tank since it's on the opposite side of the room from my 29g co2 tank so I could just start doing the full seachem chart when dosing on this spec tank like I do for my other tanks.

The flow is the problem here, I could remove the sponge and air pump but even with my 'hole poked' and setting on low stock specV hose the flow is still too much For the Betta. The first month we had him he was being pushed around by the flow and tore some of his Dumbo ear fin.

Here is a Video of the Dumbo Bettas Spev V tank after a water change and scrub down.

Anyone else have any ideas for flow for the Betta?

Last edited by Zoidborg; 09-01-2017 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Added video

Tags
betta, dumbo, fluval, nano, spec v

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode