• 2 Post By Roshan8768
  • 2 Post By sfsamm
  • 2 Post By houseofcards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
HC Cuba Carpet depth...?

Hi all, I'm somewhat novice in the world of planted aquariums and have a bad habit of learning things hard way. I've managed to grow some decent HC Cuba and Riccia. The Riccia grows and then gets too buoyant and rips away, which I'm now aware of. I'm concerned the carpet of HC Cuba is going to do the same. I trim weekly but is there a recommended depth? As you can see from the images it's almost 2 inches deep and I fear it's going to tear away somehow. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
This is a hard one.. it definitely will start dying off underneath and float away if you don't do anything to intervene. I don't think you should do a hard trim (leaving less than 1/2") unless you are running some quality CO2. With the current state I would trim it down to an inch or so every week to encourage it to develop more side shoots, and then eventually you can start making the carpet shorter if you so desire. If I were you I would try different lengths of trim on different areas of your carpet so you don't lose the whole thing if you make a mistake... once you know which approach works best you can apply it to the whole carpet. Hope that helps...

My 20 Gallon Low Tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

35 Gallon Kettle Pond

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twin 2.5 Gallon Nanos

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan8768 View Post
This is a hard one.. it definitely will start dying off underneath and float away if you don't do anything to intervene. I don't think you should do a hard trim (leaving less than 1/2") unless you are running some quality CO2. With the current state I would trim it down to an inch or so every week to encourage it to develop more side shoots, and then eventually you can start making the carpet shorter if you so desire. If I were you I would try different lengths of trim on different areas of your carpet so you don't lose the whole thing if you make a mistake... once you know which approach works best you can apply it to the whole carpet. Hope that helps...

Great advice - I'll try some different trim depths and see how it goes.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 02:48 AM
Planted Member

I'm no expert. I actually juuuuuuust yesterday planted Cuba and Riccia in my shrimp tank for my first attempt at them. I was warned to be sure to keep the Cuba trimmed as if it gets to shaded at the root it dies off..... I have no good advice for sure though as I said I just put mine down yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
The HC isn't as likely to 'float away' since Riccia is a floating plant by nature and it doesn't have any roots. That being said that does look rather tall for HC. How is your lighting?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 03:26 AM
Algae Grower

Yea, is that really HC, the leaves look different.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
The HC isn't as likely to 'float away' since Riccia is a floating plant by nature and it doesn't have any roots. That being said that does look rather tall for HC. How is your lighting?

Lighting seems to be ok. I originally had 2 sets of led lights but had bubbles pearling everywhere and too much algae so I've dropped it back to a single 30w led and it still seems to get good weekly growth without as much algae.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizinhell View Post
Yea, is that really HC, the leaves look different.

I agree, from the side with the tall growth it looks strange. From the top it looks more familiar with the small round leaves.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 05:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
i never allow my carpet to get thicker than 1" for the same reason, fear of it floating up.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnalp View Post
i never allow my carpet to get thicker than 1" for the same reason, fear of it floating up.

Thank for the feedback- I'll try for 1 inch, too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode