OwNeD162 - First Planted Tank - Low Tech 20G - 'The Peak' - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By OwNeD162

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool OwNeD162 - First Planted Tank - Low Tech 20G - 'The Peak'

Hey all,
This is my first ever planted tank. I've come from the reefing world, but after not having a tank at all the last 2yrs I decided to setup a low tech planted tank on my desk at work.
Being from the reefing world I couldn't go past the Innovative Marine Fusion Nano 20 as an all in one. I wanted an Iwagumi style setup with a big feature rock, but I also wanted some caves / hiding spots for the shrimp I'm planning on picking up.

The Scape

Straight after planting / water

After everything had calmed down

Top down

Overall I'm quite happy with how the scape turned out. When everything starts to grow in I think it will lend itself to a nice open area on the left for the fish to swim, and the right should grow in to form a dense forest for everything to hide / to add some extra depth and character.

This is the tank after a week

Specs
IM Fusion Nano 20
Fluval Fresh & Plant 2.0
Hydor 100W Heater
Seachem Purigen
Seachem Matrix

Substrate
ADA Penac P
ADA Penac W
ADA Power Sand
ADA Bacter 100
ADA Tourmaline BC
ADA Clear Super
ADA Amazonia
ADA La Plata Sand (For decoration)

Ferts
Seachem Flourish Tabs
Seachem Flourish

Flora
Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'
Alternanthera Reineckii "Mini"
Rotala SP "Green"
Ludwigia Arcuata (Hidden in the back)

Fauna - Still waiting for cycle to complete
Harlequin Rasbora x 12 (Small School)
Otocinclus Catfish x 3 (Algae Control)
Red Cherry Shrimp x 10 (Hopefully they'll reproduce and create a solid community)

Thanks for taking a look, I hope to keep this updated fairly regularly.

Bump: Also, I noticed this morning that some of the plants have symptoms of what I believe to be BBA? Can someone confirm that's what this is?

I've started dosing Excel in an attempt to ward it off before it really sets in.
Any other tips would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,
Mitchell.
noirsphynx and noirsphynx like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:03 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Its a great start. I'm just returning to the hobby and have seen a couple reef aquariums used in FW now. Is this a new trend? I'm quite intrigued by the all in ones like you have, especially if they are easily serviceable.

Are you injecting co2? It seems like quite a bit a light if you aren't running hi-tec. But maybe it just looks that way from the pictures, its hard to to tell. Could be the LEDs too, another new trend I've noticed since I've come back.

oh, I almost forgot!
Welcome to the hobby and forums!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:13 AM
Algae Grower

That looks more like brown diatoms, this will always occur in new setups. I wouldnt worry to much about it as it will dissappear over time. I would say you'd need to inject Co2 in time as your MC will grow very slow however your lights will help that but not help algea which I would say you'd get.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:17 AM
Algae Grower

By the way I'm loving the scape too :-)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:10 AM
Algae Grower

Really digging this! Nice tank!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Flugal Edge 6 gal.

Complete Newbie, go easy on me.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:09 PM

Nice set-up. I too am from the reefing world and am feeling somewhat lost without a tank since shutting everything down. It's nice to see a Nuvo in use. I have an empty Nuvo 20 sitting unused too so your thread has got me thinking of setting it up for fresh. Looking forward to following this one =)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf View Post
Its a great start. I'm just returning to the hobby and have seen a couple reef aquariums used in FW now. Is this a new trend? I'm quite intrigued by the all in ones like you have, especially if they are easily serviceable.

Are you injecting co2? It seems like quite a bit a light if you aren't running hi-tec. But maybe it just looks that way from the pictures, its hard to to tell. Could be the LEDs too, another new trend I've noticed since I've come back.

oh, I almost forgot!
Welcome to the hobby and forums!
Thanks for the welcome! I forgot how nice it is to be on a forum where everyone has a similar passion, it's good to be back in the aquarium world!
I can't comment on any trends but more than happy to be a trend setter :P!

No CO2 injection yet, I am planning on adding it down the road but unfortunately a 'basic' CO2 setup here in Australia can run upwards of US$400+. The light is only 36W, so in theory I'm at 1.8W/gallon which I believe is low / medium light, but it is nice and bright to my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsankey88 View Post
That looks more like brown diatoms, this will always occur in new setups. I wouldnt worry to much about it as it will dissappear over time. I would say you'd need to inject Co2 in time as your MC will grow very slow however your lights will help that but not help algea which I would say you'd get.

By the way I'm loving the scape too :-)
Thanks jsankey88! Ok that's good to know, I'll keep any eye on it, but hopefully when I put the Otto's in there they'll take care of it.
So far I'm quite impressed with the MC growth, already forming runners and new stems, but it's definitely my plan to go CO2 eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderwt View Post
Really digging this! Nice tank!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noirsphynx View Post
Nice set-up. I too am from the reefing world and am feeling somewhat lost without a tank since shutting everything down. It's nice to see a Nuvo in use. I have an empty Nuvo 20 sitting unused too so your thread has got me thinking of setting it up for fresh. Looking forward to following this one =)
Thanks very much! You should definitely do it. It's been quite eye opening how different the two worlds are, in the reefing world it was always 'use RO/DI, make sure the salinity is correct and everything else kind of falls in to place', in the freshwater world I'm measuring hardness, dosing ferts, etc.. But I highly recommend it, it's been interesting learning all of the different aspects. The Nuvo is a great tank, probably more suited to reefing but is working really well for me so far!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just a quick update. The tank has been up for almost two weeks now and I believe I'm starting to see the end of the cycle. I've got a bit of green algae growing on the sand and glass

I also noticed some hitchhikers this morning! These tiny little snails. I've noticed about 5 so far. Does anyone know what they are? Should I try and get them out now or are they harmless?

Also, my Monte Carlo doesn't look super happy this morning. A few of the leaves have turned clear, and it just doesn't look as happy / healthy as it did on Friday. I haven't changed anything. Could this be part of the cycle process? Is it just settling in, or do you think it is dying?

And finally a new FTS!

Thanks for looking,
OwNeD162!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Another quick update. The water parameters are finally starting to swing the right direction.
My tests last Thursday showed this:

Ph: 7.2-7.6
Ammonia: 8ppm
Nitrite: 1-2ppm
Nitrate: 80ppm (not sure why this was so high, could be because I was adding Seachem Stability)

I did a big 50% water change on Thursday after the tests and then another on Saturday.

Tests this evening show:

PH: 6.8-7
Ammonia: 0-0.25ppm
Nitrite: 1-2ppm
Nitrate: 5-10ppm

So looks like I'm nearing the end of the cycle (which is about right after 2wks running fishless with bacteria starter).
Ammonia is all but gone, and nitrite is getting nice and low. A few more days and the tank will be ready for some livestock!

Also, I managed to get a slightly better photo of the hitchhiking snails.. Any ideas?

Cheers,
OwNeD162
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 03:31 PM
Algae Grower

Honestly, everything looks like it is going well so far. I wouldn't worry about the Monte Carlo, it will take more than a week to settle in especially if it is coming from an emersed setup. I would expect it to start looking a little lusher and filling out a bit around week 4-5.

Look luck!

recognize the OODA loop within everything you do

Tags
fusion 20, nuvo 20, the peak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode