Newbie's First Planted Tank! - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By gupspace

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newbie's First Planted Tank!

Hi all! I started my very first planted tank about a month ago. I've had some great results, but also some casualties...

Equipment:
4 gallon
Azoo Mignon Filter 360 HOB
6W LED lamp
Varzea CO2 Beginner Set
Substrate (I'm not sure which brand I bought)

Stock:
Monte carlo carpet
Micro sword grass
Red cabomba
1 blue velvet shrimp
1 crystal red shrimp
3 endler guppies
2 round tail guppies

Care:
Distilled water
30% water change weekly
TetraMin flakes 1-2 times a day
Light 12 hours a day
CO2: 1 bubble per 2-3 seconds

First Week:
I planted my monte carlo and waited 1 week before stocking my tank (just after a water change). My blue velvet shrimp (much smaller than my crystal red) got stuck in the filter that night and didn't make it. Even with a stocking on the filter!

Second Week:
At the end of the second week, my filter was just trickling water. I saw signs of green algae so I removed the stocking and set my filter to the lowest flow possible. My two smallest endler guppies died in the filter that night! I immediately put back the stocking. I also had to trim my red cabomba already. They grew so quickly! They had beautiful purple flowers when I bought them, which eventually withered away, but I hope they'll be back.

Third Week:
Green algae bloomed very quickly during the third week. It wasn't out of control, but I didn't have anything to clean the walls of the tank yet. I kept the lamp and CO2 off for three days days until I got tools in the mail. My apartment has a lot of bright light during the day, but my tank is kept away from direct sun. I cut back feeding to just once a day. I also replaced the stocking with a trimmed piece of pre-filter sponge, which allows for a lot more water flow. It was at this time my monte carlo finally covered the tank floor like a real carpet! But by the end of the week, my crystal red shrimp started behaving strangely--slow and uncoordinated at times. He/she died and I don't know why!

Fourth Week:
I tested my water the day after my second shrimp died. GH=30-60, KH=40-80, pH=6.0 (though my test strip cannot measure below 6.0), Nitrite=0, Nitrate=0=20. I think these results are relatively average? I then did some deep cleaning--scrubbed my rock, trimmed my monte carlo, scraped the walled of algae, and did a 50% water change. My filter sponge is brown now and I will be changing it very soon.

My remaining guppies seem happy! They are very active and love foraging on the monte carlo carpet. I noticed one of my guppies got hangry when I cut down of feeding. He/she would push around the other guppies during feeding. Is there any chance this behavior can escalate to hurting the other fish?

I'm also wondering if there are any red flags to address before I try raising more shrimp? Would love to know your thoughts! I was advised I didn't have to provide any shrimp pellets, but I can't help but wonder if I starved my shrimp??

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...UlmWFJjczFNSm8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Photos of how my tank progressed in 1 month!

-Gupspace
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:09 PM
Algae Grower

Tank looks very nice. I'm new to trying to keep a serious tank myself so I can't answer many if your concerns. All I have is constant research and just a month of a running tank... But one thing I noticed is your hardness seems insanely high. Are you on well water? Or are those measurements in ppm? If ppm, your water might be too soft for shrimp to molt properly. If degrees of hardness, too hard for them to molt.

Also, did you cycle your tank at all prior to stocking it? You didn't give an ammonia measurement but that could be why you lost some livestock as well.

You Monte Carlo looks great, btw.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

I wasn't sure if I remembered my water test results correctly, so I took another. It looks like you're right--too soft for shrimp to molt properly... I'm sorry shrimp!!

I use bottled distilled water only as recommended by my local shop. I guess I need to look into water conditioners. Are my guppies in immediate danger?

-Gupspace
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:30 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupspace View Post
I wasn't sure if I remembered my water test results correctly, so I took another. It looks like you're right--too soft for shrimp to molt properly... I'm sorry shrimp!!

I use bottled distilled water only as recommended by my local shop. I guess I need to look into water conditioners. Are my guppies in immediate danger?

You should consider some type of remineralizer. Pure distilled isn't good for plants or fish because it lacks any sort of nutrients/minerals. Treated tap water should also be ok, but some people like the complete control of remineralized distilled/RO water.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode