1Likes
  • 2 Post By TwistedAngel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Marineland Portrait - Office Tank Help

Hello everyone.

I am permitted a tank in my office cubicle, no larger than 5 gallons. I previously had a 4 gallon not-quite cube aquarium that was home to a betta. The betta passed on a couple of weeks ago, and I have an Anubias nana "tree" that no longer fits well in the tank. The anubias leaves were pressing against the hood.

The only tank I could find that was tall enough that I shouldn't have to replace it again for the growth of the Anubias nana that also fell under the 5 gallon hard limit was the Marineland Portrait 5 gallon, so I purchased it.

Now that I have it in my hands, I see a couple of glaring issues. The usable footprint of the tank for fauna unaltered is about 9 X 7. I originally wanted Shrimp + half a dozen CPDs, but I don't really know if 9 X 7 is a usable footprint for ANY fish, regardless of the depth of the tank. The CPDs that were in my bookshelf tank made use of every available inch of space when they thought no one was around. Are there ANY relatively shrimp safe fish that would not only survive, but be comfortable in a tank with this footprint? Danionella sp. maybe?

I had algae issues with my other office tank, and based on some things I have read on here, I believe the included LEDs contributed, since about half of them were blue. This tank also comes with a blue/white LED strip, I hate it, and I can't find any information about wattage/lumens, etc. for this light fixture. I want to replace it, unless I am misunderstanding blue LEDs being an issue. I need suggestions for a replacement that will not bump me into the Mid - High light range. I would prefer something that clips.

I want this to be a heavily planted from the start, low tech, low light walstad-ish tank. I may be willing to lightly dose ferts and excel, but that is about it, and I don't want to have to worry about leaving for a week and coming back to algae city. (I have coworkers that were designated to feed the fish and check the tank if I wasn't in the office, but that is about all I would trust them with. The lights will be on a timer.)

I am thinking about purchasing 20-40 cryptocoryne parava for a low maintenance insta-carpet, and maybe some java fern or something similar. I have some Flourite black on the way, because I was originally going to try and use microsword as my carpet plant, but since the anubias plants will be close to the top, I changed my mind. I don't think I could get enough light to the microswords without burning up the anubias since the microsword will be 12+ inches from the light and the anubias will be maybe 4.

If I absolutely HAVE to, I can detach the anubias from the top of the driftwood, attach it close to the bottom, and try something else for the top of the tree (Subwassertang, maybe? I love the effect but don't want the headache of trying to maintain that.)

Does anyone have any suggestions/input for this?

Thanks,
Anorea and Anorea like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Apparently what I am asking for is impossible. I did some more reading on blue LEDs and have ordered a stingray led, macro and micro ferts, and excel, in case anyone was curious.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:48 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
That sounds really cool! I don't know enough to help, but good luck!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode