The Planted Tank Forum banner

El Mini M

8K views 74 replies 13 participants last post by  albirdy 
#1 ·
Tank: ADA Mini M/Garden Mat

Light: ADA Aqua Sky

Substrate: ADA Amazonia powder type, super sand special, la plata sand

Stone: Dragon Stone

Filtration: Eheim 2211 with Jardli 10mm spin pipe, 12mm intake. (Cheap lily pipes off amazon). ADA clear hose.

C02: 20oz paintball tank, Aquatek mini regulator. Undecided on injection method.

Flora: undecided

Fauna: undecided

As for now there is still some missing pieces to the puzzle but I will decide on those as time goes by. As for now I have topped of the tank and started the filter. I'll post a photo once the tank clears up as it is a bit cloudy now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Wasn't happy with the main stone in the previous scape. I wanted a very large piece, one that made a bold statement. I believe I finally found one that states just that. Although I'm not 100% happy with the sand layout. Wish there was more curvature to it. In other words, I would have liked the sand to start a bit in the front then wrap around.

#4 ·
I appreciate it! I went back to the store in hopes of finding a larger dragon stone, but they didn't have anything. So I switched to seriyu stone instead. Dragon stone is very soft so in the case of algae, any scrubbing would cause a lot of dust in the tank. Glad I went with another type of stone.

#13 ·
That's exactly what I had in mind. I will be performing water changes for the first 2 weeks to cycle the Amazonia. I hear that it can burn some carpeting plants and ug is sensitive so I will try and take out some dirt during one of the water changes.

#18 ·
I've always been a fan of keeping tanks as clean as possible, but I was curious to see how diffusers worked out. Ordered an Do Aqua music glass diffuser for the mini m.. its so small! My package holding two cups of ug has been delayed by usps for some reason? I hope it makes it here well. Here's a shot of the diffuser and my current room setup

#21 ·
Although the package from AFA was delayed a day, the UG arrived in great condition. This small patch in such a little tank took 1 3/4 cups of tissue cultured UG! I did plant as dense as possible so that it will carpet faster. As you can tell, I caved into dry starting this tank. There's still a bit of water because I wasn't able to fully siphon out all of it. Figure it will help keep everything moist. The plan is to run the light for 10hrs a day, mist once a day and fill myself up with patience.

#28 ·
There doesn't have to be any sitting water at all, only the soil should be moist.
When you mist the tank you'll notice a film forms over the aquasoil and clings to the glass, that's all you need.
Anything more than that and you will have no oxygen in the root zone, your plants roots might rot and float away when you flood.

Another benefit to keeping air gaps between the soil is that the oxygen will super promote bacteria on the soil and your tank will be cycling so to speak during this phase.

#34 ·
Was originally going to go with an aquatek mini regulator and a paint ball tank setup, but after further thought I love decided to add a second needle valve to my current regulator. Ordered all the pieces last night. The only thing that I'm bumbed out on is that the T fitting is not stainless steel. I'll eventually swap it out. Other than that, going with the same Parker needle valve. I've been running my 45p off a 5lb cylinder for the past four months and I'm still at over 1kpsi. So, I don't see the need for a whole other c02 setup for this tank.

#37 ·
The light on your other tank, is that a Twinstar? I was thinking of ordering an Aquasky for my 30C however my local shop has a 12" Twinstar LED in stock and wanted to see what your thoughts are on the Twinstar in comparison to your Aquasky 361.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to seeing your plants fill in!

#43 ·
Hey man, hows the UG coming along? I'm realizing now that I made a bad decision flooding my tank with the UG in it. I've had about 75% of it float to the surface since I originally put it in. The rest of the 25% are doing great though LOL

#45 ·
Well, two days ago I noticed that the sand started show blue green algae. My assumption is that the nutrients from the soil leached down into the sand. Nutrients, light and moisture fall fed this mishap. I quickly filled the tank with RODI, added GH booster, nutrients and hooked up the c02 system. Fourth eight hours into the flood, no signs of melt back. In fact I've seen more growth. Running a line green drop checker with 4DKH solution. Hopefully all keeps carrying on well. Behind the main stone there is a patch of non planted dirt which will welcome in some sort of stem plant. Suggestions welcome for that!

#46 ·
I have always like a fade of reds, go for like rotala green then fade it into some walichi then into sunrise and then into mini butterfly. I know it is gonna be more than you wanted to spend but it sure would look good. That's what I'm going to do with my 120-P once it's planted.

#47 · (Edited)
Everything has been going well in this tank, especially the UG. A little bit of green hair algae has sprouted that that's been attributed to trying to dial in the co2. Bought a PH pen, trying to get that 1point drop. Added some more flora. This was added behind the rock: Eleocharis Acicularis, Myriophyllum sp. mini guyana. Again Tc was used. Fauna: one Otocinclus Catfish, Two Amano shrimp, one Nerite snail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.