2Likes
  • 2 Post By Aqua99
  • 2 Post By JJBTEXAS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Need Small Canister for Nano Tank Recommendations

I'm working on setting up a new Ultum 30c and would like to use Lily pipes and a hidden canister. It needs to fit in a 13" cubed space to match existing furniture. Does anyone have any recommendations for a filter that would be good for a 7.1 gallon tank and uses 12/16mm tubing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	763073  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 07:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am using Finnex PX-360 with my 4.4gal tank. It uses 12mm ID tubing. I have installed some extra valves so I can control water flow and I use the spraybar that came with it and acrylic intake pipe I got elsewhere.
I also replaced the media with my own bio-balls, water polishing foam and carbon/de-nitrate mix.

It is very quiet and works perfectly in an office setting.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 07:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
SunSun 602.
I run one on a 7g cube.
I can measure my cabinet when I get home and let you know about fit.
It's hard to find a good small cannister. I wanted the small Eheim but it was too tall.

No sense of style, just growing.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xDEADBEEF View Post
I am using Finnex PX-360 with my 4.4gal tank. It uses 12mm ID tubing. I have installed some extra valves so I can control water flow and I use the spraybar that came with it and acrylic intake pipe I got elsewhere.
I also replaced the media with my own bio-balls, water polishing foam and carbon/de-nitrate mix.

It is very quiet and works perfectly in an office setting.
Thanks, I will look into that one.

edit: I did some research and it looks like Finnex just rebrands the Azoo External Power Filter. Found them online for under $35 so I might just give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenziedpace View Post
SunSun 602.
I run one on a 7g cube.
I can measure my cabinet when I get home and let you know about fit.
It's hard to find a good small cannister. I wanted the small Eheim but it was too tall.
I too was looking at the Eheims but I'm not sure the 2211 or 2232 will fit. once the tubing is installed. Thanks for checking your cabinet for me!

Last edited by JJBTEXAS; 06-07-2017 at 07:51 PM. Reason: see edit note
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBTEXAS View Post
I too was looking at the Eheims but I'm not sure the 2211 or 2232 will fit. once the tubing is installed. Thanks for checking your cabinet for me!
The 2211 requires approx 11.5" from the base to the output (keeping a gentle sweep at the top tube and not forcing it down). I have several of them on various nanos and love them, compared to a few other brands I've used. The one I have on my 6g also runs through a reactor and is still throttled back roughly 50%, leaving me plenty of overhead if needed.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua99 View Post
The 2211 requires approx 11.5" from the base to the output (keeping a gentle sweep at the top tube and not forcing it down). I have several of them on various nanos and love them, compared to a few other brands I've used. The one I have on my 6g also runs through a reactor and is still throttled back roughly 50%, leaving me plenty of overhead if needed.
are the inlet and the outlet of the 2211 both 12/16mm? I thought I read that the inlet was smaller for some reason.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 10:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua99 View Post
Good to know I may switch to this in the future.

My cabinet is 13.5" and there's plenty of room for the Sunsun.

I would go for that Eheim though if that works for you JJB.

No sense of style, just growing.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBTEXAS View Post
are the inlet and the outlet of the 2211 both 12/16mm? I thought I read that the inlet was smaller for some reason.
Oh yeah, sorry, the outlet is 9/12. I just use a $2 brass pex tubing adapter (1/2x3/4) to step it up to the 12/16.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the help guys!!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenziedpace View Post
Good to know I may switch to this in the future.

My cabinet is 13.5" and there's plenty of room for the Sunsun.

I would go for that Eheim though if that works for you JJB.
I ran a 602 for quite a while and it's a good value for the money. There were just a few little things that bothered me (like the fact that it flows top to bottom instead of bottom to top through the canister like my eheims). After I tried my first little 2211, I quickly found myself scouring websites looking for deals on more. Pricey but they've been a pleasure so far.
frenziedpace and frenziedpace like this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I purchased a ADA 30c off craigslist that came with an Ehiem 2213. I hadn't had an Eheim classic and a while and was shocked at how much I don't like this thing compared to the Fluval 206s I run on my other tanks. So I decided to order the AZOO External Power Filter.

I've been happy with other AZOO products I've tried so I thought I'd give this a chance. It's the same filter Finnex sells as the PX-360 and SHIRUBA as the XB-303. I bought mine for $33 shipped. I will keep this post updated ob how the AZOO works out.
frenziedpace and frenziedpace like this.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The AZOO external power filter has worked out really well so far. I have it sitting on the shelf below the tank which leaves about 2 feet between the bottom of the filter and the top of the tank. I adapted mine to stainless inlet and outlet pipes and it hap sufficient flow for the tank. So far, I would say this filter would do just fine on any tank up to a 20g, but would limit it to 10 if placing it below the tank like I have. I don't think it would work well at all if I had put it on the bottom shelf (3ft).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode