45U Bonsai Scape - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
45U Bonsai Scape

This tank was set up about a month ago, but I haven't taken that many pictures of it's progress like I should have

Equipment:
Eheim 2213 (impeller removed)
Ecoplus 396gph pump (drives the Eheim)
Glass Lily Pipes
Hydor 200w inline heater
Chihiros 45cm LED (Aqua-Sky clone) with remote control + DIY RGB LED strip
24oz Paintball CO2 tank + Red Sea paintball regulator
Ista Inline Turbo CO2 Reactor
Ikea Bissa shoe cabinet as the stand

Substrate/Decor:
Seiryu Stone
Bonsai Tree
Black Diamond Blasting Sand with Oscomote+ pills scattered throughout

Fauna:
13 Ember Tetras
11 Pygmy Cories
5 Nerite snails
2 Amano Shrimp
2 Dwarf Mexican Crayfish (CPO)
Ramshorn snails
Pond Snails
Scuds

Flora:
Fissidens Fontanus
Staurogyne Repens
Hydrocotyle 'Japan'
HC
HM
Dwarf Hairgrass
Blyxa Japonica
Anubias Nana 'petite'
Buce sp 'green'

Water conditions as of tonight (7/31/17):
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10

Haven't checked pH in a while but last time I checked, it was at ~6.5

I know my tank is super overstocked right now, but I adopted the 13 Ember Tetras from someone who was emptying their tank. I like them so they're staying for now, but I'm not too sure what I want to do with this tank long-term just yet. The pygmy cories are most likely staying. I've been testing the water daily to check for any spikes, but so far so good (*knock on wood). The CPO, who is berried, a nerite or two, and an Amano shrimp will probably get moved into another tank that will probably be an invertebrate tank once it's done cycling.

The Chihiros light, although a clone, is actually surprisingly nice in my opinion. With the remote, I have 20 levels of dimming. At level 20 (100%), the tank is wayyy too bright. I'm still messing around with lighting now since green spot algae is growing rapidly. Currently, it's at level 15 (75%) brightness for 8 hours a day. It was at level 17 for about two weeks, but I had a lot of fuzzy brown algae that seemed to disappear on it's own? I really like RGB lights so I decided to mount some to the light for nighttime viewing so I don't startle the fish by turning on the main lights. CO2 is running at ~1.5bps.

The Anubias Nana 'petite' was initially covered with black beard algae but disappeared on it's own in about a week and a half. Now, I get a new leaf about every 3-4 days. Fissidens is growing a bit slower and it's much closer to the light so I'm having minor algae issues but it's not noticeable so I don't really mind. I'm not sure what's going on with HC; i've never really tried growing it before. There's clearly new growth, but earlier last week it seemed like it was dying just as fast as it was growing. This week it seems better but we'll see. I received like a small node of dwarf hairgrass and decided to throw it into the back of the tank cause why not? It's starting to send out a few runners. I never had much success with Blyxa either and it doesn't really seem like it's growing a whole lot - it's not really getting any taller but it looks a bit bushier than when I first got it.

Also, ignore the drop checker. I don't think it's accurate as it's always green even when there's no CO2 running. It never turns blue. I think I need new 4dkh solution

First picture is the initial setup, while I was still playing around with the scape.

Not sure why the 2nd picture is sideways; it's upright on my computer... The tree wasn't completely water-logged when I first filled the tank so I used scissors to weight it down for a few days. This picture was taken right after I filled up the tank.

The last 2 pictures were taken almost a week ago. I'll take some new pictures tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170716_041029.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	777281  

Name:	20170720_224336.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	777289  

Name:	20170727_222951.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	777297  

Name:	20170727_013901.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	777305  

Eheim Pimp #351, Classic 2213.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by OhNo123; 09-17-2017 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Update Fauna/Flora/Equip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 01:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice scape
OhNo123 and OhNo123 like this.

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 02:41 PM
Planted Member

Wow and it looks like you really have fun doing scapes too.
OhNo123 and OhNo123 like this.

Brian Rodgers

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

8/1/17

Added frosted window film to the back of the tank

Lowered the brightness to 50% to see if that will help my algae problem.

HM seems to have grown a bit over the last week

Going to a 30% water change later tonight

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Pluke and Pluke like this.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

8/7/17

Lowering the light to 50% brightness definitely helped with the algae. Also, nerite snails are amazing algae eaters.

Hydrocotyle 'Japan' and Staurogyne Repens got some notice growth over the last week, and HC is starting to fill in.

HM not doing so well, but not too sure why. There's new growth but older stems look like they get covered in some green algae and then die and snap off, causing new growth to fall with it.

Riccia magically appeared

Berried CPO is about to drop her babies any day now so I put her in a breeding cage because I somehow have scuds in this tank and don't want them to attack the baby crays.

Added another horned nerite and CPO(male) temporarily until my other tank is cycled.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 03:29 AM
Algae Grower

that tree on the hill is awesome
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Pictures taken 8/16

Saw this beatiful halfmoon plakat at Petco and had to get him. He's the boss of the tank now all the fish make way for him but he doesn't actively attack anyone which is good. I was afraid he'd bully the other inhabitants, but he usually just minds his own business. Hopefully he'll find and eat the scuds in the tank.

HM isn't really growing, can't seem to figure out why :/

The berried CPO dropped her babies but only two survived and I moved them into a fluval spec III but I haven't seen them since the day I put them in so they're probably dead now too but good news is that they're mating!

I have some plans for the filtration and co2 setup - I want to move away from the ceramic diffuser and use a reactor instead. I'm afraid the eheim 2213 isn't going to have enough flow to make the reactor work so I also ordered a 365gph external pump. I'm gonna unplug the eheim and remove the impeller and use the external pump to drive the canister. We'll see how that goes

.boogphįh. and .boogphįh. like this.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

8/21

Starting EI dosing this week. Female CPO is berried again. Trimmed back all the unhealthy parts of the HM so maybe it'll grow now.

Took out the impeller of the 2213 and added an inline 396gph pump to drive the filter instead because I also moved away from a ceramic diffuser and am now using a co2 reactor. With all the things I have inline, I'm still getting pretty much the same flow as if I was just using a bare 2213.

This week I took some pics at different angles

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

8/28

I think I dosed too much fertz last week so now I have staghorn... it's mostly in my fissidens. Gonna cut back the dosage amounts by 2/3 and see how that goes this week.

Female CPO dropped all her eggs, probably because of the increase in co2 levels and nutrients in the tank. Otherwise she is fine, still out and about.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 02:54 AM
Algae Grower

Ahhh I'm sad she lost her eggs. Your tank is beautiful!!! I really love how it is filled in, I don't know which plant you are talking about not doing well but I think everything looks really good. awesome.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I love betta fish, but in the past I experienced rapidly diminishing numbers of RCS when I added a betta to my tank... Usually they don't attack tetras because they are very fast and their fins are small. I like the crayfish... How big do those get? - the ones you have.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angella View Post
Ahhh I'm sad she lost her eggs. Your tank is beautiful!!! I really love how it is filled in, I don't know which plant you are talking about not doing well but I think everything looks really good. awesome.
Thanks! The plant that wasn't doing well is the plant in the back right corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizpa305 View Post
I love betta fish, but in the past I experienced rapidly diminishing numbers of RCS when I added a betta to my tank... Usually they don't attack tetras because they are very fast and their fins are small. I like the crayfish... How big do those get? - the ones you have.
In my experience, the temperament varies from betta to betta. The one I have is really passive; he doesn't bother anyone else in this tank, not even the Amano Shrimp. CPOs max out at about 2", they're roughly the same size as the betta without fins. People also have mixed experiences with CPOs and Bettas, with some saying that CPOs will attack the betta. The CPOs in my tank aren't aggressive either though. Everyone seems to get along quite well

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

9/4

Been have some staghorn algae issues with my fissidens this past week so I tried the one two punch method with 2 tbsp of h202 for 15 minutes and then 5ml of excel afterwards. Didn't seem to do much though so I might try it again with 3 tbsp next weekend if the staghorn is still growing a lot. Gonna lower the EI dosing amount amount again to see if that will help.

Also set up another tank this past week, a 3g shrimp tank with a DIY fountain off a ohko stone. Will make a journal for that soon.

Nigel95 and Nigel95 like this.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 04:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am just getting back into planted tanks. Had a nano a few years back, fell in love with a betta in Petco last night and had to bring him home. Waiting for his permanent aquarium to arrive and looking at scape ideas. I love the bonsai!! How did you do that? Is it a special kind? or wood with moss attached to the "branches"?

"Ammo" - lavender/cellophane super delta tail male

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

One Two punch method cleared my tank of staghorn, HM is growing a bit now and I trimmed back the hydrocotyle. I'm considering removing the anubias nana petite and buces and replacing them with something else

Pictures taken yesterday

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode