2Likes
  • 2 Post By .boogphįh.
  • 2 Post By .boogphįh.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send it~boog's 45u

Its been about 6 years since I have gotten my arms wet in a tank of my own, and hours ago as I am sitting on my couch recovering from a hernia operation I decided in an instant, ITS TIME! I did a little research on what exactly I wanted to do and now Im going for it! The difference this time around being, I can afford what I need(ok maybe what I want)... Anyways, here is whats going down.. I just placed an order with Buceplant.com, and I have to say my experience with them thus far has been very positive, any questions I had were answered in minutes and I was even able to get some scaping materials that they did not have listed on their site. Here is what I am anxiously awaiting:

Tank
Ultum Nature Systems 45U 9.3gal 17.71"x 11.02"x11.02"

Lighting
Twinstar 450E LED

Filtration
azoo Mignon 360 (95/gph)
got this to start but know I will be buying a canister soon

CO2
UNS Nature Bottle (should last 60 days)
I have a co2 tank but need to get new gear to run it safely

Nutrients
UNS Plant Food 1-part system

Substrate
Contro Soil Extra Fine (1mm)
contemplating a base of ADA Tourmaline BC and ADA Power Sand Special S in the back of my scape to promote more micro life

The hardscape will be all Okho stone

Flora
All flora I have ordered thus far is from Tissue Culture to ensure sterility
HC 'cuba'
Dwarf Hair Grass
Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'
Lilaeopsis Novaezelandiae/ micro sword
Staurogyne Repens

plants to be later added will include different red/orange varieties of Ludwigia and Rotala. Not certain yet

Fauna
Still up in the air but here is a quick thought
Celestial Pearl Danios
Oto Cats
Amano shrimp
crystal red or cherry shrimp

So far What I am planning is to Dry start the tank as soon as I get it, from what I understand this should essentially cycle the tank or get rid of the need to do so. When I am feeling ready to fill( about 4 to 6 weeks) I will get together my submersed plants get those in and add fauna the following week. As I said first thing, I am jumping back in with much excitement and enthusiasm after a long hiatus, but I used to research everything very thoroughly and although I may be rusty, I have a rough grasp on things. Before jumping in however I thought it would be within my best interest to get some feedback from some professionals/enthusiasts about my plan of attack. So What do ya'll think? Should I amend the substrate further? Should my order of operations be any different? Is the dry start the way to go? Other suggestions for optimum plant growth? This time around its all about the plants I want them to explode. Any and all feedback is appreciated and I will be posting pictures as things arrive and I start to set up. I am beyond stoked to get back into this Art of Science!

Cheers.
thatgmc and thatgmc like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 10:09 PM
Algae Grower

I kept a "planted" 40g tank about 5 years ago and now I'm 6 weeks post-flood after a 5 week dry start of a Spec V.

I'm no expert but it sounds to me like you definitely have a recipe for explosive growth. I went with flourish sand for my substrate so the fact you're going all out there will probably be awesome for you.

Dry start is definitely the way to go. My s repens put down some deep roots and came in THICK. Monte Carlo didn't grow much during the dry period but once I added water, it exploded. About 2-3 weeks after flooding, my s repens lost all their leaves. Just this weekend, I'm starting to see some signs of life. Hopefully yours do well for you - I've read it can be a very finicky plant.

Great fauna choice. I have blue rili shrimp and just added CPDs two days ago. I also added Chili Rasboras. I'm probably overstocked but so far everyone is settling in nicely and I hope my plant load will help my bio capacity. I'll definitely be testing parameters frequently.

If I get ambitious tomorrow, I'll compile a mini journal of my tank thus far.

Good luck!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Riekk, I have read that the monte carlo does better submersed, but did it seem to root well at least during the dry? My real goal is to get the roots established mainly the hc. depending on how long it takes for the hc to tap in I may cut the dry start a little short and get right into filling and supplying ample co2. My last little bit of serious decision making before starting at all is do I amend the substrate further or not the power sand special seems like a smart choice for a smaller tank because it has the bacter 100 and clear super carbon mixed into it. part of me thinks what I have going will be sufficient but I don't want to be hitting the plants with a lot of light and co2 without enough micro and macro. I guess I wont have any plants that feed extensively off of the rhizosphere though(is that what it is called in aquatic substrate?) Im going to be doing a lot of testing myself, the guessing game does not seem ideal.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its been a bit over a month since I first posted outlining my plan and about a month since I hardscaped and planted so I guess its time to make this thread actually interesting. The process was a little rushed as I was leaving town for a couple days the day after everything arrived, but I was eager to start anyway. The hardscape fell into place pretty quickly, and though I am pretty happy with it I am sure there are elements of the composition I overlooked. The only plants that showed up were the dwarf hair grass, HC, and S. Repens. the hair grass was in the worst shape but I wouldn't call any of it bad. The hair grass I planted in many small clumps throughout the foreground through the background, The HC I ripped apart and placed on the soil, mostly through the middle tapering off in the back to help with the illusion of depth, and the S. Repens got pulled into a couple clumps and placed in a few different spots around the ohko stones. additionally I filled some deep pockets in the large ohko stone with a little contro soil and placed some HC and Hair grass in there. Everything seems to be throwing out roots, and the HC has spread for sure. Hair grass is rooting hard but not pushing out too many runners yet. Should I have pulled these apart further? Also the only water in there was residual from the initial plant (about a cm) and I have been spraying every day. Should there be more water? Am I at a point were it would be good to fill or should I extend the dry start?
Here is a little visual update finally:

Initial planting

Today

Here is a little bit better picture of the scape

The Hair grass is pushing out deep runners, might this be due to not enough water below the surface?

I am not positive what my next move should be, but I'm feeling good about the process so far. The more I think about it I want to Have multiple species of shrimp dominate this space. Will having a small school of danios plus a lot of shrimp be too much? still trying to have a few clean up fish as well. I'm also still throwing a lot of ideas in the air about what plant/plants will reside in the back right. At the moment there is a ring of hair grass runners from the culture dish i just figured id root out in the mean time.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just filled last night and it has definitely made this tank better to look at.

also I have a co2 tank and a regulator but am wondering how safe it will be to use the regulator. I'm sure it will work but im afraid of a big dump of co2. won't have fish for another week or two and in that time I am going to seek out a nice regulator but will this do the job in the mean time without any intense failure?

Dman911 and Dman911 like this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 07:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nice setup.

You could get a drop checker to get an idea if you are pumping the right amount of co2 in.

As long there is no livestock you should be fine with pumping co2 in.

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I probably won't add any fauna for a few weeks simply because I want to dial everything in. Unfortunately I hit my first real bump in the road, my twinstar 450E suddenly stopped working. I am working with the folks at buceplant to hopefully figure this out but there is not much information about these lights otherwise. It comes with no paperwork and their website is pretty uninformative. Right now Im trying to keep the ball rolling with a much weaker desk light. Right before this happened I also added some new plants, that I'm hoping will get through this low light fiasco.

Other than that I will probably get a drop checker and some other co2 gear this week. What is the best site to get regulators from? I know there are a lot of options
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I got hit with some light problems conveniently right after planting some new plants and have had an explosion in algae since then. I am trying to battle it by manually removing lots of hair algae and doing a water change every 2 or 3 days, but it persists.

Here is what i am dealing with.

Most plants are growing but covered, the S. Repens however completely aborted mission I am about to water change and take it all out. I am also about to order a new filter and some co2 equipment( assuming co2 is an issue), oh yea and testing kits. What else should I be doing to combat this? the light is currently running 6 hours a day as well. other info I will get on as soon as I am able. No where near giving up but i got my self into it this time
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 08:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by .boogphįh. View Post
So I got hit with some light problems conveniently right after planting some new plants and have had an explosion in algae since then. I am trying to battle it by manually removing lots of hair algae and doing a water change every 2 or 3 days, but it persists.

Here is what i am dealing with.

Most plants are growing but covered, the S. Repens however completely aborted mission I am about to water change and take it all out. I am also about to order a new filter and some co2 equipment( assuming co2 is an issue), oh yea and testing kits. What else should I be doing to combat this? the light is currently running 6 hours a day as well. other info I will get on as soon as I am able. No where near giving up but i got my self into it this time
Can't see the pictures :/

Eheim Pimp #351, Classic 2213.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My mistake I think this should work, cant figure out how to make them bigger..

ordering things today, any help is much appreciated. should I be trying to pick up a big clean up crew? I dont have anywhere near by to get fauna so I have to make an order. does anyone have a preferred source?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by .boogphįh. View Post
My mistake I think this should work, cant figure out how to make them bigger..

ordering things today, any help is much appreciated. should I be trying to pick up a big clean up crew? I dont have anywhere near by to get fauna so I have to make an order. does anyone have a preferred source?
Hmm looks like diatoms for the most part, which is often associated with a new tank. I had a diatom bloom when I first started up my 45u, but it kind of went away on it's own. I do have CO2 though so that might have helped. Also, some algae tend to grow when there isn't much flow; perhaps your Azoo Mignon isn't providing enough circulation?

Eheim Pimp #351, Classic 2213.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

In an attempt to obliterate the algae I gave the tank the one two punch of h2o2 and excel and manually ripped up all that I could. I dosed about 30ml of 3% h2o2 let it circulate while moving the filter around to get it spread thoroughly. After probably 25 minutes I started a >50% water change, filled back up and dosed the recommended, capful per 10 gallons, of excel. Conveniently I just got my eheim 2211 and now have that hard at work.

About to hook up my co2 tonight I think the regulator I have is not going to be great but hopefully it works until I can get into something better. My question at this point is how hard should I trim everything back? really want to lighten up the hc carpet to allow for new green growth. Oh and I have my water parameters..
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate:20ppm? (this was real hard to read not having done it before but I think it was 20 plus or minus)
PH: 6.8
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have pushed back a lot of the algea and am getting a lot of new growth, muted out the light a little and am still waiting on a regulator that is consistent. havent been dosing ferts as to avoid an algae rebound.. I have to move my tank about 30 minutes away from where I live now. What would be the best way to do this? completely disassemble and keep some water? take plants out? whats my safest route? also if i took all the plants out to rescape after the move could I give them an h202/excel rinse? trying to move the tank this weekend
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

a lot has happened since my last update. I moved into a new house, rescaped slightly after the move, built a new stand and got some new friends in the water. I was able to push back my algae and just set up my GLA Gro-2 regulator. Things are looking up. Photos are still from an iphone I apologize for that but it's what I have to work with at the moment.

Ill try to achieve some more detail and get a few more pictures up

Right now I am running my lights 7 hours a day with a 3hour rest after the first 3 hours co2 turns on an hour before light and off an hour before lights off. This is running at about 1.5 bps I would say. I am dosing UNS all in one fertilizer right now but also got everything for EI dosing from GLA. Im thinking about running the UNS for another week to see how things react but part of me also wants to start the tried and true EI.

I need a wider variety of plants as well I am thinking of adding A. Reinekii mini, rotalla mini butterfly, blyxa japonica and want to choose a few more that would work well, maybe a variety of ludwigia. Any suggestions?

Fauna I've added is 12 espei rasboras, 3 more amano shrimp, 2 tiger blood nerites, 1 assasin snail and 1 SAE who is having some problems..the day it went in it seemed fine then would just sit in spots for long periods of time even going belly up at times, at the bottom. i moved him and he swam off with limited range of motion. he has been hanging onn and seems to be breathing normally and eating wherever he is but he can not move around so well, not sure what to do.

as you can see the second half of the dude is a little wonky
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok so.. Diatoms. Everywhere.. I think I need to get some more plants to compete with algae for one, but I have dropped some photoperiod time and am dosing EI. maybe Im just waiting for stability? HC is growing flat which seems like a good sign. but Im afraid Im not getting enough or the right ratio of nutrients for amount of light.. co2 is at about 2 bps right now fish are showing no signs of stress. Im working my hardest to figure this out myself but can anyone point out anything im doing horribly wrong?.. also a bit of good news I will have a real nice camera in a few weeks and around that time I will have a gallery exhibit fully setup and will have more time for the tank and maybe another? really trying to tap into this art!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode