2.5G planted jar. Any fish options? - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5G planted jar. Any fish options?

Howdy.

I've set up a 2.5g jar with a heater and sponge filter and heater and everything. I was thinking of just putting shrimp and snails in it, but I've read about people putting tiny fish in setups like this and was wondering if anyone had done this or has any recommendations?

Here is a picture:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170514_203434.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	756402
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:23 AM
Algae Grower

Nope.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Sure you can.

Some microfish that's I'm pretty confident would be happy there include:

Heterandria Formosa (world's smallest livebearer and US native, no heater needed)
Mircodevario Kubotai
Bororas Maculatus
Bororas Brigittae

and so on. Tiny little fish, but they'll still need good care and at least weekly water changes. Assuming your temps are both high enough and stable, a betta can work *one that likes small tanks*

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

I have a bunch of Bororas Brigittae in another tank. They are so cute!

I'd never heard of Mircodevario Kubotai, they seem interesting. Might see if they are available near me. Thanks!
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
People who have had kubotai told me that they were very active, so they needed a 20 gallon tank. Most kind of nano fish love to shoal, so a 2.5 gallon is not suitable for them.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:40 AM
Algae Grower

I disagree with Kehy's suggestions. All of those fish would probably be better suited to at least the base dimensions of a 5 gallon standard tank. Simply because the fish are small doesn't mean they need a small space. What are the dimensions of that jar? IMO I don't think you should put any fish in the jar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmo View Post
I disagree with Kehy's suggestions. All of those fish would probably be better suited to at least the base dimensions of a 5 gallon standard tank. Simply because the fish are small doesn't mean they need a small space. What are the dimensions of that jar? IMO I don't think you should put any fish in the jar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Heterandria Formosa I know from personal experience would be perfectly happy in that jar, perhaps as many as 10 of them. I've had a colony of 20 in my 5, and had I not thrown as many as I could catch in a pond, I'd have had more. I've kept 10 in a 2.5 gallon jar like this, even less densely planted. They didn't care. They were happy and active, and had no issues with the tight quarters.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 04:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I've seen vlogs of people successfully keeping and breeding pygmy sunfish (Elassoma sp.) in similar planted 2.5g set ups, check Inglorious Bettas on YouTube.

i love corydoras
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Can keep and eagle in a bird cage,or raise a child in a closet,what does this prove?
Do we think the eagle or child would thrive?
Do we think the fishes might like larger tank,or do we care?
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 07:19 PM
Algae Grower

A betta can be perfectly happy in a 2.5g, especially if it's this heavily planted. Bigger is always preferable but it can work fine. I've seen people keep Boraras successfully in tanks that size, too.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Its better to give fish a larger (specifically longer) tank with more water volume-more water=more stable environment (ph, temp, nitrogen dilution, etc).
The only fish I'd consider in a 2.5 is a betta, with no tank mates-a snail has a surprisingly large bio load for its size, also no shrimp ans they have a high possibility of being on the menu-bettas are predators so don't' except them to ignore their hunting instincts when presented with a food source (shrimp).
Set tank temp in the 76-82F range for your betta.
When buying a betta if you get it local check cup-make sure no white poop (sign of illness), only buy an (1) active betta that reacts to you, if its lethargic or having sbd problems (stuck at surface or at bottom of cup) it has problems. Check closely for ich, fin rot, eye fungus, or external parasites. Usually these guys can be fixed (often with just warm tank with clean water-daily 90%+ water change, sometimes some meds/aq salt are needed) but if you don't want a hospital tank and some extra work get a healthier betta.
Be mindful of ones with scales starting to grow over their eyes (this is call diamond eye) common in metallic and dragon scale betas-scales can grow over the eyes and partially or fully blind them. They are not too difficult to keep but need a little extra care when it comes to feeding-must have a consistent feeding spot and ques used to tell them to come eat. I have/had 4 bettas with eye issues and all were able to eat with just a little extra attention-one had to eat food from the substrate as they top of his eyes were completely covered, others feed at the surface but take a little more work than non diamond eyes.
I'm not trying to deter you from having a betta-I have quite a few and LOVE them but some can take a little work/extra care.
diverjoe and diverjoe like this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 02:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
I'd go just shrimp and snails. Effectively with the plants and other things in there it's more like 1.5G and it's vertical.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 04:24 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I second AquaAurora, snails can have a surprisingly large bioload! Especially if you have species that breed in freshwater like MTS or pond snails who over time can become swarms.

One thing interesting to note is how we often relegate bettas to the smallest of tanks despite advocating for smaller species needing larger set ups. I understand species behavior is a difference, as most 'nano' fish are schoolers and prefer space to shoal around. Many find bettas a lot more stagnant, perhaps due to the (perhaps terrible) mutations we have bred into them, or boredom, but the exceptionalism is still interesting to see. Subjective metaphors aside, observing successful and unsuccessful attempts at keeping fish/organisms in set ups like yours is the best track to seeing what works for you.

i love corydoras

Last edited by limeslide; 06-02-2017 at 05:47 PM. Reason: x
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 05:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

I think that perhaps the most important quotation that hasn't really been looked at is the footprint of the tank. A 1/2" fish might very well be comfortable in a tank 20 times its length. That would be a 10" tank. Small, yes, but not unreasonable for such a small fish.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kehy View Post
I think that perhaps the most important quotation that hasn't really been looked at is the footprint of the tank. A 1/2" fish might very well be comfortable in a tank 20 times its length. That would be a 10" tank. Small, yes, but not unreasonable for such a small fish.
Most important quotation to me was in title of thread "A jar"
houseofcards and houseofcards like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode