need help with filtration - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
need help with filtration

I have a topfin all in one 5.5g planted.

the original pump died on me so I replaced it. I never found the the filtration in this tank very good. The all in one area is very small and no matter how much I clean it, there is always a buildup.

The impeller shaft on my second pump just snapped. I am using an hob right now and it filters much better.

The problem is it doesn't allow the glass lid to fit properly and I need the lid, I have cats and theres frogs in the tank.

My husband was thinking of hanging the hob on the side where the aio wall is. he was thinking of putting the intake in the AIO portion, cutting part of the wall for the hob return to flow directly into the tank.

My concern with this is will the filtration be impeded with the intake being in the aio section?

in the attached picture, the yellow arrow is where the hob intake would be, inside the grey wall, the yellow square would be cut out for the return water to go into the tank.

FYI: I don't recommend this tank at all. I wish I had gotten the fluval spec or a standard 5g
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	775393  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 05:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Imo id just upgrade the return pump all together. Get a little rio 80 it will move a lot more water and won't fail out on you! It the first thing I change whenever i buy an AIO tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The issue is with betta's the flow can't be strong. I had a hydor pico 100 on the lowest setting because any higher and there was too much flow. that was a very tight fit and it's less than 2".

I'd replace the whole tank if I could because the AIO compartment is tiny.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 08:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I'd let your husband mod it as you have described. Especially since you're already happy with the performance of the HOB.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode