DIY CO2 explosion - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 explosion

Hi! I setup a DIY co2 system using one of those nifty pre assembled bottlecap systems that you can get on Amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/DIY-CO2-Aquarium-Plant-System/dp/B008CUZJF6
I set it all up with a bubble counter and using a citric acid and baking soda system to generate the co2. This worked great for the last week and a half. The pressure stayed around 1.5 (halfway through the green zone on the gauge) and I was using .5 bubbles/sec which was suggested by the instructions.

Well, tonight it exploded a little. Over the last two days I noticed that the pressure was building itself up to 3-5 on the gauge. When I noticed this I would bleed it off a bit down back into the green zone. This was working fine, until my boyfriend decided to help, and instead of pulling a line and opening up the pin valve all the way he decided to try just unscrewing one of the bottle caps. The noise was deafening and of course everything got coated with a layer of baking soda water.

So, my question is about the pressure fluxuations. It started happening in the last day and a half, while we were experiencing a lot of barometric variations. No idea if that is a likely root cause.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow! that sounds exciting :P

has it been warmer? Pressure changes seem like a plausible contributing factor to me too.

PS back in the day when I was doing DIY CO2 that sweet bottle cap assembly did not exist. I had to drill holes in caps and silicone them in place -- so much less awesome. I'm really impressed by that rig!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 04:14 AM
Algae Grower

I always have a problem with the pressure dropping. I end up having to squeeze bottle b like crazy to get the pressure back up.

When live gives you lemons make a lemon drop.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for responding! It got much warmer by about 10 degrees F last week then we had rain and storms and it dropped a little but not much. That said I try to keep the apartment cooler with fans going while at work during the day and the parts of the night when nobody is in the room with the tank. There is a chunk of the evening when the room is air conditioned.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 06:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

This is why I don't do my DIY CO2 systems against those sintered glass diffusers that require higher pressure. I keep all of mine as low pressure feeding into either a power head or a low pressure filter or circulation outflow pipe or tube.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode