planning a 5 gallon tank for a dorm. all ideas welcome - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By PoPoBTC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb planning a 5 gallon tank for a dorm. all ideas welcome

I'm currently trying to plan a 5 gallon tank to keep in my dorm room.
I'd like to keep the tank freshwater as I have no experience with salt water.

Plants have never gone well for me whenever I've tried them, I have very hard water where I live. but I'd like to try them again.
Also I'd like to have a fish or 2 but I'm unsure of which to get. I'd like something sociable with personality to interact with me but does not need a large group of other fish.
I was thinking one pea/dwarf puffer would be a cool fish. I have no problem taking time every day to feed it (frozen or live) and do water changes because I will be around the tank all the time.
I know a betta would be a good fish for the tank but I don't think its a fish I'd like to get
I will have a filter and a heater (if a heater is needed).

I am open to tips or ideas that anyone has to offer. Thank you ahead for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 03:14 PM
Algae Grower

Ifyou like you like to add a slash of color you could do cherry shrimp with neon tetras. You will need places for the shrimp to shelter. Good luck. I hope you get lots of replies. This is a great group with lots of knowledge.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmagir View Post
I'm currently trying to plan a 5 gallon tank to keep in my dorm room.
I'd like to keep the tank freshwater as I have no experience with salt water.

Plants have never gone well for me whenever I've tried them, I have very hard water where I live. but I'd like to try them again.
Also I'd like to have a fish or 2 but I'm unsure of which to get. I'd like something sociable with personality to interact with me but does not need a large group of other fish.
I was thinking one pea/dwarf puffer would be a cool fish. I have no problem taking time every day to feed it (frozen or live) and do water changes because I will be around the tank all the time.
I know a betta would be a good fish for the tank but I don't think its a fish I'd like to get
I will have a filter and a heater (if a heater is needed).

I am open to tips or ideas that anyone has to offer. Thank you ahead for any help
i would recommend guppy fishes.

they are very lively swimmers. they will make friends with other fishes in the tank and swim together. give them a stream of water from the filter and they will play in it.

new to plants in fish tank? start with lower light periods like 4-6 hours until your plant volume grows. otherwise youll be growing algae.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 04:18 PM
Algae Grower

I disagree with the above poster regarding neon tetra, they are a schooling fish and 6-10 neons in a 5g is not responsible any less than that and you will have a stressed out fish. Boraras Brigittae may be something to look into because they are smaller but still like to be in groups. Dwarf puffer/Beta is your best bet for a happy fish or Shrimp.

For plants, get some anubias, Vals, christmas/java moss they are pretty much bomb proof...the only lighting you will need is a $5 clip on lamp from walmart and a 6500k CFL bulb.
Nigel95 and Nigel95 like this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

dont know much about FW fish yet but would the puffer eat the shrimp?

I like the idea of a planted tank in the dorm make it as easy as possible to care for but enjoy as I am sure you will get very busy chasing the ladies around....er I mean studying

seams like it would be nice and relaxing to give you a few moments of computation...
good luck!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 02:15 AM
Algae Grower

If you do a pea puffer, it will be a puffer-only tank. I personally like to have shrimp and snails. I've kept a betta with ghost shrimp and Malaysian trumpet snails in the past with no issues, but depending on the betta, it might find other inhabitants to snack on.

Follow @PoPoBTC 's advice on the plants. I have a 5.5 gallon and use a Finnex StingRAY LED Clip Light. Works great and almost no algae at 8 hrs per day.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:33 PM
Algae Grower

may i ask why you dont want a betta?

my bet as far as aquaescape goes woud be a small driftwood piece with moss and anubias plant tied to it, some "big" rocks to make some emphasis in certain areas and small gravel. for plants i may add crypts and frogbit besides the others mentioned.

im also in the process of creating my own tank and it holds a similar amount of water so you can look around if you want.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/22...-riparium.html

Tags
5 gallon, freshwater

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode