Couple of questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Couple of questions

Hi guys! New here, just started my first planted tank about 2 weeks ago and have some questions

1. How long should I wait before I start adding fishes? My tank is an 8 gallon, medium planted? 17w light, cooler fan (27~28C most of the time) Started 12 days ago. See pic below.

2. My tank (12th day) is always cloudy (brown greenish viewed from the side or when lights off), despite 2 major water changes (90%) and using water clearing product. Any suggestions?

3. Will UG grass catch those wiggly nematode worms?

4. Any way to dose Excel/liquid ferts/other chemicals without the fishes thinking I'm dropping food?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20170824_210132.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	783962  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 05:47 PM
Algae Grower

I'll start using aerator for a week to boost bacteria, and wc 30% once 3 day for about 2 week. Planted in 2nd week

First 5 gallon tank
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You should wait until the tank is actually cycled which means your ammonia/nitrites read 0. This being said you need to add ammonia to the tank in some way so the bacteria can feed on something. Some people just add some fish flake, other does chemical ammonia to 3-4ppm. You can speed the process up by heating the tank to above 80 degrees with your heater. You can also add something like seachem stability to seed some bacteria. People have varying results on how much this speeds up the process.

The brown/green water is probably from tannins leeching from the wood. Something like purigen will help remove the tannins while not removing the ammonia from the water. In the future, the best way to limit tannins going into the water is to soak the wood for a several days in water, boil it for a few hours if you have a pot that can fit it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey guys thanks for answering, thats very helpful. What about question 3 and 4?

3. Will UG grass catch those wiggly nematode worms?

4. Any way to dose Excel/liquid ferts/other chemicals without the fishes thinking I'm dropping food?

I actually cooked the wood a few times and soaked for a week. Guess that's still not good enough. :-(

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode