Getting back to planting tanks. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Getting back to planting tanks.

So I had a planted tank and it was doing well with my betta. I did a water change and took the proper steps in treating the water etc. The next day I found my betta had passed away and my plants slowly began to wilt the weeks after. So I decided to start new and I would like some feed back.

First tank:
I didn't take any before and after photos, but it is a 5.5 gallon. I have anubias, java fern and I cant remember the smaller plants name. I have had trouble finding any moss to put on the lava rock but I hope to find some soon. I have 4 zebra danios, 2 neon tetras and a bristle nose pleco in this tank.

Second tank:
It is another 5.5 gallon but I am only going to grow dwarf hairgrass in it. I think the hairgrass will look neat with just the wood sitting in the middle and provide lots of cover for my fish. I have 4 harlequin rasbosas, five black neons and an oto in here.

I change the water every 4 days, I cycle in a water clarifier, slime and stress coat and dechlorinator. I check ammonia and it hardly spikes, and ph levels. I have root fert tabs and I dose with a co2 boost daily. The only issue I am seeing is a slime that has popped up on my drift wood in the first tank. I cant seem to get rid of all of it.
Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Please please please please PLEASE tell me that your 5.5 gallon tanks are actually 55 gallons and there is a typo in your post and just really large fish. Please. Otherwise, your tanks are all incredibly overstocked. Most if not all of those fish are unsuited for anything less than a 10 at the very least. Zebras really need a 15 gallon or more due to how active they are. Harlequins Neons, and Black Neons(yes they are different species) need a 10 gallon. Bristlenoses need a 29 gallon. Along with that, a lot of those fish need at least 6 or more of their own species (the danios, harlequins and neons) due to their shoaling/schooling nature. Just because your ammonia levels never spike, doesn't say anything about the actual ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels (ppm) in your tank, nor the actual stress the fish are under due to lack of space within the tank. How much water are you changing every 4 days?

The slime's probably a fungus, it'll go away eventually.

So many fish to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have 2, 20 gallon tanks they are in. But I do 25% water changes and I clean the gravel regularly. I havent had time to plant them and the 5.5 gallons are now used to house the fish when I clean the bigger tanks. I am actually selling the two 20 gallon tanks and getting a 55 gallon long tank. I did only make the smaller tanks nursery and quarantine tanks for new fish till they are aclimated to the water we have.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode