FireAqua 9 or 14G - Aquascaping - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post FireAqua 9 or 14G - Aquascaping

Hello All,

I'm new to aquascaping, tanks, fishes, freshwater and everything that comes with , and I am willing to do something nice and beautiful. So I'd like some suggestions about equipments, which at the end, I can have an attractive setup.

The tank will be a rimless FireAqua 9 or 14G. Which the last is something similar to a ADA 60P +-
I intend to add some red rocks, moss and driftwood. A betta and a gang of neon tetras.

But at an equipment level, I need a filter. Thinking about an external filter with the hoses, will turn the aquarium not attractive, since the hoses are black (Fluval 106 or 206), as well as the clippers that will attach them to the aquarium. There are the ADA filter, which comes in glass, but that costs a lot...

Suggestion on lighting.

So, anyone could lead me to a nice attractive nano setup and with good quality.

I did look a lot, but I see a lot of people saying different things though...

Any help would be appreciated.

Marcello
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 06:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Cheap lighting = chihiros a series or rgb / desk lamp with a 6500k bulb

Eheim filter is an investment you won't regret. Connect some transparant tubes with lily pipes and voila ada style. I would aim for a filter that pumps 10x your tank per hour. Example if your tank is 20 gallon get a filter that claims to pump 200 gallon per hour. This way you have plenty of flow which is nice for a high tech tank. Add some seachem purigen on top of it
Filter media setup

upload image

ADA 60p is a great size to begin with not to small not to big.

Rimless tank great choice

Buy hardscape and play in a cardboard box(same size as your aquarium) to get a scape that you like. When you like the scape, set it up in your aquarium. Follow the rule of the thirds (golden ratio/focal points), watch for inspiration tanks and try to "copy" them. Make pictures of your tank and ask for feedback. (on pictures you can improve things better than from watching it in real life IMO)

https://www.thegreenmachineonline.co...ng-perspectiv/

Get a good rich substrate with ferts like ada aqua soil, tropica etc. Make sure to cycle your tank which is easy with new ada aqua soil as it leeches ammonia for 2-6 weeks.

A co2 system is a great way to grow plants better / more lush a.k.a. that something nice and beautiful you are aiming for. Also easier to fight algae.

Important factors for plant growth are fertilisers, lighting and co2.

I still miss a ton of things probably you need to read a lot over and over again about this subject.

Do as much research as you can. You will benefit from that! Be patience in this hobby

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

Last edited by Nigel95; 08-03-2017 at 06:19 PM. Reason: edit
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 08:16 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel95 View Post
Cheap lighting = chihiros a series or rgb / desk lamp with a 6500k bulb

Eheim filter is an investment you won't regret. Connect some transparant tubes with lily pipes and voila ada style. I would aim for a filter that pumps 10x your tank per hour. Example if your tank is 20 gallon get a filter that claims to pump 200 gallon per hour. This way you have plenty of flow which is nice for a high tech tank. Add some seachem purigen on top of it
Filter media setup

upload image

ADA 60p is a great size to begin with not to small not to big.

Rimless tank great choice

Buy hardscape and play in a cardboard box(same size as your aquarium) to get a scape that you like. When you like the scape, set it up in your aquarium. Follow the rule of the thirds (golden ratio/focal points), watch for inspiration tanks and try to "copy" them. Make pictures of your tank and ask for feedback. (on pictures you can improve things better than from watching it in real life IMO)

https://www.thegreenmachineonline.co...ng-perspectiv/

Get a good rich substrate with ferts like ada aqua soil, tropica etc. Make sure to cycle your tank which is easy with new ada aqua soil as it leeches ammonia for 2-6 weeks.

A co2 system is a great way to grow plants better / more lush a.k.a. that something nice and beautiful you are aiming for. Also easier to fight algae.

Important factors for plant growth are fertilisers, lighting and co2.

I still miss a ton of things probably you need to read a lot over and over again about this subject.

Do as much research as you can. You will benefit from that! Be patience in this hobby
What shape is your prospective tank? Tall/shallow? Rectangle/square?

Square will let you hide your tubing without significant obstruction to water flow (at least no more obstructive than side mounting outflow in a square tank)

Try to do your heat and CO2 inline to keep the focus on the livestock. If you go canister, you will want an inline heater like this:

Hydor ETH 300 In-Line External Aquarium Heater, 300w, 5/8" hose https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002Z7VQE..._5L3Gzb2FFK2JS

I found that, with my 30 gallon tank build, it was cheaper to turn an old 10 gallon into a sump rather than buy special inline equipment. Maybe you can do the same with an old 5 gallon? There are other added benifits to a sump such as alternative filtration choices, more water volume for stability, refugium, etc.

Either way you go, i would get a co2 reactor. Reduces the size of co2 bubbles going into your tank will make the water clearer.

Gulfstream Tropical AGU00528 Ista Max Mix Co2 Reactor for Aquarium, Medium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DGJDXQ..._js4GzbJCBF4M3

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Tags
aquascaping for beginners, betta fish, moss carpet, neon tetras, rimless tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode