1.5g & 2.5g planted nano tanks(I don't have Testing Kits) - The Planted Tank Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post 1.5g & 2.5g planted nano tanks(I don't have Testing Kits)

Hello,

So I've had those 2 small tanks just sitting in the store room for a very long time. I decided to do some aquascaping in it.
One has a fully grown carpet, the other one is still taking time.

Anyways, now my question is.
I have no testing kits to test the water parameters, I've ordered one from Amazon, and it'll take atleast 10 days till I receive it. mean while how do I take care of these aquariums without the plants dying on me, also I think it wouldn't be recommended to add any fishes to the tanks at the moment till I get the testing kits and make sure that the water cycling has completed right?

Plan is to add 4~5 shrimps and 1 betta in each tank.

cruiserian and cruiserian like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Omar EAZi; 06-08-2017 at 07:22 PM. Reason: adding the signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 07:47 PM
Algae Grower

Betta + shrimps is not a very successful combination for most tanks as Bettas (except for those really rare examples) usually treat the shrimps as snacks.

IMO the ideal would be to keep a Betta in the 2.5g (if you can be at top of water quality maintenance), and some shrimps in the 1.5g.
Omar EAZi and Omar EAZi like this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrayan View Post
Betta + shrimps is not a very successful combination for most tanks as Bettas (except for those really rare examples) usually treat the shrimps as snacks.

IMO the ideal would be to keep a Betta in the 2.5g (if you can be at top of water quality maintenance), and some shrimps in the 1.5g.
Oh Okay, thanks for the input, didn't know the bettas would treat the shrimps like that, thought they only attack other bettas.
so for the 1.5g tank, only shrimps?! no fish at all would be compatible for this size of tank at all?!

Bump: Some big water changes for the first 2~3 days, and then atleast 20% water changes every 2nd day till I get the API master freshwater kit delivered and test the parameters and add the livestock.(not much of a stock can go in these tanks anyways).

[IMG][/IMG]

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 08:22 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually I wouldn't put fish in both tanks... They're just too small.

- 120x48x60 cm

- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 08:33 PM
Algae Grower

I think you could start a pretty cool shrimp colony - not a lot of options when it comes to fish, but at least you are asking the question and not just dumping a goldfish in there. Here are a couple neat nano fish about .5 inches - 1 inch long, I do not recommend keeping them in the 1.5 gallon but if you watch your water parameters 2.5 could be okay.

you need at least 5:
Micro Glassfish (Danionella translucida)
Exclamation-Point Rasbora (Boraras uropthalmoides)
Dwarf Amber Barb (Barboides gracilis)
Strawberry Rasbora (Boraras naevus)
Phoenix Rasbora (Boraras merah)
Chili Rasbora (Boraras brigittae)
Golden Rasbora (Horadandia atukorali)

recognize the OODA loop within everything you do
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
IMO if your going to go with fish, just get a betta for 2.5G. Just don't over scape with alot of decorations, etc. Those micro fish although proportionally sound like a better way to go are much more difficult to keep and parameters in small tanks change very rapidly which spells doom for most fish. Bettas are more tolerant.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 08:53 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
IMO if your going to go with fish, just get a betta for 2.5G. Just don't over scape with alot of decorations, etc. Those micro fish although proportionally sound like a better way to go are much more difficult to keep and parameters in small tanks change very rapidly which spells doom for most fish. Bettas are more tolerant.
+1 Don't overdo the decor or hardscape, it will take up too much room. And yes even though it is possible to keep the fish alive and healthy (even happy) one slip on a water change or too much food and it won't work out. Betta is the best option overall.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrayan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf2Frankie View Post
I think you could start a pretty cool shrimp colony - not a lot of options when it comes to fish, but at least you are asking the question and not just dumping a goldfish in there. Here are a couple neat nano fish about .5 inches - 1 inch long, I do not recommend keeping them in the 1.5 gallon but if you watch your water parameters 2.5 could be okay.

you need at least 5:
Micro Glassfish (Danionella translucida)
Exclamation-Point Rasbora (Boraras uropthalmoides)
Dwarf Amber Barb (Barboides gracilis)
Strawberry Rasbora (Boraras naevus)
Phoenix Rasbora (Boraras merah)
Chili Rasbora (Boraras brigittae)
Golden Rasbora (Horadandia atukorali)
If I was able to find any of these then I'll get 5 of 'em and put them in the tank. if not then just 1 beta in 2.5g and like 5~6 shrimps in the 1.5g and that's it.
I'm making 2 new tanks soon.. 1 is being custom made with the cabinet(95g), and 1 I bought from a friend who's keeping it to store groceries and stuff lol (55g).
I'll put fishes in them since I want fishes so bad, and I'll keep those 2 simple.

thanks for all the replies guys.

Bump:
Quote:
+1 Don't overdo the decor or hardscape, it will take up too much room. And yes even though it is possible to keep the fish alive and healthy (even happy) one slip on a water change or too much food and it won't work out. Betta is the best option overall.
I guess beta fish it is, but I heard in nano tanks, when you have lot of plants around, in my case I'll have a full carpet, a java moss tree, and some medium sized red plant(forgot the name lol).
I heard having lot of plants will help keeping the water more stable even without weekly water changes?!.
I saw a video on youtube with a guy having a nano tank and he's like he haven't done water changes in 6 months, but the amount of plants in the tank is keeping it stable. he does top ups every now and then only.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 09:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Another thing with open top nanos and fish are the ability for fish to jump out......

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar EAZi View Post
I saw a video on youtube with a guy having a nano tank and he's like he haven't done water changes in 6 months, but the amount of plants in the tank is keeping it stable. he does top ups every now and then only.
Don't go by someone's video. Long term something will get out of wack in a nano, and the change will happen very quickly. It's more than plants eating ammonia it's quick temp changes, co2, overdosing something, etc. It doesn't mean people don't do it, but it's much more likely you won't keep up with it long-term and there is no wiggle room in a 1-2G setup.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 09:15 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar EAZi View Post
If I was able to find any of these then I'll get 5 of 'em and put them in the tank. if not then just 1 beta in 2.5g and like 5~6 shrimps in the 1.5g and that's it.
I'm making 2 new tanks soon.. 1 is being custom made with the cabinet(95g), and 1 I bought from a friend who's keeping it to store groceries and stuff lol (55g).
I'll put fishes in them since I want fishes so bad, and I'll keep those 2 simple.

thanks for all the replies guys.

Bump:

I guess beta fish it is, but I heard in nano tanks, when you have lot of plants around, in my case I'll have a full carpet, a java moss tree, and some medium sized red plant(forgot the name lol).
I heard having lot of plants will help keeping the water more stable even without weekly water changes?!.

Like I said, it's definitely possible. A heavily planted tank will keep the parameters more stable so you can push the limits, you just have to realize you are still only working with 2.5 gallons. @shaman. has successfully kept way more than 5 of the micro rasbora in a 1 gallon - at the same time, he obviously has the experience to do so. Maybe the fish are cramped, maybe not.

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Like I said, it's definitely possible. A heavily planted tank will keep the parameters more stable so you can push the limits, you just have to realize you are still only working with 2.5 gallons. @shaman. has successfully kept way more than 5 of the micro rasbora in a 1 gallon - at the same time, he obviously has the experience to do so. Maybe the fish are cramped, maybe not.
I'm not sure if he keeps it long term. Many scapers take a "money shot" and the tank comes down not long after. When you see really nice scapes from contests, etc. and the fish are schooling tightly it's because they were just thrown in for the money shot.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 09:34 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I'm not sure if he keeps it long term. Many scapers take a "money shot" and the tank comes down not long after. When you see really nice scapes from contests, etc. and the fish are schooling tightly it's because they were just thrown in for the money shot.
Absolutely could be true. This guy bred several small fish in jars/bowls.Best Fish for Bowls, Beyond Goldfish and Bettas - I'm not sure I would every try what he did, but hey for him it worked out. When fish are comfortable enough to breed does this mean they are happy? no clue

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

With all that being said, in an effort of full disclosure I do have a betta in a 1.5G. You could see it here. The betta is in the 4th and 7th pictures.

I am currently preparing a 3.5G Mini S for him so it's not long-term.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 10:41 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
With all that being said, in an effort of full disclosure I do have a betta in a 1.5G. You could see it here. The betta is in the 4th and 7th pictures.

I am currently preparing a 3.5G Mini S for him so it's not long-term.

Subbed to that a while back, it's awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Subbed to that a while back, it's awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks, he did actually jump out once and I was lucky enough to find him under my dresser, completely covered in dust. I don't know how long he was out, but he survived and looks perfect again. I now have a cover over the nano.

Tags
#bettas #aquascaping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode