Reefer setting up a basic office tank - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 01:40 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Howdy. I'm new to posting, lurking for a while.

I've been contemplating an office tank for a while - similar to yours. My plan was to emulate my low-maint small tanks at home, with either bettas or RCS (I've got a mix of them, but separate tanks of course).

I use fluorite black, but was considering bare bottom for the office. I use lots of wood, but I like your rocks. I like the rear plants you have. My plants:
Java fern. I bought two, now have roughly 20 plants in six tanks.
Anubias nana petite. Super easy, pretty, grows slow.
Crypt parva. Really fun to propagate - nearly carpet, slightly faster than java fern on growth, for me. Stays low, and has nice looking leaves - also very low maintenance.
Anacharis. Grows tall, can drape along the top surface, or be trimmed/replanted. Bulletproof.
Micro swords. Not exactly which ones I got, but they stay low, cover a good area, and take only a small trim/pluck occasionally.
Riccia fluitans. A bit of a weed, I've likely thrown more away than I have. But it absolutely beats duckweed for a floating cover (which is near impossible to remove). My favorite clump is growing emersed on top of driftwood. It looks better than the submerged version.

I use Fluval pcl-13 fluorescents, and led desk lights. The Fluval lights do awesome. They don't have that purpley look that LED lights like the Finnex have - my preference.

Filters for me range from DIY canisters to small HOB, and air lift sponges. I do not run any ferts, and no CO2. Water change 1/week, like most folks. I use API dechloro and Stress-zyme.

Looking forward to seeing some more of your results, perhaps you'll convince me to go ahead with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
I might take the rocks out and see if you can get some Cyperus Helfiri to make a nice tall grass background as you mentioned you like that.
I'd be very reserved with your photo period right now too, that light looks quite bright and you don't have much plant mass.
A good amount of Crypts would look good too I bet!

I sort of like the rocks with the tall plants behind them. Funny on the light cycle. I left work a bit early yesterday and left my light on. all night. oops. needless to say I timer was found and is now in place. 6 hours of light

Bump: Thanks Proteus. The rocks came from the creek bed at our property. they were bleached for 24 hours and then left to dry in the sun for a few months. I dont know plant names at all except that I do have some Crypts in there. just a few little plants.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

OK.

1. tall plants died.
2. I tried the Co2 but I think i would want a timer and solenoid on it to make it effective. It is in the floor now
3. down to just a pair of Neons. I may get a really nice beta. I saw some half moons that were a super wicked pink that I should have grabbed one.
4. I got snails. tiny ones and one or two great big speedy dudes.
5. I got diatoms and they went away on their own. I havent added anything to the tank except water.

thats about it. it has settled in nicely I guess. I kind of want some moss for the rocks and some taller amazon swords for the back but will just have to wait.

also a reef photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171009_100336.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	794674  

Name:	IMG_20170929_204259.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	794690  

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I ended up with some free time in Nashville so i went ot my favorite LFS. they very sold out of nice saltwater fish, but had just received a shipment of Betta. I have been wanting one for the little office nano planted so I had to choose.

ended up with a pair of males because I simply could not choose.

for the office, this gem. a Red Dragon with full mask and white eyes. I have never seen one like this so I had to pull the trigger. Also got some grass bundles and I am very pleased as are the Neons.

For the house, I kept a double tail half moon with a very multicolored tail and light body. it gets a 1 gallon vase on the tv stand.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20171019_101813.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	797010  

Name:	IMG_20171019_093101.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	797018  

Name:	IMG_20171019_101800.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	797026  

Name:	IMG_20171018_143047.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	797034  

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

a few more photos of the new fish.

post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So, the grass grew....

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 06:21 PM
Algae Grower

Nice little tank you got in the office! But, uh. A betta in a small vase like that? Has he gotten an upgrade yet?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- ~30G low everything, open top, dirted community aquascape ... thingy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode