10g Planted Bowl Lighting Suggestions, Anyone? - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 20
10g Planted Bowl Lighting Suggestions, Anyone?

Does anyone have any experience with mounting a light to a bowl?

I've set up a low tech 10 gallon bowl and I was wondering if anyone has any lighting solutions/suggestions to use. I've seen an instagramer that also has a 10 gallon planted bowl that looks really similar to mine. Her account is @Motherofsharks. She has an Evo Green Element 11 inch clip light attached to it. Does anyone know anything about this light? I also have been considering the fugeray planted+ cliplight.

My biggest concern right now is if any of these clip lights will fit on to the bevelled edges of the glass. Right now I just have a light bulb shining on to the side of the tank that's laying on the table. If anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do I'd love to hear it!

Plants I have right now are:
  • anubius
  • water wisteria
  • red luwigia
  • hygrophilla

I would buy the Evo light off Amazon and return it if it didn't work out but it only sells in US Amazon and I'm from Canada. I just don't want to go through the hassle of returning it if it doesn't work out. Which is why I'm asking you experts first hahaha

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
sorepatrol68 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:21 PM
Planted Member
 
Proteus01's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 216
Cool looking bowl, nicely done. Besides the table/desk light ideas to avoid the clip, having a light actually clipped to the sphere-ish shape sounds tough. How handy are you with making things? For me, I'd create my own clip with a curved clamp either by 3D printing (may not hold the strength well, depending on material), or possibly by using a heat gun on the existing one, slowly, and forming it to the bowl shape. Or, some stickyback weather stripping could be used inside the clamp to conform to the curvature.
I think a desk lamp or some pedestal separate from the bowl would let the top edge look nice and clean.
I have a few tulip vases (nearly cylindrical) that I lit this way, since I couldn't get a clip on the curve, and I screwed up the one clip I tried to heat. Never tried the weather stripping idea.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I can only grow plants when they're completely under water. Everything else is doomed.
Proteus01 is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:56 PM
Planted Member
 
Proteus01's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 216
Also, something with a screw-type clamp may work. https://www.amazon.com/Mingdak-Aquar.../dp/B010TIEMP6


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I can only grow plants when they're completely under water. Everything else is doomed.
Proteus01 is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 04:55 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 19
The desk lamp would be the easiest I think, or hanging the light from the ceiling would probably work. Creating a lid out of like plexiglass that you could set a light on would be another option.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
khaotickross is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 06:50 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 27
For something like that I'd go with a simple architect's lamp with a 13-23W CFL or a comparable LED. For my 2-gallon bowl I have an all-in-one LED desk lamp that Costco used to carry. I prefer daylight bulbs or cool white. Warm whites are too much of a greasy yellow.

Bump: Also, where did that huge bowl come from? I can never find a bowl bigger than my current 2 gallon. A 10 gallon glass bowl would look amazing.
Blnd is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus01 View Post
Cool looking bowl, nicely done. Besides the table/desk light ideas to avoid the clip, having a light actually clipped to the sphere-ish shape sounds tough. How handy are you with making things? For me, I'd create my own clip with a curved clamp either by 3D printing (may not hold the strength well, depending on material), or possibly by using a heat gun on the existing one, slowly, and forming it to the bowl shape. Or, some stickyback weather stripping could be used inside the clamp to conform to the curvature.
I think a desk lamp or some pedestal separate from the bowl would let the top edge look nice and clean.
I have a few tulip vases (nearly cylindrical) that I lit this way, since I couldn't get a clip on the curve, and I screwed up the one clip I tried to heat. Never tried the weather stripping idea.
Hmm these seem like very solid ideas. I wouldn't know where I'd get my hands on a 3D printer though. What do you mean by stickyback weather stripping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaotickross View Post
The desk lamp would be the easiest I think, or hanging the light from the ceiling would probably work. Creating a lid out of like plexiglass that you could set a light on would be another option.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Yeah I've considered the ceiling idea as well. It's just the matter of if my boyfriend would let me do that haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blnd View Post
For something like that I'd go with a simple architect's lamp with a 13-23W CFL or a comparable LED. For my 2-gallon bowl I have an all-in-one LED desk lamp that Costco used to carry. I prefer daylight bulbs or cool white. Warm whites are too much of a greasy yellow.

Bump: Also, where did that huge bowl come from? I can never find a bowl bigger than my current 2 gallon. A 10 gallon glass bowl would look amazing.
I got the bowl at Homesense. It's a Canadian home decor/furnishing/everything store. Stuff comes in randomly from all different brands and is usually cheaper than retail price. There was only one in the store so naturally I snatched it up. Homesense is kind of similar to TJX if you're comparing?? Idk, that's what Google say LOL. I would maybe try Michael's.


Do you guys know the specs of regular CFL bulbs or LED that would work?
Would a CFL 23w=100w Daylight 1600 lumens be too strong? (That's what I used to grow my tomatoes indoors)
sorepatrol68 is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 08:26 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorepatrol68 View Post
Hmm these seem like very solid ideas. I wouldn't know where I'd get my hands on a 3D printer though. What do you mean by stickyback weather stripping?



Yeah I've considered the ceiling idea as well. It's just the matter of if my boyfriend would let me do that haha



I got the bowl at Homesense. It's a Canadian home decor/furnishing/everything store. Stuff comes in randomly from all different brands and is usually cheaper than retail price. There was only one in the store so naturally I snatched it up. Homesense is kind of similar to TJX if you're comparing?? Idk, that's what Google say LOL. I would maybe try Michael's.


Do you guys know the specs of regular CFL bulbs or LED that would work?
Would a CFL 23w=100w Daylight 1600 lumens be too strong? (That's what I used to grow my tomatoes indoors)
I'm Canadian too. I've never had any reason to go into Homesense. Maybe I'll start staking it out. I got my current bowl from Michael's, and it's the biggest size they carry.

The 23W CFL is good. I used to have a 13W bulb for my 2.5G tubular vase, so a 23W for 10G should be good. If you get algae problems just switch to the smaller bulb.
Blnd is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 09:31 PM
Planted Member
 
Proteus01's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 216
The weather stripping would be at any home store. Most have a sticky side to them, behind a peel-off tape. You'd have to get an idea of needed thickness first.
Also, that's not my favorite idea anyway, and wouldn't look as good as a pendant or desk lamp.

If the 23W is too much and you're getting algae, try the 13W (as stated before me), or try reducing time. If you have other light sources that you can't control (nearby window, etc), get more plants, try to create some light blocking, get snails, or one of the other million algae defeating ideas.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I can only grow plants when they're completely under water. Everything else is doomed.
Proteus01 is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome