5Likes
  • 2 Post By KrypleBerry
  • 2 Post By wastewater
  • 6 Post By Seattle_Aquarist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ive been enjoying smaller tanks as of late and its been a wonderful experience to share with my wife and son. Over the passed 20 years my focus was on larger 90 gal +++ aquariums so I had forgotten how much fun these are. I would love to see some of the creative 10 gallon standards on this forum because many of you are very talented and maintain beautiful scapes. Im sure others would love the eye candy as well.

This is our 10 gallon Gardneri killi/ dwarf frog tank, 5 months running. The Gardneri are currently spawning.

We used flourite substrate with a bunch of ash river stones from Home Depot to act as a retaining wall of sorts with a thin layer of instant aquarium Tahitian moon sand from caribsea. Spider wood and rose wood were used with xmas moss, riccia, pellia, A. Reineckii mini, Cryptocyrene Parva, Giant Bucephelandra, Wisteria, 'super red' Ludwigia, bacopa sp., and not sure if I can remember the variety of Anubias. There is frogbit up top and a moss ball as well. We use diy co2, and a single 24w T5 at the moment with a lighting and co2 upgrade coming up soon.
Thanks for participating!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170812-190237_1502592891136.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	780617  

Name:	Screenshot_20170812-185632_1502592915277.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	780625  

Name:	Screenshot_20170812-185628_1502592943945.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	780633  

Name:	Screenshot_20170810-143024_1502593736467.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	780641  

Name:	Screenshot_20170812-201429_1502594090268.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	780657  

geektom and geektom like this.

Last edited by KrypleBerry; 08-19-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
No replies?

Nice set-up. Really like your 'Gardneri, and how you incorporated the riccia onto your branches.

Although not a true aquascape, this is my standard 10 gallon "potted stem" tank. Just plants and a few ramshorn snails (brightens up a dim corner in my home office).

vvDO and vvDO like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 05:26 AM
Algae Grower

This is the current state of my 9 Gallon Fluval Flex, I've got 3 Anubias Barteri in the back left corner, a Java Fern in the center of the back attached to a piece of cholla wood, 9 Water sprite buds that I'm trying to grow back out, the mother plant died when it was overrun with algae and I've got 3 Rosette swords.

I'm probably looking at getting either some Anubias Nana Petite, or some Green Wavy Buce for the crevices between the base stones and the pillar stone. Not sure which one though, I'm also probably going to move the two Rosette swords that are on the right, forward a little bit and put a nice Banana plant behind it!

I currently use it as my cute little community tank, I've got 3 Clown Killifish, and 6 Harlequin Rasboras.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0003[1].jpg
Views:	221
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	782513  

Name:	IMG_0004[1].jpg
Views:	175
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	782521  

Name:	IMG_0005[1].jpg
Views:	174
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	782529  

My name is Zaximus the Zensational and I am most likely better than you.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastewater View Post
No replies?

Nice set-up. Really like your 'Gardneri, and how you incorporated the riccia onto your branches.

Although not a true aquascape, this is my standard 10 gallon "potted stem" tank. Just plants and a few ramshorn snails (brightens up a dim corner in my home office).

Thank you, your tank does have a nice bright feel to it. It looks nice all topped and trimmed. I always liked the dutch style. What is the lighter stem stand in the center? That S. Repense is always an eye catcher, I want to use that in my next set up. What kind of substrate did you use? Thanks for bringing the thread to life.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensational View Post
This is the current state of my 9 Gallon Fluval Flex, I've got 3 Anubias Barteri in the back left corner, a Java Fern in the center of the back attached to a piece of cholla wood, 9 Water sprite buds that I'm trying to grow back out, the mother plant died when it was overrun with algae and I've got 3 Rosette swords.

I'm probably looking at getting either some Anubias Nana Petite, or some Green Wavy Buce for the crevices between the base stones and the pillar stone. Not sure which one though, I'm also probably going to move the two Rosette swords that are on the right, forward a little bit and put a nice Banana plant behind it!

I currently use it as my cute little community tank, I've got 3 Clown Killifish, and 6 Harlequin Rasboras.
Clown killis look awesome, we almost got those but stumbled on a gardneri pair and after telling my wife what they were she looked them up and before I knew it we had em in a bag. Lol starting to see eggs around in the pellia mostly. The frogs surprisingly dont bother, its the amano shrimp that need to learn to leave the killi eggs be. Our alpha male killed and ate an amano that pushed the egg issue repeatedly but leaves the others alone. I have buce green, nana petite, anubias nana, giant buce, and mini red buce. Id recommend the mini red as I have only ever seen it in my tank.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi KrypleBerry,

10 gallon; no CO2; dose EI with Excel / glut; low light ([email protected]); 10 weeks after planting; substrate: high CEC Montmorillonite clay / Safe-t-sorb

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 10:36 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrypleBerry View Post
Quote:

Clown killis look awesome, we almost got those but stumbled on a gardneri pair and after telling my wife what they were she looked them up and before I knew it we had em in a bag. Lol starting to see eggs around in the pellia mostly. The frogs surprisingly dont bother, its the amano shrimp that need to learn to leave the killi eggs be. Our alpha male killed and ate an amano that pushed the egg issue repeatedly but leaves the others alone. I have buce green, nana petite, anubias nana, giant buce, and mini red buce. Id recommend the mini red as I have only ever seen it in my tank.
I'm loving my solid green tank, and I think I'll keep it as a green rhizome plant. I have a few red minis in my betta tanks, but I don't love the look of them, I'd also like to have something big enough to cover the crevice. Anubias Nana Petite at least would have enough coverage for it. I love both Anubias, and Buce plants now.

My name is Zaximus the Zensational and I am most likely better than you.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
What is the lighter stem stand in the center? What kind of substrate did you use?
Ammannia pedicellata (aka: "golden nesaea") still slowly transforming from its emersed form. Moved some Limnophila aromatica occupying that spot into another set-up.

Tank substrate is standard inert black gravel. Plant substrate is loam consisting of sand, silt, clay & humus in different proportions (about an inch deep); capped with black sand (about 1 1/2" deep).

The 'ole' standard (black frame) 10's are a lot of fun to play around with, and they definitely do not break the bank.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastewater View Post
Quote:
What is the lighter stem stand in the center? What kind of substrate did you use?
Ammannia pedicellata (aka: "golden nesaea") still slowly transforming from its emersed form. Moved some Limnophila aromatica occupying that spot into another set-up.

Tank substrate is standard inert black gravel. Plant substrate is loam consisting of sand, silt, clay & humus in different proportions (about an inch deep); capped with black sand (about 1 1/2" deep).

The 'ole' standard (black frame) 10's are a lot of fun to play around with, and they definitely do not break the bank.
Ive never seen Nesaea emersed before, no wonder I didnt recognize it right away. It just looked different. Is that pellia in the front center? If so we did the same thing with ours, mine is just in my 15 column. I love the look of it. Yes the tens are amazing, so cheap and versatile. Very clean set up you have, nice to look at. Thanks again for sharing!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi KrypleBerry,

10 gallon; no CO2; dose EI with Excel / glut; low light ([email protected]); 10 weeks after planting; substrate: high CEC Montmorillonite clay / Safe-t-sorb
Always clean and well thought out. Interesting mix for the substrate. Ive seen a few tanks using similar mixes and wondered what the mix was. Any particular pros over using aqua solum, ada, or other buffering substrates? How is the longevity of that mix? Id imagine the price is probably considerably lower for the safe-t-sorb mix than say ada substrates.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

Sorry you don't qualify you are 1 gallon short haha Just kidding. Nice tank

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 04:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Quote:
Always clean and well thought out. Interesting mix for the substrate. Ive seen a few tanks using similar mixes and wondered what the mix was. Any particular pros over using aqua solum, ada, or other buffering substrates? How is the longevity of that mix? Id imagine the price is probably considerably lower for the safe-t-sorb mix than say ada substrates.
Hi KrypleBerry,

Just one substrate, Safe-t-sorb #7941; $40# for $6.49 at Tractor Supply. The first wash requires some patience.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode