DIY CO2 explosion
Hi! I setup a DIY co2 system using one of those nifty pre assembled bottlecap systems that you can get on Amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/DIY-CO2-Aquarium-Plant-System/dp/B008CUZJF6
I set it all up with a bubble counter and using a citric acid and baking soda system to generate the co2. This worked great for the last week and a half. The pressure stayed around 1.5 (halfway through the green zone on the gauge) and I was using .5 bubbles/sec which was suggested by the instructions.
Well, tonight it exploded a little. Over the last two days I noticed that the pressure was building itself up to 3-5 on the gauge. When I noticed this I would bleed it off a bit down back into the green zone. This was working fine, until my boyfriend decided to help, and instead of pulling a line and opening up the pin valve all the way he decided to try just unscrewing one of the bottle caps. The noise was deafening and of course everything got coated with a layer of baking soda water.
So, my question is about the pressure fluxuations. It started happening in the last day and a half, while we were experiencing a lot of barometric variations. No idea if that is a likely root cause.