Fluval spec V project - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By klinger988

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval spec V project

Hi everyone, I am looking to start a Iwagumai style tank and had a few questions before I got started (learned my lesson from my first planted tank to not just rush into things....):

1. I want to grow a carpet with DHG, monte carlo, cuba or pearlweed (other suggestions?) I am assuming that DBT is out of the question without injected CO2? I plan on just using excel and thrive as additives. No plans for injected CO2 at this time.

2. Is the "new light" (70000K, 10W, 821 lumens) good enough for the above plan? Can it be set to a timer? If it isn't bright enough one option I was thinking about would be getting the Fluval evo V (designed for a reef tank) that has a 11000K light (tank is ~$20 more).

3. What substrate would you recommend? I read the huge substrate post but it seems like there are so many options that I actually have no clue what would be best for basically only a carpet plant set up.

4. What heater will fit well in the pump compartment?

Any and all suggestions and thoughts appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you can afford it aquasoil or controsoil are hard to beat substrate wise. Not familiar with that light, but from what I have seen on Fluval Specs before it generally has not been powerful enough for anything other than mosses, anubias and java fern. You also generally want to stay away from the marine spectrum as it tends to wash out the plant's warm colors. What are you planning on stocking that will require a heater?

I have a pseudo DHG carpet going in what are very low tech conditions, take a look at my thread if you want a better idea of what can be accomplished without CO2.

My 20 Gallon Low Tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

35 Gallon Kettle Pond

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twin 2.5 Gallon Nanos

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow your tank is amazing! I didn't even think of not using a heater, I guess it was more of a reflex for "tropical fish". I haven't picked specific fish yet although will likely use small tetras, guppies or rasboras with some shrimp. I actually just picked up the tank today from Petsmart for only $52 (new model) so I might have some extra room to upgrade light if needed. Its a bit confusing because the box lists it as only 7.4W but fluvals web page says its 10W. Not sure they even know what it is..... For what its worth I did see a youtube video of a Spev V with stock light (new version) successfully growing DBT with CO2 injection. After reading a bit more might give the DIY citric acid CO2 a try as it seems a reasonable expense for a small tank. Currently trying to find the right rocks and have only found zebra stone and dragon stone so far, still looking for some more traditional "gray rock" although I think the zebra or dragon stone could work if necessary. Thanks for the suggestion for aquasoil. They sell a powder version that should work well. Only thing I can find locally is CaribSea ecocomplete so I will probably have to buy it online.
Roshan8768 and Roshan8768 like this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 09:52 PM
Algae Grower

Light is fine. I did 2 6500k cfls with diy c02 (yeast reactor) and my dhg looked like this. (Blank spot in back left is where i removed the pygmy chain sword)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by thanatopsian; 06-14-2017 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Typo
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klinger988 View Post
Wow your tank is amazing! I didn't even think of not using a heater, I guess it was more of a reflex for "tropical fish". I haven't picked specific fish yet although will likely use small tetras, guppies or rasboras with some shrimp. I actually just picked up the tank today from Petsmart for only $52 (new model) so I might have some extra room to upgrade light if needed. Its a bit confusing because the box lists it as only 7.4W but fluvals web page says its 10W. Not sure they even know what it is..... For what its worth I did see a youtube video of a Spev V with stock light (new version) successfully growing DBT with CO2 injection. After reading a bit more might give the DIY citric acid CO2 a try as it seems a reasonable expense for a small tank. Currently trying to find the right rocks and have only found zebra stone and dragon stone so far, still looking for some more traditional "gray rock" although I think the zebra or dragon stone could work if necessary. Thanks for the suggestion for aquasoil. They sell a powder version that should work well. Only thing I can find locally is CaribSea ecocomplete so I will probably have to buy it online.
Amazon periodically has some deals on aquasoil so keep an eye out for that ($10 off). Any of the new microrasboras would look really nice in there! Seiryu or Ryuoh stone is what you are looking for if you want grey stones. Hit up Houston Manzanita on Facebook if you are on there, I know the guy personally and he sells quality hardscape shipped for pretty cheap!

My 20 Gallon Low Tech

35 Gallon Kettle Pond

Twin 2.5 Gallon Nanos

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode