• 2 Post By Proteus01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face Brand New 5G

Hey guys!-

When I say brand new, I mean brand new.

It's a regular ol' 5g rectangular aquarium. I've got about an inch of black fluorite on the bottom, and water filled to about halfway. The filter I intend to use is just a Marina Power Filter S15, and if I remember right (I'll check the box to confirm) it goes through 55g an hour. It has an adjustable flow, and I've used it in a prior tank.

Ultimately the deal is that I had a 10g that was 'planted' but I had no idea what I was doing. Not long after I bought my plants, my mental health took a dive and I became neglectful of the aquarium and gave it to a friend who sold it to someone else who knew what they were doing. I think keeping a pretty tank would be a great de-stresser and a nice hobby to keep me uplifted!

I have a plan, but I need to know about a few different plants. I've also got a CO2 setup ready if I need it. I still need to purchase a light, so advice on that would be great. I don't mind if the plants require more light and more care, but I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

What kinds of plants would be good for such a small tank? Are there plants that will stay short? I need a couple taller plants, a couple shorter plants, and a carpet plant. Can I mix carpet plants alright?Any advice on this topic is appreciated!

5g (eventually!) planted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've been looking into dwarf baby tears a little, and I'd really love to try those. I'd have to set up my CO2 and get a good light, but that would also open my options for plants.

Maybe some darker green plants for the back?

I wouldn't mind something that floats too! Only where I live no local stores sell anything like that.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 05:34 PM
Planted Member

For stay-small plants, I'd recommend any of dwarf rosette swords, crypt parva, java fern, anubias nana, and moss balls. Floaters: riccia is easy, though it needs trimming or thinning - maybe frequent. I like it at the very surface, with some emersed growth, best. Frogbit looks very nice, though I've never had it. I'm wanting to look into it.
Small tanks are good places for cheap lights. Fluval PCL-13 fluorescent does great on 3 similar tanks for me. Desk light with 14w led 5000k bulb works for me too.
efunk and efunk like this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus01 View Post
Small tanks are good places for cheap lights. Fluval PCL-13 fluorescent does great on 3 similar tanks for me. Desk light with 14w led 5000k bulb works for me too.
Thank you so much for the reply.

My tank will primarily be low light plants, but I'd like to try some medium range light too. Those lights would work well for that set up?

5g (eventually!) planted.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 04:15 PM
Planted Member

From my experience, the Fluval is really just for low, low-med plants. It does very well for them, but don't expect high light plants to thrive. Especially if you go the CO2 route. Carpets likely need high light, CO2. The easy plants are fine without. That matches my preference anyway, so I'm good with it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 03:16 AM
Algae Grower

Start with light (the only parameter doesn't change) - low, med or high. Then choose your plant base on light. other will follow

First 5 gallon tank

Tags
5 gallon, nano tank, plant advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode