Petco 6.6 gallon bookshelf - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By JakeJekel37

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Petco 6.6 gallon bookshelf

After taking a break from tanks for a little while, a few months back I was at my local Petco and saw they had some of those 6.6 gallon bookshelf tanks in stock. I always liked them but never had a chance to get one because my store never carried them and I couldn't find one online. I saw it and had to get it. I had some seiryu stone laying around I had never used and figured this would be the perfect tank for it.

Here is what it looked like with stock light and hardscape. Stock light was way to pink/red for my liking. I think it was a 2,700k or 3,000k.

Quickly ran out and picked up a 6,700k from Lowes.

Wasn't sure what I wanted to plant in it. Took a trip to a couple places around me (Petco, Petsmart, a few LFS's) and ended up with some DHG and crested java fern. Oh, and two nerites as well.

I gave the plants a little time to establish. No co2, so growth was/is slow. After a few weeks, I decided I wanted some wood and some more plants. Found a nice piece of spiderwood added a type of anubias, s. repens and a couple small crypts. Moved the crested java fern and some of the DHG around.

Much more happy with this set up, I decided to leave everything alone at this point and finish the cycle so I could put some fish in. Once the cycle completed, I went an picked up 7 flame tetras. Only when I got home, I realized there were 8. Score! However, I prefer my schools to be odd numbers, so once I made sure everyone was healthy and the tank was stabilized, I'd have to go get one or three more. But first, here are the 8 in their new home.

These guys were in the tank for about 3 weeks and doing great. Eating well, parameters are solid. I wasn't happy with the plant coverage though, so I picked up a couple more. A bit of val, and a couple stems of Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus.

One of the new plants came with a bladder snail. We'll see if there are more (I'm sure there will be more). All that was left was to even (odd) out my school, and add my "centerpiece." Picked up one more flame tetra along with a flame dwarf gourami.

And the most recent FTS with everyone settled in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 10:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is that an undercounter type strip LED that you found? Could you please post a picture from above of how you have it resting on the tank - which looks great by the way.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks!

Actually, it's in the stock hood that came with the tank. It holds an 18" t8 fluorescent bulb. So I took out the bulb it came with it replaced it with a GE daylight, which is actually 6,500k temp, not 6,700k, but close enough.

Sorry for the quality, using my phone. I should really get out my good camera for this stuff.

I plan on upgrading the light to a Stingray or PlantedPlus 24/7 at some point.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 11:25 PM
Algae Grower

That's an excellent idea, you should have good plant growth w/that type of bulb.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So, after all that and finally being happy with it, the tank sprung a leak somewhere last night. Plastic tank, put all the fish and plants in a 5 gallon bucket. Can't find the crack anywhere, but I obviously can't trust it. Very disappointing. Had to make a trip to pick up a replacement tank since I don't have anything on hand. Once this is water tested, it will become their new home. 20L.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Blah!
Figures that would happen. It was a lovely tank and I'm sure the replacement will look just as nice

Low tech planted tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40g breeder, 125g, 5g, ourdoor plant bins
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I know, right? It was actually my favorite tank I've done yet. However, at 6.6 gallons, I was quite limited, so now I have more options. I'm not certain how I'm going to scape this yet. I have a few ideas. I'll keep you guys posted through the progress. I feel like this should be in tank journals now that I'm starting over.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got everything set up in the 20L. Used all the same rocks and plants and wood. Also added 2 more pieces of wood. Used some fresh eco complete for the planted area, and SuperNaturals Torpedo Beach for the rest of the tank. Had a Cascade 700 canister I was going to use, but it was just too much flow, so I added a second sponge filter instead. Fish have been in for two days now and the water is starting to clear from the new eco complete. Still just using my phone for pictures, so sorry about the quality.

My only problem now is that there is so much more room in the 20 than in the 6.6 that I HAVE to get more fish. I need some ideas. Do I just add to the school of Flame Tetras? There are currently 9. The Flame Dwarf Gourami is still the centerpiece. He's definitely the king of the castle. Should I add a second school of something else? I need ideas people. Help me out.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 12:01 AM
Planted Member

I would add a pair of rams, and a few corydoras.

Nice upgrade, 20L is my favorite general purpose tank, ton of room for the capacity. Mine is a reef tank, and I'm thinking of grabbing another to do a planted.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

You think a pair of rams would be ok with the dwarf gourami? There wouldn't be any aggression issues?

And I agree about the 20 long. I've kept several throughout the years. And funny enough, now that I've got one again, I immediately thought about getting another for a reef after seeing the flow from the canister filter.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 03:37 PM
Planted Member

I've kept them together without issues in the past, but your mileage may vary

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode