Planted 2.5 Gallon Stocking (originally posted in "Fish") - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted 2.5 Gallon Stocking (originally posted in "Fish")

To give some background, I'm getting back into the aquarium hobby after 2 years off(due to an issue out of my control).

Now back to the question, what type of fish or fish+invert combo can I put in my 2.5 gallon tank?

The 2.5 is currently planted with 1 anubias nana, 1 java fern, 3 marimo moss balls, 3 stems of moneywort and a cluster of java moss. I may also add some small crypts and some sort of floating cover plants. My current filter is a HOB filter rated for 10 gallons.

P.S. Id rather not have a betta or invert only tank(with the exception of a CPO maybe?)

Reposted this here since it might get more replies/insight from "nano tank people"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well, if you must add fish, you could probably get away with 2-3 male endler guppies and some RCS. I love nano fish but my smallest tanks are 5g.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

guppies or tetras

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 06:12 PM
Algae Grower

You could maybe get away with a few CPD I have some in a 3 gallon and they are doing great but make sure they have many hiding spots or they will hide all the time.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 06:14 PM
Algae Grower

You could for sure get a dwarf mexican cray. They are very interesting and would thrive in a 2.5 gallon with alot of surface area and from what I know they are pretty active.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 06:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
boraras brigittae?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 07:23 PM
Algae Grower

There really are few fish you could happily house in there. Sorry!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 08:04 PM
Algae Grower

I think it it unethical to place a fish in a 2.5 gallon tank, that's pretty small. I'm not sure where you're located, but considering the low cost of a 10 gallon tank it would be more responsible as a fishkeeper to get a larger aquarium if you want livestock that needs more space. Think of the animals you are keeping.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Don't underestimate bettas. Some are absolutely gorgeous and make a very fine specimen for a little tank.

As far as "other" fish are concerned, if you have some driftwood available, I'd consider 1-2 oto cats. I've had 3 in a 30cm cube for over a year without any issues whatsoever. Well....like a week ago I was cleaning the glass and bulldozed one off with my algae magnet. He did fine for about a week but just yesterday I found him in the intake strainer of my aquaclear 20 But that wasn't the tanks fault, all me not paying attention. I would however advise to not put these guys in a fresh new tank. Give it a month or so for the cycle to complete and biofilm to be readily available for them. These guys do have a tendency to be somewhat fragile though.

Just keep on top of your water changes (nutrient export/replenishment) and you should be fine with 1-4 nano fish (tetras, guppies, oto's, bettas [just one] etc.)

Some shrimp with a couple oto's would look nice.

Also, with wood in the tank, I've never directly fed my oto's anything ever. They survive solely on micro algae/biofilm the tank produces and the wood. Going on about 18 months now.

If you were doing saltwater I'd tell you to get a juvinile occelaris clown and upgrade to a 10g. You can do a lot with 2.5g of freshwater if your husbandry (how well you take care of your tank) is frequent and productive (actually maintaining your tank). Just limit your fish load to species that don't exceed 2" (minus bettas) and only stock like 4 max (obviously only one bettas though).

Honestly, for a 2.5g, I'd stick to a beautiful betta. They are super easy to care for and will be much more forgiving in 2.5g, just find s healthy looking one in the store and you should be good to go. They will also love to lounge around and in your plants.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (41/100%)
I wouldn't keep any fish in a 2.5 gallon. Atleast bump it up to a 5 gallon and go for something tiny like chili rasboras.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 04:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
A colony of Heterandria Formosa would be fine in 2.5 gallons. I had a colony of over 20 in a 5 gallon before. While they enjoy all parts of the tank, they really don't mind smaller spaces. I raised 6 in a 2 gallon vase before with no issues. Lots of interesting behavior, charming, hardy as all heck, I'd say give them a chance
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
Well, if you must add fish, you could probably get away with 2-3 male endler guppies and some RCS. I love nano fish but my smallest tanks are 5g.
I agree, I thnk the endlers would be fine. Also remember its not only the size of the tank its how fast conditions change. So small fish that are sensitive would probably not do well.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I've put in two more anubias and another java fern, while removing the java moss. I won't be stocking it for another two weeks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode