• 2 Post By Roshan8768
  • 2 Post By richie_brave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
[help] with replanting a pico aquascape

hi,
i have a pico aquascape that only 10 weeks old (count from dry start)
i use magic seed that i purchase online.. after a few trims.. some of the lease start to turn darker color and abit transparant...
and today when i try to trim it.. a bunch of it just came off so easily..
i heard that with magic seed its a fast way to get a carpet plant but also a fast way die?
like they have short lifespan..

so my question are i wonder if i want to replant it all all over with different type of plants,
1. can i just pull off all the magic plant (that i presume glosso) and just put another plants?
2. can i reuse the soil ?
3. how bout the livestock currently i only have shrimps in it, do i need to transfer them to other places?
4. any recommendation of nice easy carpet plant?
Roshan8768 and Roshan8768 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_brave View Post
hi,
i have a pico aquascape that only 10 weeks old (count from dry start)
i use magic seed that i purchase online.. after a few trims.. some of the lease start to turn darker color and abit transparant...
and today when i try to trim it.. a bunch of it just came off so easily..
i heard that with magic seed its a fast way to get a carpet plant but also a fast way die?
like they have short lifespan..

so my question are i wonder if i want to replant it all all over with different type of plants,
1. can i just pull off all the magic plant (that i presume glosso) and just put another plants?
2. can i reuse the soil ?
3. how bout the livestock currently i only have shrimps in it, do i need to transfer them to other places?
4. any recommendation of nice easy carpet plant?
Usually the "magic seed" is actually hygrophila polysperma - a stem plant that doesn't carpet at all (it is just in its juvenile/grow out phase at first.)
What is your substrate? You should be able to reuse it
Yes, what is your filtration for this tank? The tank will most likely experience a mini cycle when you pull out all the established tank mass and stir up the substrate. I would find a bucket or plastic tote that the shrimp can hang out in for a week or two.. just run the filter on this container and use the original tank water.

There is no truly easy carpet plant (that looks super nice and hugs the substrate) lol, especially without CO2. I prefer microsword or dwarf hairgrass personally... I know that other would say Glosso, MC, or maybe even Marsilea
richie_brave and richie_brave like this.

My 20 Gallon Low Tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

35 Gallon Kettle Pond

Twin 2.5 Gallon Nanos

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan8768 View Post
Usually the "magic seed" is actually hygrophila polysperma - a stem plant that doesn't carpet at all (it is just in its juvenile/grow out phase at first.)
What is your substrate? You should be able to reuse it
Yes, what is your filtration for this tank? The tank will most likely experience a mini cycle when you pull out all the established tank mass and stir up the substrate. I would find a bucket or plastic tote that the shrimp can hang out in for a week or two.. just run the filter on this container and use the original tank water.

There is no truly easy carpet plant (that looks super nice and hugs the substrate) lol, especially without CO2. I prefer microsword or dwarf hairgrass personally... I know that other would say Glosso, MC, or maybe even Marsilea
i use amazonia substrate.
with no filtration.. its only like 0.5 or 0.75 gal tank..
so i need to move the livestock.. hmmm
yea i dont use co2 in this tank..
mocrosword eh? hmm okay.. how bout monte carlo? is it ok? i just want a short low tech carpet plant..

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
i use amazonia substrate.
with no filtration.. its only like 0.5 or 0.75 gal tank..
so i need to move the livestock.. hmmm
yea i dont use co2 in this tank..
mocrosword eh? hmm okay.. how bout monte carlo? is it ok? i just want a short low tech carpet plant..
Amazonia complicates things significantly.... there will be a lot of ammonia released in the process of uprooting and replanting. If it is such a small tank how many shrimp do you have in here without filtration? Do you have a larger tank they could go in temporarily?

Once again there is no such thing as an easy short low tech carpet plant... that is a contradiction. You need high light (and subsequently CO2 to prevent algae) to keep the plants short (not reaching for light.) MC or glosso are not guaranteed and will take a while to fill in if they work at all, and will be the closest you can get in your set up. Dwarf hair grass and micro sword will be taller (1.5" -2") but much more reliable and bullet proof

My 20 Gallon Low Tech

35 Gallon Kettle Pond

Twin 2.5 Gallon Nanos

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Amazonia complicates things significantly.... there will be a lot of ammonia released in the process of uprooting and replanting. If it is such a small tank how many shrimp do you have in here without filtration? Do you have a larger tank they could go in temporarily?

Once again there is no such thing as an easy short low tech carpet plant... that is a contradiction. You need high light (and subsequently CO2 to prevent algae) to keep the plants short (not reaching for light.) MC or glosso are not guaranteed and will take a while to fill in if they work at all, and will be the closest you can get in your set up. Dwarf hair grass and micro sword will be taller (1.5" -2") but much more reliable and bullet proof
curently i have 6 shrimps in it..
that is the only tank i got..
so i gotta find 1 temporary place for the shrimp...

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
curently i have 6 shrimps in it..
that is the only tank i got..
so i gotta find 1 temporary place for the shrimp...
Yup... keep them in the original tank water in whatever container you use... it doesnt have to be big. If you can get some kind of floating plant to help suck up nutrients and give them something to graze on they will probably all make it. I would use hornwort, guppy grass or duckweed

My 20 Gallon Low Tech

35 Gallon Kettle Pond

Twin 2.5 Gallon Nanos

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Yup... keep them in the original tank water in whatever container you use... it doesnt have to be big. If you can get some kind of floating plant to help suck up nutrients and give them something to graze on they will probably all make it. I would use hornwort, guppy grass or duckweed
okay i got phoenix moss that i havent attach to anthing yet..

about the carpet plant.. if i use hair grass is it okay if i cut it short like 1 - 1 1/2 cm height?
any other recommendation for the carpet plant?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
okay i got phoenix moss that i havent attach to anthing yet..

about the carpet plant.. if i use hair grass is it okay if i cut it short like 1 - 1 1/2 cm height?
any other recommendation for the carpet plant?
Moss should work very well for the shrimp temporarily. No you cannot trim hair grass... IME it turns brown and dies if you cut it unless you have CO2 running. Nope, I listed all the viable options already, there aren't that many species that stay as low/tight as you are desiring

My 20 Gallon Low Tech

35 Gallon Kettle Pond

Twin 2.5 Gallon Nanos

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Moss should work very well for the shrimp temporarily. No you cannot trim hair grass... IME it turns brown and dies if you cut it unless you have CO2 running. Nope, I listed all the viable options already, there aren't that many species that stay as low/tight as you are desiring
oh okay... thanks for the suggestion...
will look at LFS at my town..
lets see what can i get..
Roshan8768 and Roshan8768 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode