Fontanus/min pellia DSM, to abort or not? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By aotf
  • 2 Post By aotf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fontanus/min pellia DSM, to abort or not?

I have a tiny 1 gal @shaman. inspired tank I'm currently dry-starting with fontanus fox, mini pellia, and utricularia graminifolia using the yogurt/paintbrush method. I'm getting through the 3rd week of misting twice a day and I'm seeing a little bit of growth with the mini pellia.

My problem is that I'll be leaving town for 5 days over the 4th of July weekend with no one to spray the tank for me.
I'm concerned that there will be time for everything to dry out and die (my highest rocks already dry out a bit after ~12 hours with a tight cling wrap seal over the tank). I could flood it before leaving but 3 weeks seems like a short DSM period for slow-growing mosses and I don't want everything to just float off my hardscape.

Anyone have experience with how long these mosses take to DSM? Or how hardy they are to drying out?
I don't know what I should be doing, I'm scared that both options will be disastrous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 05:36 PM
Algae Grower

If it's only 1 gal, can you take it with you?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 07:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Shaman. recommends about two weeks before flooding so you should probably be fine!

Nice project in the near future I am going to use this method to with mini pellia and fissidens

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riekk View Post
If it's only 1 gal, can you take it with you?
That's actually pretty funny (and a strangely practical idea). I'm going to be camping, though, so temperature control and access to electricity will be problematic. Also, not smashing it in the car with everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel95 View Post
Shaman. recommends about two weeks before flooding so you should probably be fine!

Nice project in the near future I am going to use this method to with mini pellia and fissidens
That's true, I've seen others (I think Tom Barr? I don't remember) recommend anything between 3-6 weeks, which is why I'm nervous about it. But since I'm basically replicating shaman.'s protocol, I can probably just use his wait period.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:46 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotf View Post
That's actually pretty funny (and a strangely practical idea). I'm going to be camping, though, so temperature control and access to electricity will be problematic. Also, not smashing it in the car with everything else.
Oh, yeah, I was thinking if you were going to visit family or something. That'd be an incredibly awkward and boarding embarrassing thing to take on a camping trip, though the natural sunlight wouldn't be a bad thing.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riekk View Post
Oh, yeah, I was thinking if you were going to visit family or something. That'd be an incredibly awkward and boarding embarrassing thing to take on a camping trip, though the natural sunlight wouldn't be a bad thing.
I'm going car camping but I have this great mental image of going backpacking with a 1 gal strapped to the top of the pack. Gotta walk real carefully not to mess up the hardscape!
Riekk and Riekk like this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 10:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aotf View Post
I have a tiny 1 gal @shaman. inspired tank I'm currently dry-starting with fontanus fox, mini pellia, and utricularia graminifolia using the yogurt/paintbrush method. I'm getting through the 3rd week of misting twice a day and I'm seeing a little bit of growth with the mini pellia.

My problem is that I'll be leaving town for 5 days over the 4th of July weekend with no one to spray the tank for me.
I'm concerned that there will be time for everything to dry out and die (my highest rocks already dry out a bit after ~12 hours with a tight cling wrap seal over the tank). I could flood it before leaving but 3 weeks seems like a short DSM period for slow-growing mosses and I don't want everything to just float off my hardscape.

Anyone have experience with how long these mosses take to DSM? Or how hardy they are to drying out?
I don't know what I should be doing, I'm scared that both options will be disastrous.
Take a clear plastic bag big enough for the rock. Put the rock inside and with a small amount of water in the bottom slip an air line in with or without a stone and seal the bag around the airline (ziptie, tape etc.) Then poke a few holes in the top, enough to vent but not to deflate. Nice stable humid environment with fresh air. The water in the bottom will slowly evaporate keeping the humidity up.

Added: Call it Fontanus/min pellia ala bag!

Dan
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
Take a clear plastic bag big enough for the rock.
That's a good idea but I can't move anything in the tank. I precariously balanced a bunch of rocks on each other then painted on the moss so pulling anything out would mean entirely redoing the scape.
The mini pellia is smeared on the rocks, the fissidens is placed in the cracks between them, and the utricularia is planted in the Amazonia in the background.

Here are a couple ugly pictures from day 1 (all recent pictures have so much condensation you can't see what's going on):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6588.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	768321  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6589.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	768329  

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 11:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

I personally don't like to keep things completely sealed for DSM but I won't get into that. Looks like you have enough humidity in there that it would not be an issue. I guess you could cut up some sponges into almost shaved type pieces (almost like sponge paste lol) or use filter floss to place against the rock around where the plants are and spray them down right before you leave if your really worried.

Dan
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
I personally don't like to keep things completely sealed for DSM but I won't get into that. Looks like you have enough humidity in there that it would not be an issue. I guess you could cut up some sponges into almost shaved type pieces (almost like sponge paste lol) or use filter floss to place against the rock around where the plants are and spray them down right before you leave if your really worried.

Dan
That's a good call, as long as I don't block off too much light I think it'll work out (and even if I do, the moss will probably be ok for a couple days). I could even just put bits of soaked paper towel and probably get the same effect. Thanks!

The only reason it's super sealed is that the rock at the top tends to dry out really quickly. Everything else stays damp. I'd rather leave a corner open for gas exchange but I'm worried I would just kill the stuff that's up top. \_(ツ)_/
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode