My new 15G Fluval Flex Blackwater Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking My new 15G Fluval Flex Blackwater Tank

Hey Gang,

After a hiatus from fishkeeping I decided to get back into it with a small freshwater tank. I really like Indian Almond Leaves and driftwood so I decided to go for a blackwater tank setup. This tank has been up and running for about a month now.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...JyS1piNmhsX3BV

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...g2SjBTMEV4SThJ

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...FaQVNBOUVpU0FV

The tank currently has:
Neon Tetra x7
Jubii Cory x2
Painted Platy x3
Yellow Lab
Auratus

For Plants it has:
Java Fern x3 (anchored in substrate)
Anubias x5 (4 of them from the cheap "betta bulbs"
Java Moss in substrate hoping to grow out as carpet and on driftwood tree
2x pieces of malaysian driftwood
1 piece of driftwood cut and glued to look like a tree with Java moss attached
A dozen or so Indian Almost Leaves spread along tank and piled up in the back to block lower return portholes which are small enough for tetras to swim through and get stick in back of tank

Substrate is just basic petco gravel nothing special

Lighting and flow is stock what came with the tank

For Filtration I am not running carbon, just peat and bio rings.

No Co2 but am running seachem flourish, flourish advance, flourish excel and flourish tabs for the plants.

I love the Fluval Flex 15G tank. With the filter compartment in the back there are no wires, thermometers, lines, pumps or ANYTHING in the viewing part of the tank (just small return valve which is hard to see). I also really like the lighting. It has different colors and effects. I am running the green color and white LED's all maxed out for now as I want to get that Java moss going. I want to get a nice moss carpet and get the moss on that tree growing better so I can trim and shape it. I am also considering a 3d background, but not sure if I will need it due to all the plants and the black background does help with the whole "blackwater" thing. There are 2 things that I am not crazy about with this tank. First, as I mentioned above the intake holes are way to large and so I used indian almond leaves to block the opening, which are held in place by one of the pieces of driftwood. Secondly the flow is not adjustable and may be a little intense. Other then that this tank is awesome.

Anyway, this is my first blackwater tank. I had a 90 gal FOWLR setup before previously but that was too time consuming and was (sloppily) DIY so picked this project as something less time consuming but still fun. I have been doing 10% water changes every day but now that I got my nitrite spike and now nitrate is forming I can go to a weekly schedule. I'm using the tetra strips so take my readings with a grain of salt but here they are:

Nitrate - 5ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
GH - 30 ppm
Chlorine - 0 ppm
KH - 0 ppm
PH - 6.8 (this just jumped, was closer to 6.2)

This is my first blackwater tank and its still a bit new so when things are established more and I can turn down the light it will look darker. For now the water is tea colored. Let me know what you think, do you have suggestions on how I can improve the tank? Thanks for reading, this is my first post on this forum by the way.

Tags
blackwater, driftwood, fluval flex, moss, planted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode