1 gal aquascape, many questions - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By MattinAr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question 1 gal aquascape, many questions

Hello, I'm new to planted tanks and I have many questions. I love the examples of aquascaping I'm seen online and I'd like to try my hand at it on a really tiny scale.
I have a 1 gallon Betta tank I'd like to set as a mini aquascape. Its going to start out as only plants and hardscape. Over time I may add a few cherry shrimp and nerite snails.
So my questions are:
What are some plants that stay tiny?
How often to do water changes if only plants?
How much light? Or only low light plants?
Is co2 even a consideration in a tank this small?
Any links or help will be appreciated.
powderwt and powderwt like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Algae Grower

Here to see what is suggested to you!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Flugal Edge 6 gal.

Complete Newbie, go easy on me.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

powderwt Is there a link here?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 02:58 AM
Algae Grower

I have anubias nana petite and monte carlo in my 1 gal. Just threw some rotala stems in there to see what will happen. I do inject co2. And with cherry shrimp too. I got some small clip light on Amazon which has been working out. Some algae on my rocks but the plants seem clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 01:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
A 1 gal with a Betta really doesn't leave alot of room for aquascaping. Once you add the substrate, a rock/wood, some plants your looking at like 1/2 gal.

I would keep it really simple maybe some moss on low rocks so the Betta has enough open area. Without changes depend on alot but without a filter i would change the water a few times a week, with it I would still change the water every week. You can use co2, but on a small tank it an be dangerous if it doesn't stay stable with a fish in there.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info so far.
The tank is a corner tank, 1 gallon, I won't have a Betta in it, IMO its just too small for a Betta.
I modified the light from a 7 watt incandescent to a LED I removed from my ten gallon hood. The tank has an under gravel filter. I've added gravel and some rocks. Also added a bit of oak bark to bring the ph down from 8.2. Tap water is between 8 and 8.2 right now. I'm making a tree from some Christmas moss and I'm thinking about carpet plants. I'll post pictures once I figure out how to upload from my dang cell phone.

Last edited by MattinAr; 07-07-2017 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Remove link
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 02:10 PM
Algae Grower

Any updates? I'm about to start a 2g jarrarium and I'm looking for some inspiration.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 02:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If its exclusively for plants you might consider lowering the pH down to about 6.7. While this is not necessary I think many have said slightly acidic offers the best grow conditions. As it is only 1 gal I would suggest plants with rhizomes like anubias. They grow slowly, and because all stems come from the rhizome it is easy to control the length of the plant. Java moss, different kind of ferns, maybe even a marimo moss ball or something. All are easier plants to take care of and don't require CO2 or much fertilization. I'm not sure exactly what your tank dimensions are but an in-tank CO2 diffuser is probably too bulky. Not to say there aren't other ways to inject CO2...

Also there are many threads talking about snails not doing very well in the long term with CO2 injection. I am about to find out myself actually...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 08:03 PM
Planted Member

I'm thinking that any CO2, ferts, etc is too difficult to maintain just right with only 1gal (less with wood, substrate, etc.). Too many things can get way out of balance very quickly. I like to keep mine much more simple, and use the plants as suggested above: rhizomers, mosses, moss ball. I have one Gallon vase with pond snails only, and one with 2 RCS and pond snails. One has a tall rock, the other has some spindly wood. I have another home for the shrimp if I've guessed their genders wrong and they have babies. No fert, no Carbon, no heater, air lift sponge filter (I'm not a fan of under gravel), and weekly 20% wc. Lighting by LED 5000k desk lamp, 5hr per day. I trim plants back (mostly the moss) every 2 weeks usually. No algae, slow growth, no plant melting. All seems well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode